Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 Intel CPU Microcode update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by agamoros, Aug 19, 2012.

1. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    If you just delete a mcupdateintel file Windows will boot normally.

Updated BIOS and all is fine.

2. agamoros

agamoros MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2007
    I did a try on Intel Support chat and no way, their insistence about they will only give updated microcodes only to system builders is really insane. It's a shame, Intel this week re-released microcodes version 20120606-v2 but again they don't give to the enthusiast and open source community the same microcodes they gave to Microsoft, maybe they are in way to give better support only to Windows 8. :tongue2:

3. ashp

ashp MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2008
    #23 ashp, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    I think it's really bad when huge companies do this kind of thing and thats why I am not a fan of closed source, I do understand when your dealing with software only that is proprietory fair enough but c'mon Intel microcode is only useful for intel cpu's If an end user brick's his PC/BIOS it's their fault not intels'

I'm looking to mod my MSI BIOS.

Does anybody have experience with EFI. I have two machines a desktop and a laptop the desktop is built by me and the mainboard is a MSI P67A-GD55 B3 with v1.1J BIOS based on EFI v2.0.0 MSI have released news BIOS updated with the latest one being ver 4.2.0 this BIOS uses Intel Management Engine ver8 and the new Microcode will NOT work on my i5-2300.
    Is it possible to mod the microcode so it works on my older 32nm CPU? also can somebody confirm whether the new BIOS is based on EFI v2.3.1?

Also my laptop is a Packard Bell (acer) EasyNote TS11HR-034 and uses Insyde H2O EFI. This EFI is flakey and buggy however CSM works great but EFI is not properly implemented. I would like to update the microcode module in this modded BIOS which has UEFI enabled.
    Does anybody know if you can replace PEI and DXE modules in order to upgrade the EFI version?

Regards,
    Ash

4. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    #24 James D, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Hey everybody! I bump this thread because found that Intel released newer microcodes for 1-st gen I-Core CPU! in 2 years after the previous one!

I noticed that their size increased on 1 KB. Curious what did they put there? Anyone wants to try? I don't have that laptop anymore which uses old 740-840 quads or dual cores.
    There is CPUMicro.exe program which put microcode into kernel so you can test and do benchmarks with newer one and older one.
    2013 cpu microcodes.png

Als can anyone check that microsoft's file on Windows 7 or 8 whether they already put this newer microcode or not?

And yeah, speaking about that 20120606-v2... they did that because 1 or couple microcodes were bugged. They had the last raw in HEX written twice.