Windows 7 , Windows 8 or windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by donsr, Sep 3, 2013.

1. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    eydee - the issue (in your case) is not the GPU (which is fine), but the Phenom CPU - which is not. For some rather odd reason, older AMD x64 CPUs are not showing the same performance gains when upgrading that Intel Core 2 and later CPUs are. For all I know, there could well be some Intel-isms (or at least quirks which benefit older Intel x64 CPUs) as opposed to same-age AMD64 CPUs. It's not unique to 8, either - look at the performance gains going from Vista to 7 (again, Phenom vs. Q6xxx). The reality that Linux distributions are mostly faster is entirely due to AMD-specific optimizing going on - said optimization was aimed primarily at Opteron; Phenom can leverage that. AMD64 and Core2 are not identical - therefore, they won't act the same way even when fed identical code. Core i-series (any of them) benefits more than Core 2 (more optimization for later Intel CPUs); however, AMD APUs benefit more than Athlon II and Phenom (same reason). I'm no implying that there is no benefit - just not as big a benefit.

2. eydee

eydee Guest

Well, if this is true, I'm amazed. MS did so many stupid things in the last few years. Not optimizing the OS for AMD is one more nail in their coffin. So many people use AMD CPUs, even if AMD has a smaller market share than Intel. It's a bit too large to be ignored. Fortunately I can live without W8 or 8.1 easily. By the time W7 support comes to an end, we'll have a more robust linux platform and what won't work natively, probably will in wine. I'm optimistic.

3. SciFighter

SciFighter MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    eydee it's true to a degree.

When it comes to the older processors either they be Intel or AMD and running the newer os's the performance is the same based on the processor of course, you use the newer the processor with either company will show marginal advances because of the newer tech that was used to create them. When it comes to Win 8 and 8.1 it's Intels newest chips Haswell that do have some advantage as MS has been working with them when it came to Win 8 and above and the haswell chips made by intel have been optimized for windows 8.

I can tell you though the performance increase is very marginal still even on the Haswell chips that may change when they release the new ones in 2014 but no one knows yet of course till they are out if there will be a big performance gain though this of course is just on the newest of the new processors from Intel. As of now the only real benefit of them is on mobile devices not desktops when it comes to battery life. This might also change again in the future as both Playstation and Xbox are using AMD chipsets now in the new Xbox one and Playstation 4 which will probably pave some roads to do the same kinds of optimization for future AMD CPU's.

I am and always have been much more of an AMD fan I run both systems AMD and Intel, more for the purpose to get quality benchmarking for both systems but the machine I do most of my real life business work on or what I would call still my main machine even though I have newer intel and AMD systems my favorite is close to the type of processor you use which is the Phenom II x4 965 BE. No matter what newer systems I get I still always find myself drawn back to that computer for my work related needs :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    It's actually not as simple as that. The new default "shutdown" is not hibernation, it's more like a mixture of both. Plain hibernation wouldn't make much sense on an SSD, anyways.

I think you mean GPU. Well, the solid color squares won't necessariliy make it faster, but improve your battery life a little.

That's simply because 1) ClearType doesn't work in portrait mode and 2) ClearType will be obsolete at some point in the future where we all have Retina-like displays. I know, it doesn't make much sense on the desktop today where you hardly go and rotate your display, but with Windows 8/8.1 is all about the mobile aspect now.

Isn't Windows 7 doing sort of the same kind of things already? Delayed-start services, for example?

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You gotta pick your battles Tel-a-Visor. You seem to have a problem with EVERYTHING in Win8.x
    If you dislike it that much, why spend all your time and effort seeking out a forum section ABOUT Windows 8.x and going into some diatribe?

I knew Win7 was good the moment I first installed it. I knew Vista was garbage the first moment I tried it.
    I can tell you that my win8.0 feelings were very mediocre.
    I can also tell you that Win8.1 feels a lot like Win7 did when I first tried it. The file system caching is FANTASTIC compared to vista or win8.0
    It reminds me so much of win7's file system speed. That's why I feel like it's a good OS.

Yes, it's not perfect. I could do without the metro stuff. What do you expect them to do though, just ignore the entire PC market? If they did that, Apple would get all the customers by default,
    and that's a shame because Apple is an overpriced, over-rated, over-appreciated company. I don't know much about Linux, but then I don't really have a reason to since I like the way Windows is going.

6. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    so many bulls**ts .. i installed directx nvidia graphics everything works fine..now 8.1 faster and faster.. i think win8.1 going to hit ....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Well, a technical detail maybe, but nonetheless it renders your original statement false. Over-simplification never helps, only if you want to pound on something. See politics.

Thinking of energy-saving shouldn't stop when a power plug comes into play. Reduing the amount of watts consumed by any kind of PC is a good thing.

Maybe not Windows 8, but I don't need to be psychic to claim we'll see a lot more hi-res displays in the coming years and that future Windows versions will catch up. The grayscale antialiasing might be a compromise for now, nonetheless it's going to be obsolete in the medium-term.

About how many seconds are we talking about here? I just don't think the impact is big enough that I'd care about, but that's just my point of view.

OK, to give my two cents to the thread...

I think Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 are all good operating systems. Windows 7 might be more stable, but you have to take into consideration that it's out for about four years now. Windows 8.1 is not even out legally. I can't share the opinion that 8/8.1 (RTM) are more buggy than 7, I haven't had a single blue screen for a long, long time in either of them, and if I did it was always related to a driver issue. I'm using 8.1 RTM since a few days and it's running smoothly on my machine, much better than the preview build. There are a few things in 8/8.1 that let me prefer it over Windows 7, client Hyper-V, and the cleaned up Aero theme, for example, which makes the Windows 7 version look heavy and dated. I didn't care much about the removing of the Start button/menu in 8, all my frequently used apps were long since pinned to the Superbar, the rest done with Start search. Most of the time I spend in the desktop, I use the Windows Store/Apps only occasionally, never bought an app so far, I just go for the free stuff. I think the platform has potential for both mobile and desktop use, but it needs work, work, work until we get there.

8. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    a little Windows history
    I have known many people which stuck with Win98 when WindowsXP came out. To be honest I had to install Win98 every two to three weeks on my usage of it.

XP was till the SP1 a garbage and unsecure mess in my opinion. Barely usable till SP2 but still more useable than the whole 9x series.

Vista was a failure on the second attempt and 3 years late hence the very long usage of xp. MS fixed it on the third attempt and called it Windows 7! In my opinion Windows 7 is "only" a bigger SP and bugfixrelease of Vista and everybody who uses Vista in a proffessional environment has to be fired! The only thing Windows 7 IS so popular because Vista was SO bad. Vista was very slugish in every environment.

With Windows 8 they made a VERY bold move forward and wanted to make the same OS-experience for Tablets, Desktop and Phone. The main problem of Windows 8 is that it's so different in one area of the UI. People don't like changes! I personly don't miss the startmenu because the start-screen has more functions than the startmenu. The same argument erupted at the introduceing of the mouse as a inputdevice. "The mouse is a nice toy but can't be used for productive work" was the argument of nearly all "proffessional" Computer Magazines. With Windows 8 the same happened and time will tell if MS was realy that foolish to enforce the MetroUI in that way in Windows 8. All the ohter features like Hyper-V and StroageSpaces (both in a corporate quality level) which Windows 8 brings are realy forgotten. And now don't compare Hyper-V with the silly WinXP-mode in Vista or VirtualPC in 7. None of theme are even close to what Hyper-V brings to Windows 8. These two features don't even let me consider to go back to Windows 7 so dependent I'm now on those features.

Windows 8.1 has merly one focus and this is to calm down customers which got bad mouthed by peoples which are afraid of changes!

Apple (or iThingies) for dummies
    MacOs wasn't realy changed in corethings the last 15 odd years. Under the hood IS a from Apple licenced Unix. Nope the core-os isn't a work of Apple. Only the UI Apple spapped on and MacOS 10 was born. Put a high price-tag on a medioca but flashy hardware and marketing the hell out of it with Steve Jobs. Thats the Apple way of doing it. Steven Jobs perfected this Apple-way with all iThingies later on. Let me all remember you of the first iPhone which hadn't a camera nor couldn't send a MMS but was sold like it was the best thing on earth. Then the iPad which never functioned out of the box. To even switch it on the first time you need a USB-Connection to an Itunes installed on a Mac or PC! Even Flash (which many websites rely on heabyly) isn't working on iOS because Apple couldn't controll the Flash-Api! The next thing of iOS is that if you want to devolp for iOS you need to buy Apple-Hardware and there is also a hefty price-tag on the SDK. Legaly you are not able to run a MacOs in and Virtual-environment. I only kno of some higly iligal ways to make a higly hacked MacOS in Vmware.

