Windows 7 To Windows 10 Install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by uffbros, Nov 28, 2015.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I am having great trouble clean installing a Win 7 laptop to Win 10. I am attempting the clean install via the trick where you save the xml file created by a file in windows 10 install disk and you only have to install once and clean. I try and boot the laptop with a Win 10 USB install that is working in other machines. Bios lets me select my usb drive but then says to retry. Nothing works. I look in BIOS and see no secure boot so must not be UEFI. My install USB is made for UEFI GPT install. The drive is MBR right now so I thought I maybe had to convert to GPT...so I did that with success but my USB installer still doesn't work. I have followed 10 different guides but the Win 10 won't boot from the Drive. I am now installing 7 again and will upgrade to 10 from within Windows but it is killing me as to why I can't do a normal clean install. What am I doing wrong? How should I prepare my USB install? I use Rufus? It works perfect on UEFI installs. Thanks for any advise for future reference.