Windows 7 won't install to my HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by noblessus, Jan 17, 2011.

1. noblessus

noblessus MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2009
    Hello people,

My system specs can be found at the end of this post. I'm trying to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. So while I'm in Vista I run the Windows 7 Setup but at the moment I'm asked to select to what drive I want to install Win7, no drives at all appear in the list, not even my Vista drive on which I'm logged in and which is the only HDD in my computer. I've done some research and apparently I need to point setup to some RAID drivers for my motherboard. I've tried giving it some RAID drivers which I got from my motherboard's manufacturer's website, but Win7 Setup still cannot see my HDD. So the next thing I'm assuming I should try is to try to enable RAID from the BIOS and then setup an array from there. The problem is, of course, that I only have one HDD so how would I setup a RAID Array? What RAID mode should I use? And please keep in mind that I have important data on my single HDD which I do not wish to lose (and I'm a RAID noob too :eek:). I know a single disk RAID Array sounds dumb but apparently thats what I need to do according to my Hard Drive's manufacturer: ht+p://www[dot]wdc[dot]com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705044.pdf. Page 3 under "Alternate Instructions for Installing a Drive" it says:
    By setting up my current drive in a RAID array I wouldn't be erasing the data on my HDD right? I have important data on that disk, thats why I'm trying to install Win7 from Vista and not doing a clean install.

It would be a lot better if I could just load some SATA drivers for my HDD to be recognized rather than loading some RAID drivers which require me to go through the whole RAID setup process. So, in order to install win7 I am forced to use RAID even if I don't want it or "need it"?

Thanks a lot for reading this.

My system specs:
    Current Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate SP2 64-bit
    Motherboard: MSI P7N Diamond (NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI)
    HDD: Western Digital Velociraptor 300 GB HLFS (interface: SATA 3 Gb/s) (Free Space: 151.2 GB)

2. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Here's a nice article and probably a solution for your problem: tomshardware.com/forum/132-63-windows-raid
    Check post nr.9 (tongpoe) for a solution.

Hope it works.

Cheers

3. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Try to avoid an upgrade dude, more prone to being messy on down the line with old registry settings and drivers

Best with clean install.

4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I agree. Fresh install. Especially when its not just an Edition upgrade, but a full OS upgrade.

As you can see for yourself, the problems are already starting, and that before the actual upgrade process has even begun...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. noblessus

noblessus MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2009
    Hi ibeqa, I tried the WinXP x64 drivers but unfortunately my HDD could not be detected neither with these.

And regarding performing a clean install; normally I would myself advise against doing an upgrade install of a Windows OS, but in the circumstances I'm in right now I have not many choices, I have about 100 GB's of data on the HDD which I have nowhere else to back them up. And I also have a ton of programs installed which have been customized, and if I were to do a clean install it would take me about a week to reinstall them all, update them and re customize them.