Linux isn't for not in informatic emerged people
    To properly install and configure a Linux to be somewhat save to work needs a high level of knowlage to begin with if you are not even knowing what compiling sourcecode realy means you are very wrong to thing you can use Linux in a save and productive way. In my mind is the way of forcefully not complying in doing some important things in Linux the same way, is the main fault of Linux and in my mind a fault by design. There are so many ways to configure Linux and make things differently that there is no way of beeing able to resolve dependencies of compilling source-code which is obscurly nearly the only way of installing programms. Even a tiny minute change in a libary which by the way another function needs to run properly can be the downfall of not beeing able to use another programm. Even there is forcefully no way of finding the right configuration of one programm in every flavor of Linux. Everybody can put the configuration of a programm where he/she likes it. This higly fragmented ecosystem is for the normal User (90% or more of PC-Owners) overpowering and makes Linux for them nearly worthles.

Now let me reminde you all that Android IS A SPECIAL FLAVOIR OF LINUX. Also in Android there is a by Google forced fragmentation of the ecosystem. This foreced fragmentation is felt by every developer who needs to develop for Android. Because Android is a Linux-Flavoir it deeply flawed in my minde to let it loose on the general population. All the latest security-threads for Android are the proof of my opinion. First of all from a normal user you cant expect that he/she has slightest grasp of what is a bad app and then is the thing with Google which apperently let every app in there App-Store unscreened to there users. The argument about the massive userbase I can't accept. The news that you can code an App which can send silently send SMS to paid-services with out even aksing for any permissions shocked me realy deeply. The refusal of thinking of such a scenario is in my opinion deeply flawed by design and in the very core fabric of a Linux.Unthinkable in a Windows Phone environment!

"You know what you are doing so do anything you wish with your system!" is the core Linux mantra and Android behaves exactly like that.

9. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    is didnt fully shut down win8.1?

10. SciFighter

SciFighter MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Change is fine for almost everyone when its done for the better, when change is made to IMPROVE on what existed before hand to make it a better product.

Change is not something for the better when you force something on devices that are not designed to be used it the way changes were made. Changing something to improve the overall experience for the better is one thing forcing change to implement a touch based interface on non touch designed devices is not an improvement any way you look at it.

11. user421

user421 MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    win 8.1 love it

12. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    am going back to windows 7 ultimate

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I believe you are referring to Metro.
    Think about it this way. They had a big ugly start menu.
    They felt like they had to add app support for all the new graphical app stuff.
    So they combined them and got rid of the ugly start menu.

What's the big deal, anyway? Do you not use keyboard shortcuts for everything anyway?
    You can make desktop shortcuts to program files folders if you want.
    Is there something you cannot do now that you could before? I guess I don't see it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Metro fan, but I wasn't a fan of the start menu either.

14. SciFighter

SciFighter MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Hey Murphy

Oh ya I don't wanna be taken the wrong way here either I am not trying to say that the start menu has to be there win 8 could have been made very well without a start menu. But taking it away and replacing it with a second interface that you have to switch to get to things and having it take up the whole screen at the same time compared to a smaller menu where everything is compact and tucked away very nice that takes up like 1/10th of your screen is well I can't even honestly think of the right word for it besides silly lol

I am or never have been saying windows 8 is a bad os just almost seems with a lot of it came as knee jerk reactions from ms without thinking it through. Take the Windows Live Messenger and Skype thing Ms decides to kill off WLM in a knee jerk quickly yet included it in windows 8. When trying to cross platform an os your doing so on different devices of course I would have just liked to see a few more options that in all honesty were not hard to do for them since they basically left all the code in the os anyways for most of this stuff just having it completly disabled. If you are not going to have it there then just remove it or give an option to use it since it's there already.

I was one that was looking forward to windows 8 cause they were even supposed to do away with x86 and start trying for a 128 bit os considering I have been on x64 for something like 10 years now since xp introduced it and was so looking forward to a 128 bit. Instead it seems like it was a bit thrown together and quick decisions made without a lot of thought process. Don't get me wrong I understand what the point of the os is to have you going easily from one device to another, they just need to remember that all devices are not the same so take a bit to think about the few options that u could add in to benefit the other devices. It's what scares me with them going to this yearly release schedule to keep on pace will they have to keep rushing out unfinished products.