Windows 8.1 feels slow at 4.42GHz

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nicky31, Sep 25, 2013.

1. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    There is a strange lack of vision everywhere in the computer technology world. My personal suspicion is that Steve Jobs was in reality the opposite of a "visionary" and turned an innovative field into commodified industrial design race like a freaking plastic toy company.

Console ports of games are just the same effect. The numbers don't justify a special effort if you just treat them as a percentage.

But if you consider how large software companies grew in the early PC days when the world wide number of PC's were just 10 million, surely there are 10 million sufficiently high-end graphics cards installed in PCs to be worth some creativity...

2. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    Yeah, it's really sad to see how they tread us. Just have a look who made EA such a big company and now they tread PC-User's like s**t most of the time.

I started with computers when I was 10 years old and I'm now 42 and remember the good old times.

:(

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I don't think we are headed to a console centric computer era with a fun mix of tablets included.

I feel we are more so headed towards a unified windows environment where each device tries to look the save with windows. However it ultimately fails as each device will show the Windows OS in there different ways. This is plagued by the fact that it results in dumbing down of the user interface.

It seems that all the companies are headed down this road. I mean I liked being able to be more creative on windows and do more on Windows. This just may push me towards using linux after they make the OS too dumbed down to use.

And I started doing tweaks to windows when I was 12 to 15.

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Heh that rig is right side up man.

I have a few idea's to improve on it latter such as adding or trading out the RAM for something a bit higher. I know this will be the last air cooled rig I do though.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I know what ya mean man.

It doesn't mean I haven't started planning out a new rig. That new rig is waiting at my parents which I'm doing for my dad which is an i7 4770k with a h100i water cooling closed loop cooler. I have enough experience with rig building after making half a dozen of em which I finally don't have the trouble of screwing up too badly even though occasionally I still do lol.

@ TONSCHUH I use arctic Silver 5 on all the rigs I have. Even my Xbox 360 and PS3 have it when I had to take the time to repair them. My memory is fuzzy on the 360 so it might not have it. If your curious about that card its a wireless pci card for connecting to my wifi here at my apt lol.

MrMagic I'll go ahead and answer your pm now ;)

7. Nicky31

Nicky31 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2013
    prime95 is not currently compatible with FX CPU's. Once they update it, it should work.
    It's been reported even stock speed prime95 gives errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Also as a side note that Thermal Right 120 Rev C is bolted to the motherboard lol. I kept having issues with it slipping off a bit here and there and then then the bios thermal detection would say screw you.

That looks like a very good thermal tester for the computer by the way.

9. Nicky31

Nicky31 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2013
    #72 Nicky31, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    In the case of overclocking there will always be a median between stability and speed.

If you have the time (which I sadly don't a this time) you can balance the temperature with the frequency. I usually put my machines up rough as I put them to work using Virtual Machines and at one point a video conversion. This will be up to you as we can see you can do bios overclocking as that is the best method. I'm just gonna come out and say software overclocking on the cpu is a piece of crap. Tinker with the cpu and see what results you can come up with. Use the overclockers site to create a reference by trying come up with a average of what is achieved. While also looking with a user who has the most similar hardware between the Mobo, Cpu, and cooler.

Thats what I recommend. The amount you should overclock depends entirely how much rough usage you put your computer through.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Since this is getting to be a temp thread, I seek one piece of advice for my system.

Core i7-3930k and ASUS P9X79 deluxe. Cooler: Corsair H80i. Case: CM 690 advanced.

Constraints: Delhi (India) weather which can be 100F/40C in summer and 50-60F/12-18C in winter. Also to fit in all sizes of cooling solutions, cannot go for a full tower case for now because of space constraints.

With ambient temp and case size in mind, I am not all pleased with Corsair H80i. CPU temp in BIOS often exceeds 50C and at load 80C in summers. I have to turn off `do not monitor CPU temp' in BIOS so as to avoid `over temp. error at startup'.

Can you please suggest what alternative cooling can I use. Noctua DH14?? Do not know if it will fit in my case. Corsair H90??

The bottomline is that these temps prevent me from OC much. I keep it at default 3.8GHz (turbo) or max 4GHz (multiplier of 40).

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    From what I can see your cooling is fine its merely the conditions in which you are using your computer. If your cpu is reaching temperatures that high I would recommend adding some additional case fans to further circulate the air in the machine. Perhaps the area you have located your machine is not getting enough cooling or ventilation.

I forgot to answer what my case was. Its a Cooler Master Stacker.

13. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #78 acyuta, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    That could be true. The free space on both sides of the case is perhaps 1 inch. It is in an enclosure. Cannot do much about that except to get one side of the wooden encl. cut so as to get air.

Additional case fans???. What. Pls can you please suggest Coolermaster (this is India and they are freely available).

MrMagic: Swiftech may not be available here in India (it is in Kolkata). But will read about it and try getting it. Thanks. It is Rs. 12500 ($200) which is outrageous compared with Rs. 6,000-7,000 for Corsair.
    All manufacturers build cooling with Western countries in mind. The reviewers note ambient temp of 20-25C and add +40-50C to load temp and end up with 65-70C. But what about 40C ambient.

14. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  15. Nicky31

Nicky31 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2013
    #80 Nicky31, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    (OP)
    I'm using a cosmos 2 and also feel your pain about hot weather countries no problems so far with this case ..