Windows 8.1 (9600) bug list

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Smorgan, Aug 30, 2013.

1. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    USB Microphones (no driver) are still too quiet in Windows 8.1 as compared to Windows 7.
    This is an unresolved issue from Windows 8 and it hasn't been adressed yet.
    You have to switch to like 90-95% Volume to get the same results as in Windows 7. (50-55%)
    This is a fact and no issue which can be solved by "Mic-Boost" (which isn't even available and wasn't in W7 either)
    There are a few threads about that in technet, too, but they don't care.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2013
    The Surface Pro's constant "Limited Connectivity" issue is back for me. I think this was an issue in older 8.1 builds too, but I didn't use them full-time to know how bad it is.

Also, not quite a bug, but between 9471 and RTM, they blocked Miracast capability on the Pro. It worked perfectly before, now DXdiag shows "Miracast: Not Supported by Wifi Driver".

3. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    I am having a lot of issues with the Bluetooth driver. Most of the times it just hangs and the screen goes blank white. Tried installing/reinstalling/enabling/disabling/booting/restarting but nothing, still the problem remains. It is frustrating.

Also, I cannot find a method to bring back all the default lock screen preview pictures. I do not know how to do that. In windows 8 there was an option to restore to the default ones, but now I cannot find it or it is gone.

4. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    Also, Facebook video calling is not working at all with firefox and ie11.

5. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    That "Limited Connectivity" bug seems to be a pretty popular issue from my hour or so of googling around.

I ended up fixing the issue on my laptop by installing my OEM wifi driver instead of the stock RTM broadcom driver. Obviously this doesn't apply to you since your on a Surface Pro.

Another "fix" i've read is that you need to set a static ip because the core issue is that it randomly forgets your gateway IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. win812004

win812004 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    add favorite item for one directory, it does not show!!!!

7. prease

prease MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    Bug: Installing Steelseries Engine bricks the Windows install.

Solution: Went into Recovery > Command prompt and renamed C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\steelbus64.sys

8. tdr2012

tdr2012 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    1) I was using my Front panel USB 3.0 ports to transfer.
    2) Both External HDDs support USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed) connections. Both connected to two of four USB 3.0 ports.
    3) I was using the generic USB drivers that come with Windows 8.1, I didn't try installing my OEM drivers for my Biostar motherboard for the USB 3.0 ports.
    4) The WD Elements and the WD Passport drives were the only external. The other 3 drives are internal:
    • Samsung 830 SSD 64GB
    • Seagate 1TB
    • Seagate 2TB

5) Only the WD Elements drive had multiple partitions. Both Data, non-bootable partitions.

9. Krkan

Krkan MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Anyone had their PC shut down when the blue logo appeared on boot? Happened to me twice. (Never in 7 or 8)

10. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thats not true...i installed it from the ISO itself...Here's the screenshot...
    3.5.PNG

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #92 Smorgan, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    (OP)
    Sorry for the rather late reply haha. Apparently there were some rather critical bugs that were missed by the development team seems we have a few metro bugs and one access violation that rebooted the OS. Also on the list is a critical licensing bug that completely disables the licensing and makes slmgr.vbs come up with a non-core edition error (no you still cannot do personalizing cause its not activated). This RTM feels like a beta as I could probably get away with some funny stuff in this.

12. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    #93 apoklyps3, Sep 1, 2013
    anyone else having problems with facebook calling on win8.1 RTM?
    sometimes i get " The software that powers video calling is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."
    other times i get " It looks like a program on your computer may have blocked your video calling software"

13. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    doesn't work on chrome eighter...

14. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    there must be a bug. Some serious bug.

15. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    something is blocking the facebook video call plugin. i disabled both firewall and windows defender, but no luck...

16. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    #98 naseap, Sep 1, 2013
    I do not have the limited connectivity issue with my surface pro with win 8.1. I did not format the drive though, I ran setup from the usb drive. It did take like 3 hours to install that way.

17. Himitsu

Himitsu MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    For some reason Windows 8.1 keeps freezing on my Asus G73JH... I have absolutely no idea why, but it can happen in the desktop or even on the boot screen.

HDD light usualy is on while it's frozen. Windows 7, is perfect on my PC, no freeze or anything, just perfect.

Any idea?

18. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    You should begin with exchanging drivers.
    Use the latest chipset drivers, as well as SATA / AHCI / RAID drivers.