Windows 7 - Which cleaner do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carlos Octavio, May 22, 2019.

1. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
  2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Use the browser "Save as..." dialog to save the file to your CCleaner directory. Or use CCEnhancer.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you... installed enhancer and it works as it should.

4. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    1 - Could someone / anyone please explain to me why anyone should use / 'need ' a ' cleaner ' ?

2 - How can it possibly know what registry entrys and files are needed or not needed ?

3 - I've tryed everyone i can find and all of them eventualy messed my systems up . For example ...... They often delete registry entrys that have not been claimed by a program but are needed by a program .

4 - Why not just stop wasting time and takeing risks ........ and instead ...... every time one gets the feeling that something is wrong / needs repairing / needs cleaning ....... just put a clean backup in again ?

5 - Stupid example but :) ---- > ' It makes my computer faster ' !!! ...... How much faster ? ...... Can you see the difference between the speed of light and 1 /100 th of the speed of light ? ......

5. Romydig

Romydig MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2018
    Glary Utilities.

6. Romydig

Romydig MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2018

We need disk cleaners, but not registry cleaners. A good cleaner does away with logs, temp files, invalid shortcuts, old prefetch data and other system junk. When I was using CCleaner, I never used the registry cleaner feature, and I don't use it in Glary either..

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Crap-Cleaning from the HD, yes. But, never touch the Registry if you're not into masochism.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #30 rayleigh_otter, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    If you clean out the part of an ssd regularly then that part will wear out sooner. Im moving all my deletes to a custom rubbish bin. Once my 500gb ssd is near to full then i will clean it out. Using tweaks that stop windows writing excessive data and logging may help prolong drive life and keep the wear even.

I read somewhere it may be better just to format rather than delete, bit difficult on a single partition and not practical i would have thought.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #31 Joe C, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Will soldier on my way, time will tell.

12. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Thanks . So we agree that registry cleaners are not a good idea ....... even though many programs like adobe and O&O Defrag leave thousands of orphaned registry entrys in the registry after they are ' uninstalled ' ....... wich means that it can be massively clutered and bloated .

Next question ...... The crap files and the ' speed of light ' one again ---- > If my C partition has 20 gigs of files on it and i then add another 20 gigs to it ...... whats the difference in the speed the computer works at / the time it takes to do the same job ? What are the disadvantages ? ...... and how ' big ' are they ?

Instead of taking risks with dumb ideas like cleaners and system restore why not just put the system in without the internet . Make a back up copy and then every time you update do it with the fresh unused copy ,,,,,, and then make a new copy .

That means that about once a month the registy is back to virgin state ...... the hard disk isnt full with crap files ...... and any problems / malware / bloat are gone :)

Before anyone says ...... ' What about my personal files on C ? ' ...... are you serious ? ...... You keep valuable info on C !?! ...... with no backup copyS ? ...... from all the times i've seen malware it was mostly on / efected C ...... I've only seen two attacks that targeted other partitions / hard disks .

Same same with defragmentation . Why ? ...... when we put our back up in again regularly the operating system is back to virgin state ?

13. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    either BleachBit or Wise Disk Cleaner will do nicely
    I actually have both of these installed though I have the portable version of Bleachbit