Windows 7 vs Server 2008 r2 vs Vail for simple server stuff

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by joykill, Sep 7, 2010.

1. joykill

joykill MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    Guys

Sorry for the noob question, but I cant decide what to install now that my WHS went south on me.

Simple specs first:
    q6600 cpu
    4 gig ram
    2x1.5 tb space

Server is for:
    Transcoding on the fly to ps3 (ps3 media server)
    storing audio and video to be shared to everyone on network (everyone = 2 people.....)

I dont do remote backups of clients, and drive pooling isnt a major turnon for me.

Now, is there a point to going with a server system instead of windows 7, and in that case; what is that point(s)?

Please dont bbq me!
    Cheers!

2. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    For what you're doing, you could get away with Windows 7 as a server just fine, as you're not really taking advantage of anything that 2008R2 will offer, but just running third party software.

Plus, since only two clients are connecting you won't have to worry about the desktop's limitations on client connections.

If you were thinking about running a full blown IIS installation (7 does it too, but again, limited), or some other "real server" work that justified it, then by all means yes use R2. But for a small network setup and one instance of a media encoder, I'd just go with what's more comfortable to work with as it'll give you less hassles.

Plus if it matters you to, you have the option of 32 or 64 bit kernels with Windows 7, but R2 is purely 64 bit only; that's on you, depending on your hardware and software of course. Not all apps/drivers play nicely with 64 bit yet, but going 32 may reduce your 4GB down to the 3.3GB-ish range if I recall. (Not positive, running 64 here.)