Windows 7 + TPM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DKane, Dec 28, 2009.

1. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Okay, so I've installed Windows 7 on a friend's laptop, a Lenovo R61, that previously had vista. It has a TPM, which is known because it was enabled and managing bitlocker under vista.

I disabled bitlocker to upgrade; I also cleared the TPM, just in case. Now, once 7 is installed, TPM disappears. Poof, gone. Device manager can't see it, and there is no TPM in the list of legacy devices to manually add. There's a "security devices" section, but it's empty.

Extracting the tpm driver from vista, and using it with "Have Disk..." works, kind of. I can't take ownership of the TPM from tpm.msc. It tells me to do it from the BIOS, but:
    a) I didn't need to do this under vista
    b) There is no option to take ownership in the BIOS

So, basically, for some reason, Windows 7's TPM compatability has gone walkabout. The inbuilt driver, despite being physically there (ie tpm.ini and tpm.sys are present), seems to be empty, or non-working. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a way around it?

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Have you checked to see if there's a BIOS update for this laptop?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    #3 DKane, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    (OP)
    Yup, I updated it before installing Windows 7. Latest version is 7OETC3WW (2.23-1.08); I just checked to BIOS setup to be sure, and the numbers match.

EDIT: Well, Windows 7 mysteriously decided to auto-detect the TPM, despite refusing to before. It then mysteriously decided to not boot. But after restoring from the latest restore point, all is good. I was allowed to take ownership of the TPM, and bitlocker is re-enabled!

EDIT2: Okay, I jumped the gun. Bitlocker is now saying: "access is denied", on the "checking your computer's configuration" screen.

EDIT3: ...Which would be because I "cleverly" gave write permission on the boot files only to TrustedInstaller. It *seemed* like the right thing to do...

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm unclear as to whether you got your issue sorted or not. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Yes, it's all fixed, I undid the stupid thing I did. It now works.