Windows 8.1 Defrag problem - it is finished instantaneously

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dedek, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    #1 Dedek, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Hello,

I have a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD. The problem is that when I want to defragment (optimize) or analyze the HDD (WD Caviar Black 1 TB) in native Windows 8.1 defrag tool, it goes from 0% to 100% in about 1 second and says the disk has been optimized. But it did not even do anything with the disk, HDD led did not even lit up or flash. It is like the tool skips the defragmentation and says it was done nevertheless. Even Event viewer says it was done successfuly.

What could be the problem?

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #2 Rock Hunter, Apr 14, 2014
    I have a Samsung SSD but Samsung cautions not to defrag it. SSDs are different from regular hard disks. You should use the Samsung utility called Samsung Magician to manage the SSD.

NOTE: My mistake, I didn't read the OP closely enough.

3. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I was talking about the problem with my HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB, not my SSD. I stated that I have SSD just for information purposes.

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Go to the WD site, I believe they have a software program for their drives.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    #5 Dedek, Apr 14, 2014
    (OP)
    /sigh. I do not want to go to the WD site to download some program, when the native windows defrag tool is supposed to work. I want to find a solution, not workaround - that is why I am specifically asking "what could be the problem?". No offense but how someone can answer the question "what could be the problem?" with "go to the WD site and download some program", is beyond me, sorry.

6. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Just trying to help, you may not always get the answer you want, but doesn't mean it cannot help you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    yes I appreciate that you are trying to help, but if you want to help you may as well read my question properly. I of course know that I can download a 3rd party software to defragment my HDD, but I do not want to, because the native tool should of course work. I am in the process of finding the cause and the solution to this particular problem and downloading a 3rd party software sadly does not solve anything for me.

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    When you do find the solution, I hope you will share it here with us, thanks.

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Huih, snippy answer :doh:.

Did i miss something ... since when is the Windows defrag routine useful in any way? It's crap from the very beginning.

10. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Well, I am going to check for answers later, hoping there will be at least one relevant answer from a person who perhaps has experienced this kind of problem or want to share some constructive idea what could cause it.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Your initial question were NOT that clear! And you was get an appropriate answer to your initial question! Period!

Fact is, the MS own tool isn't as good as other 3. party tools. Therefore, the use of an 3. party tool would have an better outcome, why not use that instead?

If you by any means locked your HDD in full or even partly, the MS tool may will NOT work at all. The info you was giving are not very informative and leave a lot room for speculation open! Firstly, before you start such thread and even bash people who try to help to their best knowledge, do your own Homework and read the related Log-Files for more infos what were happen as step 1 and carry on to check ALL possibilities WHAT/WHY/WHEN etc., etc.! That results please post on the forum for give those who try to help as much infos as possible!

All help given on any forum mostly done by other user's who spend THEIR FREE TIME to help. Those Helper could expect to get ALL required infos.

12. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I just checked my desktop which has 3 hard drives. I was surprised, at first, to see them all at 0% fragmentation. Then I noticed my settings were configured to "defrag automatically". (I think that's the default, as I don't recall setting them myself). That would explain it. Check your settings. (They're at the bottom of the "Optimize" dialog box).

If OP has a database with a million records (for example), defrag would not be crap. Other than that, probably not so important.

13. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I think the default setting is weekly optimization of drives.

14. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Try using other defrag software

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It will only defragment files that are small enough and spread out enough.
    There is not really a benefit to over-defragmenting or defragmenting large files.
    The reason why it helps with smaller files is so that the drive's cache has a chance to load the data into the buffer.
    If the small files were fragmented it wouldn't use the buffer cache very well.

On large files this is not a problem.

16. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    #16 Dedek, Apr 14, 2014
    (OP)
    Jesus. Are you even possible? My initial question was not clear? What are you smoking? I am done.

Firstly: Of course it leaves a lot of room to speculation open. That what it is about - speculations. I am sorry, but answering question "how are you today" with "3 o´clock" is not (I hope) anybody´s best knowledge and when I point it out, person starts to defend how he was trying to help and I am the bad one? Oh my god the state in which this society is.. is just LOL.

Secondly: I did my homework and asked for people ideas what could cause the problem. I posted every possible information.

17. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    There is no problem, by design, windows 8/8.1 defrag utility skips solid state drives, so what you see is normal, try another defrag tool if you really need to defrag them.

18. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I have not problem with my SSD. I have a problem with my HDD, so what I see is not normal.

19. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Try loading a command prompt with admin rights and defrag your HDD from there?

20. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Miss/Mr./Whatever Dedek,

You seem to want to argue with every thing everyone suggests.
    We get it, it is the hard drive that is your issue.
    We get it, you don't want a 3rd party software.
    Maybe you should try another forum where answers may be more to your liking.

I do agree with one thing you said, the state of today's society - mostly due to attitudes like yours.

Have a nice day and I hope you find what you are looking for,