Windows 8.1 (9600) bug list

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Smorgan, Aug 30, 2013.

1. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Keybioard Issues

Is the keyboard wired or wireless? USB or PS/2?

There ARE buffering-related issues with USB and wireless keyboards that are exacerbated when the keyboard is both (my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 6000 v3 is affected in all versions of Windows, regardless of driver used) - however, the issue is worse with the default USB drivers. Updating to the latest Intel USB INFs does reduce the woes (as does updating drivers for USB devices). The same issues apply to other USB hardware (mice, printers, etc.).

2. yahyoh

yahyoh MDL Member

Dec 6, 2012
    i think non of them gonna fix it since AMD broke the brightness control since 13.2 beta i think -.-
    even the latest beta (13.8 b2 ) still broken :(

so stock M$ driver broken
    Preview driver broken
    13.8 beta broken on W8 too

i will try the leaked one tomorrow cuz i went back to W8 cuz i had the issue with Net framework 3.0 ( i found the solution in 1st page :D ) + the brightness issue :p

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
  4. fardeen

fardeen MDL Member

May 11, 2010
    i found i could not activate telnet in windows features directly, i had to enable both telnet client and telnet server so that i could enable it

5. Amresh

Amresh MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    lol

so short list

6. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Not a bug in Windows 8.1 itself, but a driver issue I thought i'd share.

My laptop has a broadcom wireless chipset in it and it worked fine out of the box on Windows 8, however it doesn't on Windows 8.1.

It'll connect, it'll work at full speed, however every so often (very random) it'll drop internet and just sit at a Limited Access state, showing i'm still connected to wifi.

I wont be able to access my router so it's obvious it's not even properly connected to my wifi at that point.

Toggling airplane mode or reconnecting will always fix the issue, using the troubleshooter works too and it says the problem was "No default gateway" or something such as that.

I was able to eventually fix it by hunting down some proper OEM drivers for Windows 8 and installing those on Windows 8.1, which seems to have fixed my problem. Weird!

Windows 8.1 drivers are from May 2013 whereas my "fixed" drivers are from March 2012.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Nicos18

Nicos18 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    When is scheduled the first updates for windows 8.1 rtm?

8. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    AFAIK, you should get every second Tuesday of Month. So, you can expect it starting from 2nd Tuesday of Sep 2013.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    September 10th and then so on....

11. alexis23ange

alexis23ange MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    everything on my end gaming wise is 100% perfect and all apps work app programs i use also work and avast 9.0 is working as well.
    now as for speed all my hardware is 100% working i have full direct x 11.2 able drivers installed for my 7970 and getting much better fps in games then 7 or 8

12. sausuke

sausuke MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    Is anyone experiencing flicker issue on desktop? I've been experiencing this after I put my taskbar on left side then refresh the desktop? Is there a fix on this? It is very noticeable when the wallpaper is dark :(

btw the flicker goes away when I put the taskbar on bottom

13. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    #76 PGHammer, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Two words - What Bugs?

Not an issue I've had - in 8 or 8.1.

Running NVidia Forceware 326.80 (latest/current beta) on 8.1 Pro RTM (unregistered due to lack of retail Pro key).

Application peformance - better in every aspect than 8 (which was itself better than 7).

The only reason to use a browser other than IE now is site-specific issues (MEGA, for example, is purposely IE-hostile).

Sites on Facebook that had Flash-related issues with 8 don't with 8.1 - IE smacks Chrome around with a trout performance-wise in 8.1 as well (latest Chrome vs. IE).

14. sausuke

sausuke MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    #77 sausuke, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    I tested also on Windows 8 and 8.1. I have 2 SSD to switch and compare and they experiencing the same problem. I'm sure it's not the monitor 'cause I tested it on using on PS3 and those flicker don't exist.. I'm confused also 'cause the onboard gpu and discrete GPU 650ti have the same flicker. Even I changed the cable- vga cable they exist and the more confusing is I tried it on other monitor and it doesn't flicker... so the suspect is the monitor?

I dunno I don't experience it now when the taskbar is on the bottom :(

btw I'm using 326.80 too

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Where are these drivers from? Last I heard, AMD reported they were going to release drivers that offered 11.2 support, but haven't actually heard anything about the drivers releasing...

16. tdr2012

tdr2012 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Windows 8.1 RTM is nowhere near problem-free.

Just got halfway copying over a 110GB Norton Ghost image file of my Windows 7 build to my Western Digital Passport 2TB external hard drive...

During the middle of the transfer, the copy suddenly stopped. I looked into File Explorer, Windows could not recognize ANY of my attached and internal drives:

1) Seagate 1TB
    2) WD Elements
    3) Another Seagate 2TB with Windows 7 installed on it

I went to open all of them up, only to be faced with this error:

"The filesystem of this device is corrupted or unreadable"... not exact words, but similar in that nature.

I can't boot up my External hard drive that had WinPE and image files anymore...

I can't boot into my SSD without getting a blue screen error and Windows trying (more like failing) to do it's automatic repair.

My Windows 7 drive no longer boots or can be read anymore..

Omg Windows 8.1 did something to my drives and I'm mad as ever right now. I know nothing else could have possibly happened. I was just copying files over, on a fresh install, no apps installed, not even tweaked personal yet. Windows 8.1 just corrupted all my working drives, some with encryption and now I can't get anything off of them!!!

WINDOW 8.1 RTM CLEARLY NOT SAFE TO USE DAY TO DAY. Or maybe I encountered a rare bug with Windows 8.1.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else! I'm waiting for them to release the stable version in October..

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    That does sound like a rather nasty issue; could it be your USB port couldn't handle it? What USB port were you using to transfer (2.0 or 3.0)? What spec does the HDD support over USB (2.0 or 3.0)? Using the generic USB drivers that come with Windows 8.1, or OEM?

Was the WD drive the only external? Did you have 3 separate internal HDDs, or multiple partitions?

Just trying to gather up some information :)