Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Which do you prefer?

1. Windows 7

37.5%
  2. Windows 8

62.5%
  1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Which do you prefer and why?

For meh, I am always torn between the two as I prefer Windows 7 more overall, but I love how fast Windows 8 boots and I feel that it is a bit snappier when I am running EXE Setup files

Examples, if I try to install ASUS Virtual Camera Utility, in Windows 8 it installs faster than you can blink your eyes, in Windows 7, it hangs a sec before starting to install. Using the same IRST Drivers I don't know what that brief lag and it's not just that example

Otherwise Windows 7 beats Windows 8 by 10 to 15% in the benchmarks I have run

Interface wise I dont mind both because I use StartIsBack for Windows 8 so I'm all good

I keep formatting my laptop every week and installing Windows 7 then next week format and install Windows 8, I am so confused

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    On my machine, installing Windows 8 is a snap. I can start it, go make a sandwich and when I return it is asking for the computer name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Windows 8

As I prefer to use the latest OS possible.
    It always take some adaption, but when you are adapted you find out the security and stability improvements.
    I know, I know, 90% of my posts where against Windows 8 and 8.1
    Consider me adapted!

4. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    When some goes to get a new smart phone, do they not b***h about how they knew how to use the last one better, how much better it was. When you move to a new house, is the layout not different, do you mistakenly walk into walls when getting up in the middle of the night to tinkle. Change happens everywhere, adaption is key.

5. eydee

eydee Guest

#5 eydee, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
    Windows 7

1. Looks better (aero, login screen, window controls etc.)
    2. No online account integration, no windows store, no Skydrive
    3. No metro ui
    4. Start menu doesn't take up the whole screen
    5. Start menu has shortcuts for personal folders, my computer, control panel, network etc.
    6. Task manager doesn't open in stupid view by default
    7. UAC can be completely turned off without losing functionality
    8. Doesn't call home as often, no phising filter or whatever it's called in windows explorer.
    9. Can be activated by both KMS and loader
    10. Widely supported, better compatibility
    11. Has windows update notifications on the system tray
    12. Boots faster for me, overall performance is the same
    13. Programs that have both a desktop and metro component don't want to default to crapware (like Skype)
    14. Has media center without paying extra or the need to mess around
    15. Programs can change file associations
    16. MSE has a tray icon and can update its database without windows update, its notifications don't disappear after a few seconds - Defender can do neither
    17. Windows gadgets exist without the need to hack them into the OS
    18. Can pin windows installer based so-called advertised shortcuts to start menu (startisback can't do that)
    19. Runs my VPN client fine, W8 requires some registry modifications (inconvenience)
    20. Programs are not called "apps"
    21. I don't see the word "swipe" on the screen ever (except here)
    22. No annoying charms (disabling loses functionality)
    23. Less integrated spyware (Bing etc.)
    24. Systray is not buggy, input icon doesn't turn itself on after disabled
    25. No lock screen (turning off is an inconvenience)
    26. System restore doesn't need system policy settings to be turned off
    27. No font issues in Firefox, HW acceleration works fine
    28. MSE doesn't freeze context menus for seconds, Defender does
    29. No need for SSE2 and NX, I can install it on any computer I want
    30. Snipping Tool doesn't require an extra click
    31. Start menu search box can be used like "Run..."
    32. I can turn off the search indexer service without breaking half the OS functionality
    33. Start menu has MRU list, start screen doesn't (it can't even sort by name, LOL)
    34. Chess Titans, Minesweeper. (Metro versions are full screen and redesigned for 3-year-olds...)
    35. Game explorer hidden (inconvenience)
    36. Very informative blue screens made for the lesser minded...
    37. .NET framework no longer installed by default
    38. etc. I could probably think of more if I really had to

EDIT: Forgot ads...

and:

Have you ever bought a house you hated just because change happens everywhere?

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007