Windows 8.1.1 to WMC > TV Tuner

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bchat, Oct 9, 2014.

1. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    This is my 1st attempt at the TV Tuner thing, so I am not sure exactly what to ask and where to ask it.

I have Windows 8.1.1. Prox64 that I can upgrade to 8.1 Pro WMC
    I have a Sony 46 " HDTV I'd like to use as a monitor/TV
    Computer specs:

Antec GX500 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B
    EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
    EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 750W Active PFC ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready - Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready
    Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623i72700K
    Linksys AE3000-NP High Performance Dual-Band Wireless-N Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 450Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA2
    Logitech K750 Black USB RF Wireless Slim solar-powered Keyboard
    Logitech M310 Flame Red 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Mouse
    OCZ Vector 150 Series VTR150-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
    StarTech SATSASBAY425 Aluminum 2.5" Black 4 x 22 pin SATA DATA and Power Combo Female 4 Drive 2.5in Removable SAS SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
    ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

1. is what I want possible - to watch TV thru the computer on the TV?
    2. what TV Tuner device/s should I be looking at?
    3. should I ask the nurse to adjust my meds and go back to sleep?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    First i should commit that point 3 made my day :good3:.

Depends on what's available in your region :g:.

Using Hauppauge WinTV-Duet DVBT usb pen here with WMC. Nice dual-tuner solution in case of bad reception.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have cable TV coming into the house, I can put a splitter in the line and run to both cable box and computer - if this is the way to go...:eek:

As mentioned in OP, I am a virgin in this area.

ETA - is this a wireless thing rather than a cable thing?

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Wouldn't make much sense as it would need a cable card or usb-device to handle the signal for the WMC, guess it's easier to use the box you already have together with the TV.

That DVBT is terrestrial digital TV via antenna in some parts of Europe which i use via an usb-device.

5. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    The cable box is hooked up to another TV. I am trying to figure out a way to use the computer with the 2nd TV. Hooking up a second TV to the cable deal is a royal expensive PITA.
    I thought there might be some PCI card, wireless adapter, or a ?????? to do it.

I am in the USA where communications companies specialize in screwing with customers to the max - IMO.

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Would guess there are cards, but i have no clue regarding cable or satelite tv as i never used it :eek:.

Hope others can give some tips ;).

7. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #7 bchat, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks, I found some PCI cards on NEWEGG, will continue the quest for knowledge and a pair of identical twin 25 year old blondes with green eyes.

8. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
  9. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks -Brainsuck.

10. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    #10 JakeStockton, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    I am using a Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center setup with 18 tuners.

I have two Ceton InfiniTV6 PCIe cards and one Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH networked device to handle recording onto multiple computers as well as playback live HD cable TV to my Windows 8 tablet.

A great forum for users of Windows Media Center is The Green Button www thegreenbutton.tv/forums (remove space, add .)

Ceton Corp doesn't support more than 12 tuners per Media Center PC, but it seems to be working well for me without any real hiccups -- well, except if I actually am recording more 12 or more HD streams at once, it makes it very difficult to "skip" past commercials when I'm viewing programming on my Xbox 360 Media Center Extender! ;)

Ceton also doesn't support the use of Media Center on tablets, but with some "reworking" of their Windows 7 driver it installs AOK and plays back HDTV pretty well, but not perfectly.

Other people swear by the Homerun tuner products, but I have always used Ceton's products and have installed them in over a dozen households and small businesses over the past 3 or so years (totaling over 20 Ceton InfiniTV devices)

Before Ceton and "network cable tuners" Media Center was only for "techies" but now that there is full CableCard support there is no better home solution for recording, distributing, archiving and playing back television -- even my 83 year old mother uses and loves her Windows Media Center with Ceton InfiniTV tuners (8 tuners) and plays back television throughout her home using Xbox 360's as Media Center Extenders.

Welcome to the elite group of Media Center enthusiasts!!!

Here are three other programs you should look into once you are set up.

MyMovies .dk which is part SQL database for all your movies and archived television shows, and part Media Center (Extender) Interface for organizing and playing back all you rich content.
    MCE Buddy at CodePlex which will take your non-encrypted Media Center Recorded television and convert them and rename them into formats suitable for archiving and playing back on all your devices - iPhone, Pad, Android, etc.
    Ceton My Media Center service for Windows 8.1 and their My Media Center apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Windows 8 - sweet! Once installed you can set, change recordings from your phone, check the TV Guide, look for shows flagged as "premiers" etc. Totally a must have for anyone using Media Center.

11. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks JS, I think I'll check out the forum you suggested. Your set up sounds way to complicated for me.

I hate it when I don't even know enough to ask the proper questions...:mad:

12. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Here is a webpage on the Ceton site which will help you make sure that you have the basics covered. www cetoncorp.com/2013/06/17/q-what-are-the-minimum-system-requirements-for-using-more-than-1-infinitv-device-andor-more-than-1-extender/

Looking over your system specs, the only thing I see that might be lacking is that you appear to have only SSD drives. While they are fast, they aren't the best for storing recorded television on since they don't contain a lot of space. If you are only planning on recording 4-6 shows simultaneously, you can get a WD 3TB Green drive or for better performance when recording and playing back multiple HD shows you should get the faster 7200rpm Black or Blue WD drives.

If you pick up some 2nd hand Xbox 360 S or E models, you can keep using your Media Center PC as your primary PC, get rid of the Cable Company DVR/STB rental and just use Media Center around the house. 2nd hand Xbox 360S or the 360E can be purchased for around $110.

13. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks again, I will not be doing any recording with this set up, just want to get it so I can watch a show or two on the set up.