Windows 8.1 as reliable as Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tourniquet, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Dutchman01

Dutchman01 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I fully agree

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #42 Espionage724, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Was Vista really a bugged mess? Or were drivers simply not compatible, and OEM's shipping computers with very sub-par amounts of RAM?

I used Vista back around launch, on a computer with an Intel GMA, and 512MB of RAM, on a single-core 1.6Ghz Celeron processor. Slow? At times, yeah. Graphics driver crash a few times? Yep (only a few times though; wasn't like a daily thing like some people make out). I can't recall any issue I had being directly because of Vista though (I blame my graphics driver crashing entirely on Intel's failure to develop proper graphics drivers).

You're not required to install a Start button in Windows 8 either to be productive. On the other hand, you're required to get used to the small amount of adjustment needed to get used to it :cool: or... install a Start button from 3rd-party. Can't say my productivity has changed at all for the worse with Windows 8 in the long run, but I do admit it took some getting used to (maybe a week or so). Honestly though I can't imagine the need to be going to the Start Menu/Screen being that necessary to productivity though... (there's a thing called Desktop shortcuts and Quickbar if you "really" need access to apps that frequently, unless the Start Menu has some hidden feature I'm not aware of?).

Also where and what are these useless apps I'm being sold? Don't believe I ever felt the need to buy anything with Windows 8...

3. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    In what way was it buggy? Because OEMs refused to write proper drivers? (Not all OEMs had driver issues - even most of Vista's critics admit that.) Still, Vista not being PERFECT as far as backward-compatibility goes was indeed sufficient excuse for many.

And the last part of your rant actually makes my point for me - you didn't want to move from Windows 7 (despite the move to 8, let alone 8.1, being entirely optional - nobody, including Microsoft, is even holding a water pistol to your head). Windows 7 is NOT going anywhere - not even Microsoft has said otherwise - until 2021. Please - stop trying to blow smoke up our posteriors. It is indeed ALL about not wanting change - nothing less or more.

4. karlwhitfield13

karlwhitfield13 MDL Novice

May 31, 2013
    Performance wise i feel everything is fast and smooth. Stability wise no problems. There are no reasons for it to be 'worse' than Windows 7 i guess.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Performance-wise it seems like a good OS.
    Literally the only thing I don't like about it, as far as actual things that bother me go, is that it communicates with MS data collection servers every time you are online.
    I feel spied on and it's a little creepy.
    Other than that it's solid.

6. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    "it communicates with MS data collection servers ", what?! can you elaborate for me as this would really bug me!

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Ahh... lets see if I can remember what it's called... Mark Monitor or something...
    It sends data to the Carribean and MS gathers it up for "processing"
    I guess they are monitoring where their operating systems pop up in relation to their ip addresses.

8. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    whoa, are you serious dude? got either link or anything that talks about this or pm me.....wow

9. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    Dunno about the OS, but WMC is more buggy then win8/win7, yes, it even worse then win8 WMC, it crash with my tunner card driver, but no problem with win7/8, after research which seems to be some .net programming bug with the MCML.

10. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    #53 Dedek, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    That is funny (and sad), because Windows 8 is not a bicycle at all. It has certain changes, but none of them are technically retrograde and bad enough to earn status of a bicycle. Changes were coming either way, because you can not have one thing forever, this is just how it goes. And Windows 7 in current state - not a car at all. Who has a bicycle is you in fact, and you do not want to lose is so hard that you are gonna hate everything else.

11. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Um Bro... do you remember Windows XP release?? That s**t would blue screen so much you thought it was a screensaver. Businesses where avoiding it like the plague and windows 2000 was king.. Of course this all changed with SP2. I find it so funny the people forget that and praise XP as the best OS ever.

12. pauliewog

pauliewog MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    OMG I am so tired of people crying about not liking Windows 8 and 8.1. If you don't like it then don't use it and stick to Windows 7 or XP! Get with the times people everything changes and evolves everyday. But I do agree that Microsoft should release a sp2 for Windows 7 and give an option to use the metro UI or the modern UI that everyone is use to. I do like the fact that they made it that the start screen can use your wallpaper that you use as the background. Who ever made them designs for the start screen background must of been on a serious acid trip! lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    No need for that. I made a backup image of my C drive and I'm OK to go; no need to install s**t every time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. eydee

eydee Guest

Well, it makes me want to throw my full HD monitor into the trash can and go back to my 14" CRT from 1990. The start screen and all metro stuff is designed to run on small screens with small resolutions. That's bicycle enough for me. (Though I do love real bicycles...)

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
  16. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    That is interesting, because I have Win 8 on my laptop and on my desktop, and laptop has indeed small screen and Metro is not as good on it as is on desktop. I think it is beautiful in full hd, sometimes I even push the start button just for fun lol.