Windows 7 x64 Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carel, Nov 24, 2009.

1. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    The problem is never said why craches. I look long time ago. Sorry I think I do all I can do, even look at google, change the drivers, nothing works, that is why ask.

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    U have NO errorcodes given in events log ? That's quite impossible. Anything with a red X in application or system log...

It may not be directly related (or so it would seem when looking at the logs), but may well lead us to the cause.

So if you see any red X, pls post the event id and error code that goes with it.

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude if your pc freezes entirely(In my case) most likely there will not be any errors in the logs because it cannot write to the logs when it freezes up. The best thing to do is to test the hardware and cables one at a time until you find the problem. In my case it was a combination of bad hdd, bad cd/dvd ribbon cable, bad bios, and dvd drive's not being pinned properly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #24 genuine555, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Dude, when a pc freezes in win7, it is caused by issues in hardware or software. I have seen enough to say that in this case it is allmost certainly software based. That means the crash is a result of some service crashing, or some system or driver file malfunctioning, which will definitely show up in events log. Like I say, it may well be an error for some service not starting or being hogged by some driver or system resource.
    But that event id WILL lead us to the actual cause of the crashes.

NOTE : read my post above, bro. I had crashes. PC freezed up completely. Went in events log, saw errors for Service control manager, mentioning a specific file that could not be started by the service. . It lead me to my printerdriver, which was causing the crashes. Uninstalled the driver, and the crashes were history.

EDIT : sounds like the whole pc was bad :D. No seriously, bro, the crashes will be preceded by errors in certain system or application procedures. And they show in events log, and will lead u to the cullprit. And the bloke above having NO errors in events log, seems very unlikely. But nevermind, keep looking at the hardware. Keep guessing.

5. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Sorry nothing, you have to reset the pc. I check all the hardware and I know that other people are having the same problem with the wireless card of different manufacturers, I am thinkink next week to buy a HP pci-e card and see what happens.

6. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I forget with 64 bit OS only.

7. supdrmann

supdrmann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Remembered what was exactly when had last freeze...
    Not only Windows and Browser freezed, ... it was the whole PC!
    No mousemoving possible, no ctrl-alt-del, no sound, nothin'...
    And that all because a 'lil wlan-stick :eek:

Vista worked fine on same machine with same wlan!

8. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Vista 64 bit OS?

9. supdrmann

supdrmann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    No, it was 32!

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It was actually a little peace of software that got installed when u plugged it, that caused the crashes. Event logs would have been made by that faulty driver. But never mind.

11. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I think this happens with 64 bit OS. Before I use Vista 32 bit OS and works fine. probably the drivers or the amount of memory?

12. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Ok, I tried to repair the windows installation, but it resulted in a "This windows is not Genuine"... Well, it is genuine, not piratted, but I modified the installation disc a bit. I used the x86 install engine & made an AIO DVD, which contains both x86 & x64 versions of Windows 7. I had to format, because the PC was useless. I changed a few things, I set the RAID mode to AHCI in the BIOS, aparently this will increase performance. And, when I re-installed, I used the Original disc, not the modded one. So, currently I do see one heck of a performance increasement {must be the new RAID mode}. At the moment, I'm only waiting for the problem to occur again. I really, really doubt that it's the CPU. I've had Windows XP x86, Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows Vista x86, Windows 7 x86 & x64. I've ran an x64 version before, without any problems. Out of the 5x operating systems I've used (excluding Linux), Windows 7 x64 are the only one that does this. I wouldn't associate the CPU with a clearly software problem, beacause there are 1000s of applications on my PC that really uses the CPU intensive & it's as Rock Solid & stable as any Intel system i've ever used before. If an application that uses the CPU @ 100% utilization doesn't hang, then why would an application {Internet Explorer, FireFox & Opera} that uses about 0.1% CPU utilization cause the PC to hang? It clearly isn't the CPU. If it was, then it would've hanged when I use CPU intensive programs also. Understand what I'm saying?;) Opera, Firefox & Internet Explorer do have 1 thing in common: They all use the Internet, the hardware & the Protocols & the engine within Windows 7 x64 to access the internet. I think it's more software related {it could be a driver}... If this doesn't get solved for me, then I should probably go back to using only Windows 7 x86. Or I should get Windows Vista x64. On my PC I don't really see such a big performance increase between Vista & 7, except quality in the sound, it's always crap fast & damn very much stable.:D

13. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #33 Carel, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    (OP)
    Problem Solved

Yes, whooooooo-----.... Ok, wel, it wansn't a driver issue at all {it never made sense to me, because other applications requesting driver access would've freezed also, such as utorrent, but utorrent never froze & Windows Mail also never froze}. Yes - It would be in the event viewer, because as I said, the PC doesn't freeze completely... Not my CPU, not my RAM, not the motherboard, not my wicked Overclocks, not a driver issue, BUT it was Internet Download Manager. Thanks "crzzui", it was IDM after all. Yes, now I can just tick a little checkbox & my problem is gone. But now I can't use the integration feature anymore. Thanks crzzui, it solved my problem & would most probably solve others's problem too (they might not know it yet).:)

14. supdrmann

supdrmann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #34 supdrmann, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    I skipped driver-installation and used the x64 from the manufactor...
    ... the driver was win7 certified, too!
    Don't freezed at the plugin of the wlan-stick, this worked fine, it freezed at surfin'!
    Don't using any IDMs, only the one that's firefox included!

15. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Well excuse me were I found the Internet Download Manager, I don't use this software and my pc freez.

16. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm using P35 chipset, from Intel. Don't know what others are using, but I do know that others who don't use Internet Download Manager, that also experience a freeze in Windows 7 x64, are most probably not experiencing the exact problem as I did. I think that some of the users who replied here misunderstood me... The thing is, it's not the whole PC that froze {in my case}. If media player was running & I open IE, the rest of the PC would not respond to any clicks, but, media player still plays the audio, although I cannot access it. Immediately when I close Internet Explorer, the PC comes to life again in a wink. Luckily I found the solution. Now, I just have to find another, better download manager...