Windows 8.1 crashed

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014.

1. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    whats the point of downloading windows 8.1 single language if i am not able to boot via USB? still worth trying?

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Have you got another thumb drive? If you can't successfully install the .iso on your thumb drive, that sounds like a problem with the thumb drive.

Are you prepping your thumb drive on another computer? It sounds that way since your laptop is not booting into Windows.

3. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #23 Snuffy, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    1st learn to make a bootable USB.
    2n learn to tell your computer to allow boot to USB. (off by DEFAULT)

3d turn on (off by default) restore to Factory. then retore back to Factory Settings...

Retired Acer Repair Tech...

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    How about solving the challenges one by one :D. First would be to get proper install media matching your key, then try to create the bootable usb with the proper media source and we'll see what challenge will appear next :good3:. Deal...:cool2:?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xDownSetx

xDownSetx MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    Reset Legacy boot to UEFI, if you're using windows 8~ you'll want this.

Either use Rufus to make a bootable thumb drive with a windows 8 iso. Or manually copy the contents of the iso to a fat32 quick formatted thumb drive, copy the contents of \efi\microsoft\boot to \efi\boot. That's all that is required to make Windows 8 setup bootable.

Windows will retrieve the cd-key from the UEFI firmware automatically. Just make sure you have the correct image.

6. xDownSetx

xDownSetx MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    #27 xDownSetx, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    As for setting the boot device. Either press F2 repeatedly after you hit the power button. Or try this tip I pulled from another forum which had success from someone.
    Code:
    "Try Booting as far as you can, then press (and hold) the power switch until it shuts down, then power back up; it should boot normaly with a BIOS/Boot menu prompt."

7. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    If he burns a Pro Disk an does not mess with it, it will detect the proper version of OS by default... it will auto boot to DVD, and both RUFUS and Win7DVDUSB maker will make a proper Bootable USB. he just needs to learn how to. it takes time an so far he show he does not have the patience to do this.

proper boot method for Acer:
    To recover from a recovery backup on a USB drive:
    1. Find your recovery backup.
    2. Plug in the USB drive and turn on your computer.
    3. If it is not already enabled, you must enable the F12 Boot Menu:
    a. Press <F2> when starting your computer.
    b. Use the left or right arrow keys to select the Mainmenu.
    c. Press the down key until F12 Boot Menuis selected, press <F5> to change
    this setting to Enabled.
    d. Use the left or right arrow keys to select the Exitmenu.
    e. Depending on the type of BIOS your computer uses, select Save Changes
    and Exitor Exit Saving Changesand press Enter. Select OKor Yesto
    confirm.
    f. Your computer will restart.
    4. During startup, press <F12> to open the boot menu. The boot menu allows you to
    select which device to start from, select the USB drive.
    English
    a. Use your arrow keys to select USB Device, then press Enter.

again by default burn the Image and leave it alone.... it will select and install proper by the embedded key.
    unless he has totally borked the system. once done then he can upgrade to what version he wants.... Pro or Enterprise by add features, and enter a generic Install KEY,
    it will not Activate (but will allow install) then he can MSU in proper sequence to v17031, then he can Activate with Proper key or KMS if he lacks a Proper Key.

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Unfortunately we're talking here about Single Language Install (aka CoreSingleLanguage). Clean MS ISO should properly detect the embedded key at install stage :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It will only properly detect the MSDM table key if it's the same key group as the install media.
    If his system came with 8.0, it would have to be installed with 8.0 to auto-detect the key.
    If he uses one of them fancy bios key checker progs he could install with the default retail key and change it later in 8.1

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  11. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    You are correct on the Single Language. (my error)

12. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    so i can use the pro ISO that i have downloaded as is and create a bootable usb and it should work (that is detect os as single language by default) and should also install the key? and yes i have changed the boot priority and also enabled F12 but it didnt work, it still comes up and preparing automatic repair and then shuts down. So what are my options?
    Edit: I have also downloaded 8.1 single language.

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Still a NO for that :cool2:. Was a misunderstanding :D.

14. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Few doubts that i have and need clarification on:
    1. If i flash another version of Windows 8.1 will that wipe the auto detect key from BIOS if i try to install Windows 8.1 Single language?
    2. As it is continuously going into boot loop and not able to access the recovery partition using Alt+F10, does that mean i have lost the recovery partition or it is corrupt may be?
    3. Reinstalling windows 8.1 single language will wipe the recovery partition, if there exists one?

I am not impatient, i am just curious. I have tried to fix that issue for whole day yesterday and now that i am in office, i am trying to make sure that i understand everything before i try.
    Another question: As i read somewhere that creating Bootable USB for 64bit OS on 32 bit OS will give that error that i was getting. I was using microsoft usb dvd tool, so if i use forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/29649-WinUSB-Maker-The-Windows-Setup-to-USB-Solution, will that work without error? i know that can only be ascertained after i have tried it but just asking out of experience if you have or someone else has had such issue in the past.

15. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    1 - Only if your key is from key group 26xx or 27xx. If your system came with Windows 8.0 it won't detect it as those keys are group 17xx and 18xx
    2 - I think you're supposed to use F8 before Windows starts to enter the recovery options (I've never heard of alt-f10, but someone could know more than I do)
    3 - It will wipe it if you install with Windows Setup, instead of upgrading your system through the store.

16. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    So i must download Windows 8 Single language instead of 8.1? a little confused here as s1ave77 mentioned that it should work for 8.1 too.

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #40 murphy78, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017