Windows 8.1 Defrag problem - it is finished instantaneously

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dedek, Apr 14, 2014.

1. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #21 CODYQX4, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I remember back when 8.0 was released, they had this issue where if the first drive was a SSD, it wouldn't defrag them, but I thought they fixed it.

3. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Having two of latest gen 1tb caviars black i can tell you that the reason is that these drives have well optimized firmware and use one platter so fragmentation is minimal. You can use sysinternals diskview to check actual fragmentation of your drvie. There is also a great tool called "contig", which you can use to defragment single files on your hard drive.

4. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I like the suggestion of trying a another program. I know the OP doesn't want that as a solution, but think about trying one, because:

1 - If another program gives the same result, that's good (but not absolute) evidence that there is nothing wrong with Microsoft's program.

2 - If it differs, now you have a conclusive reason to continue asking for assistance.

Hope it gets resolved!

5. generalmx

generalmx MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2014
    I'd actually recommend Defraggler over Contig/WinContig (not sure if they're the same), since Defraggler seems to be the rather aggressive when it comes to defragmentation, trying to defrag even when WinContig says it can't.

How much space is left on the 1TB, anyway?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    This is simply an thread which should be closed because the OP isn't willing to cooperate and take advised from others. Seems to be that he started this thread just to bother other users. As bchat described well in his post (Post #20) above, best would be that the OP moves on to an different forum to get the answer that way he likes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. asdqwe876

asdqwe876 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2013
    [h=2]Windows 8.1 Defrag have done in the background,so it just take 1 s.[/h]

8. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    My guess is that the Windows default defrag settings are, and always have been working. Now that the OP finally realizes this, they are too embarrassed to admit it. Some folks are just that way.

9. ~Yoshi

~Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I believe that Windows disk defragment or SSD optimalisations get skipped if:
    • Only a small portion of the disk is actually fragmented (like 1%).
    • There's not enough free disk space. This is likely to happen with the UEFI partition structure that Windows 8.1 has.
    If the first thing is true, don't worry about it. With the second option try to free up some disk space or make the partitions larger. I know that this is hard with the system partition(s), but I don't know a solution for that.