Windows 7 VERY slow browsing folders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spamer80, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Out of the box from my desk ;-) and from the Kaspersky-Downloadsite (even the newest betaversion from the kasperskyforums didn´t work fine):D

I don´t say, that KIS/KAV are bad programs (nice detection rate and easy to config) but the "performance-problems" are very annoying.

This was btw the reason why i switched to ESET (Smart Security 4.0) ... was like releasing the handbrake of my system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. milvaen

milvaen MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
    Thank you thank you thank you uninstalling KIS solved the 0.5 - 1 sec lag when opening folders!!!

3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #23 genuine555, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009

I did the very same thing. Now running NOD32 4.0. Note that the standalone is better than ESET, because it's firewall is no good.

You're welcome. You're the fifth one in a month to confirm this :rolleyes:
    Only the others had delays of several seconds.

4. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    .5 - 1 second?? I guess you can see the difference .5sec can make!! :p How precise you are to tell a difference .5sec is!:D

5. thanashs567

thanashs567 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Thank you, problem solved

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    The thing about all of this is that KIS was one of very few suites that passed the leak test with a score greater than 97% - all the rest failed miserably including Norton McAfee NOD32 etc - most failed with a score of less than 20%.

What is a leak test ? - It determines if programs, viruses, trojans, keyloggers etc can send your details out to some other computer.

Most suites block malware very well but few passed the leak test and KIS was almost 100%.

So, I'll stick with a bit of annoyance - not that it happens on my computer - for the benefits that come with KIS - sandboxing and a non-intrusive A+++ anti everything suite that just works for novice and experienced users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    May I add that matousec's leak test focusses on FW protection. Of all those suites, it is not the AV that failed, but built-in FW and malware protection.

The standalone versions of the same brands have very different results, and so as standalone AV's they perform much better. It's just their firewall and other incorporated features that fail in the suites.

So yes, it is a REAL shame that KIS has these slowdown issues. Otherwise I would be using it myself probably (I think I allready said that :confused:).

Because of this, I'm still convinced that, for now, the best choice is a standalone AV, a standalone FW, and a good malware agent.

8. sagar11105

sagar11105 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    problem solved when i uninstalled the kis............ now folders r opening quickly now im switched to eset smart security

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    most software firewalls are not that strict in their rules so people don't have to sit there and configure a firewall.

The big problems is most software firewalls have an ANY-ANY rule toward the bottom of their rule set so consumers don't get bounced off the internet and have no idea why.

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Which is one of the reasons most FW's miserably fail the leak tests.
    The exceptions are few : Outpost, KIS and Comodo being the best known ones.

11. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    There are plenty free for personal use AV, anti maleware and firewall programs, that perform better than commercial programs and are very light for computer.

My computer is a custom build 7 years old with partial upgrades to some components and I don't have those problems.

Cheers