Windows 7... this is it folks?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oddballracing, Oct 28, 2009.

1. oddballracing

oddballracing MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Well, i'ts good to know that this forum is not a repeat of the M$ home page with endless twitter praises and the like.

I agree with what was said that most settings within windows 7 are customizable, though unfortunately i have found many that still appear to be static. I have no problems with microsoft ADDING features and options, but when these options are put in to replace those that have been proven to work well in previous versions, it totally negates their claims of "The NEW Efficiency". I didn't upgrade to windows XP until 2004/05 (or my servers to 2003 until 2006/07) as i was satisfied with environment provided by windows 2000 and it's associated productivity/server solutions. Even that upgrade was bittersweet (though a minor change in comparison to anything based on the 6.x kernel), as i found many things such as control panel icons and management console modules to have been rearranged unnecessarily. I can understand that these changes may have been made to accomodate the former windows 9x customers rather than those upgrading from 2000 or NT4. If that was the case, why couldn't it have been developed so that home customers could have it one way, and business another. I still to this day do not agree with the default settings that are configured from a clean install of windows xp professional. For that, i have got into the habit of change default profile settings (Something that seems to be more hassle than it is worth in windows 7 and even in vista.)

I guess i should take a second to here to let it be known that it is not just windows 7 that i am at odds with, windows xp has it's quirks, and vista is still an operating system that i avoid if at all possible. Service packs have been released to settle some of these issues, but i just can't help feeling alienated as an IT administratoror business "customer".

I cannot say here (like Mac or 'nix advocate) that because of this Microsoft is S*** because even now i see utilities and software being released by them that appears to have merit, and some that i am sincerely impressed with. I just feel that i shouldn't have to spend so much time and lose so much patience researching workarounds or utilities that should undoubtedly be an integral part of the operating system. I understand that the operating system is only an RTM build as of yet, and that is what service packs exist to reconcile, but this is clearly just a new release of windows vista that contains functionality that could have been added via a service pack/feature pack. I can only begin to think microsoft has run out of ideas to truly make things better, and are now just changing things, hyping it up, making it look pretty (cheesy) and selling it in a desperate attempt to stay on top. I think Bill took all the good ideas with him. Right now windows is heading on a crash course with Apple towards a home user desktop product and nothing suitable for the business environment.

I have only tested windows 7 for a short while, but it doesn't appear to have made any headway beyond the mentality of vista. I am writing this article on a computer running windows 7 x64 professional RTM (6.1.7600) with all updates available via windows update to date. I am doing this in an effort to become familiar with this operating system in my everyday tasks, but unfortunately i am finding myself time and time again, pushing the button on my kvm to complete the task(s) on my windows xp machine. I can only HOPE that i will learn to love/like this operating system, but right now my faith is waning that i will even be able to tolerate it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...