Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit installation missing Media Feature and Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by simple0, Oct 18, 2015.

1. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on an old netbook using an iso downloaded from the Net. After waiting two days (slow processor) for over 250 Windows updates to install, I discovered Windows Media Player and the Media Feature are missing. They probably have been streamlined from the original installation. This iso is for Windows 7 Ultimate not Windwos 7 N Ultimate, so I cannot install the Media Feature Pack for N and KN.

I use WMP only for playing DRM protected files, but I still have one of those from time to time (if anybody knows of another multimedia player with support for DRM, without involving WMP, I'll appreciate that tip). I wonder if there is a method to add the missing features to Windows 7 without wiping out the hard disk and reinstalling from a different disc/iso? Google did not help much with this!

2. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    Thank you for your answer. I'm trying to avoid though, starting everything again, from scratch. The current installation works very well, and I've checked with Process Monitor if something is not kosher. If Media Feature and WMP cannot be added, I guess I'll just have to live with it. I'm using PotPlayer for anything, anyway.

3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    So you feel all is NOT right ? :confused:

Yet your going to live with it ? :confused:

Not the choice I would make.

4. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    The iso I used to install was named "Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bits Dark Theme for netbooks". I expected some components were streamlined for netbook use. That's why I'm not worried about the missing Media Feature and WMP. I think they were streamlined on purpose by somebody who does not love WMP very much. In my case, I'm not using WMP either, but it's mandatory if you have to run DRM protected files.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    The only modded image you should be installing is one you made yourself.

I personally would never use an image like what your are describing.

6. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    Thank you again for answering and for advice. I understand your concerns about using stuff from the Net. I'm normally as careful as yourself. However, I also know (without pretending to be infallible) how to check for bad things. I haven't got an infection (unless I wanted to) since Windows 98 SE.

Your profile is displayed as an expert on this forum. Do you happen to know if the Media Feature can be added to an existing installation?

Thank you! :)

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Expert. :clap:

Just means I have posted a lot.

As for adding the media features. No idea, never had to try that.
    Only one way to find out.
    I have taken the Win32calc from an Enterprise edition and added it to a Pro edition.
    If the WMP is a similar package ??? Have a go ya self.

But then if you had to get a Pro image you could just instal that.

8. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    Oh, thank you for the suggestion. But you're right, I could install Pro, instead of adding the Media Feature to the modded Ultimate. I was thinking more in the terms of modifying some registry settings or file(s), to make the current installation look like an Ultimate N. That would make the Media Feature Pack for N and KN possible to install.

Of course, like most visitors of these forums, it is mostly for the challenge. I have four more machines running newer versions of Windows, including 10. It's not like this netbook is my only computer! But I very much appreciate your willingness to help AND the conversation! :)

Thank you!

9. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I would count that as a bonus myself !!

Any W7 install I have done , I disable Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer from the start.

VLC does everything I want from a media player .... at least in Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    Yes, I've downloaded it immediately after I've noticed WMP is missing. It doesn't want to install though, because my version of Windows is Ultimate 32-bit, NOT Ultimate N 32-bit. That's why I was hoping to find a guru on this forum who knows a trick to make this package believe it's the correct version of Windows. Thank you for the link though!

This netbook came (back in late 2008) with XP Home Edition 32-bit. It didn't work great and I replaced the OS with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, as soon as it came out in 2009. It was MUCH better, and it served me well when I was traveling and I needed something small to connect to my servers. However, media playing was very poor with an 1.6 GHz single core Atom processor, an Intel Mobile 945 Express GPU and 2 GB of RAM. It was struggling bad with 720p, while 1080p was out of question. Imagine my surprise when, with this new Ultimate 32-bit installation, it plays 1080p with only a few dropped frames and 720p PERFECTLY!! And that from the 4 TB external USB HDD connected to my router! This is why I am reluctant to wipe it out and do a new install from a new ISO.

11. simple0

simple0 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    #13 simple0, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    (OP)
    @Mutoid:
    Sorry, I did not notice your comment! You're right, not having WMP is more like a bonus! Except when you need to run older DRM protected files (wmv), which only WMP can play. More recently DRM is played with Silverlight players, which are also on their way to become obsolete.

As for VLC, I've used it for many years. It is inferior though, in my opinion, to PotPlayer. Except for a VERY long file loading time from Windows Explorer, PotPlayer does anything better and has more features than any other free or commercial multimedia player.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #14 Enthousiast, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    So it's your choice:

keep this (over)modded install and not being able to play your drm protected mediafiles and play 720/1040p films.

or

Reinstall with a reliable msdn or only pre updated win 7 iso and being able to play your drm protected mediafiles but not being able to play the 720/1040p films (which probably play just fine also).