Windows 8.1 and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by garmon, Sep 9, 2013.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    agreed, I had to stop letting the MS SATA drivers install and use AMD to stop my usb3 ex-hdd's from falling asleep and disconnecting randomly. no issues since.

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Cool. Unfortunately for me, ASM has not released drivers for 8.1. Neither on ASUS site nor on Station drivers.
    Can you help me on one thing: Till this is sorted out, I am on win 8. Unfortunately over the last week, every day I get an irritating notification that takes up half the start metro screen. The notification tells me to update to win 8.1. I do not want and if I wanted I could have done it with my legal 8.1 key and technet iso. I have tried these 2 things in win 8 pro but nothing works:

1. PC settings: turn of all notifications including for apps and store
    2. Gone to windows update and unticked the boxes for recommended updates, etc.

Still get that notification every day randomly on sign in or on restart. I can close that but then I have to sign out and on sign in immediately go to desktop. Then tell the notification to not bug me. That has three or four choices or which the best is `remind me after 8 hours'.

Any ideas. I have win 8 pro and I think this might not happen in win 8 enterprise. I do not have the key for win 8 e and although I can use MTK 2.4.9 to use win 8 e, that would be the second option. I do have legal win 8 pro keys so why not use them.

Also what do you do to stop MS bulls**t install its SATA drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I had to go to the renesas electronics web site and download the usb3 host driver setup to get my usb 3.0 to work, I have an MSI ms-7642 mobo with windows 8.1 hop that helps someone :p

4. GreyGold

GreyGold MDL Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I have a related (probably) variant of the same issue.

After upgrading to Win8.1 on my Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD5 motherboard, I'd find a blue screen waiting for me every morning. It appeared to crash after 8 or so hours of running idle (i.e., no user input; scheduled tasks ran during the time). BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed identified the error as a driver experiencing an inconsistent or invalid power state, probably occurring in ntoskrnl.exe (minidump) or ntrkrnlmp.exe (full memory dump). Windbg further indicated that it was a USB controller (but didn't say which one).

I disabled both USB 3.0 controllers, and last night it didn't crash. I've now enabled one of them to see if anything changes; then I'll disable it and enable the other.

I haven't had anything connected to any of the USB 3.0 ports, so I can't say whether I would have performance issues as voiced by other members.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. GreyGold

GreyGold MDL Member

Jun 2, 2011
    #26 GreyGold, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    @tito - nope, but I'm about to right now. Gigabyte only lists v1.0.0.115, but I see that I can snatch v1.0.0.118 from Etron. Thanks for the advice; I'll post my results.

For what it's worth, everything's been running smoothly for the last day or so with one controller disabled and the other enabled (still using driver v1.0.0.115).

==================================================================

Update 2013.12.09 5:50PM EST - Installed latest driver (v1.0.0.118), rebooted, and enabled both USB 3.0 controllers. An hour or so later, got a BSOD with the same symptoms listed as previously. Rebooted and re-disabled the controller I had previously disabled. Waiting patiently...

==================================================================

Update 2013.12.10 08:55AM EST - With the status of the two USB 3.0 controllers reversed (previously disabled on enabled; previously enabled one disabled), my system's been solid all night, so it seems that either (1) one controller coincidentally began to fail at the same time that I upgraded to Win8.1, or (2) Win8.1 is more sensitive to misbehavior of the Etron USB 3.0 controllers. For now, I'll fight other battles, since I don't have any USB 3.0 devices - yet...

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I am now getting USB 3 and esata working as desired in windows 8.1. Could be the drivers or could be some of the windows updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. GreyGold

GreyGold MDL Member

Jun 2, 2011
    #28 GreyGold, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Looks Like the 0x9F Crashes Are UPS SW-Related

It's taken a while (due to the infrequency of system crashes), but here's where things stand now.

Regardless of how I configured my USB 3.0 ports, the system continued to crash sporadically. After more dump-drillling and a generous application of the process of elimination, I found that if I either removed my APC SUA1500 uninterruptible power supply (unplug its USB cable) or uninstalled APC's PowerChute Business Edition v9.1.0, which I was using to monitor the UPS, system stability returned.

Sniffing around APC's web site revealed that PBE v9.1.1 had been released, but nowhere in the documentation or release notes was there any mention of previous versions conflicting with Win8.1. Undaunted, I installed the latest version, and my system ran stably for several days, eventually crashing again with the same symptoms as previously. So it appears that the new version of PBE partially addresses the incompatibility issue (probably as an unintentional side effect), but doesn't cure it completely. (Interesting that APC manages to send me plenty of marketing hype, but never bothered to provide any notification of revisions to PBE. Hard to believe, I know...)

I have since uninstalled PBE and reverted to Windows' native UPS support. We'll see what happens.

9. Mohli

Mohli MDL Novice

May 17, 2014
    Etron USB 3.0

Blue screen.jpg
    Hi, did you ever solve your problems?

I have a similar one with an Etron USB 3.0 PCIe card. It gives this info on the blue screen which I get every time I wake the PC. If I disable the card it's ok.

I have updated all drivers from Asus and the one from Etron but still the same. Anyone know if there would be any conflicts between the ASMedia XHCI Controller and the Etron?

I have gained a mouse controlled graphical bios from the Asus update which is something!

Mohli

10. GreyGold

GreyGold MDL Member

Jun 2, 2011
    It turns out that my assumption that the issue had something to do with USB 3.0 was erroneous. After uninstalling PBE, my system has become rock-solid.

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    What is PBE?

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    PowerChute Business Edition. :)

13. Mohli

Mohli MDL Novice

May 17, 2014
    #33 Mohli, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    I'm glad you sorted it out, it can be a real pain finding what conflicts with what.

I may have solved mine too, I found an updated usb 3.0 file on the Etron site. I've awakened the PC 3 times so far and it hasn't shown the blue screen or rebooted.

I now have a mouse controlled bios too after updating Asus board so that is a bonus

Mohli