Windows 8.1 feels slow at 4.42GHz

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nicky31, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Nicky31

Nicky31 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Well after a lot of messing about windows 8.1 works smoother now .... also @ 4.6MHz and seems to be the right spot for us anything more just cause's us problems ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Sadly TONSCHUH I don't have the time or money at the moment to make such a pretty computer.

I did however just build an i7 rig using the h100i.

How would you rate the cooler cause I'm replacing the stock fans with phobya slim fans because of the space issues in the cosmos case.

3. xptopower

xptopower MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2013
    How did you fixed the problem?

4. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    The H100i and the Bigwater 850GT are not such different in performance, because the radiators are around the same and the water-blocks don't make such a big difference in this kind of kits.

Both come with a material-mix, which can cause corrosion / leakage, as the radiator is made out of aluminium and the water-block is made out of copper. I didn't have any issues with my Bigwater 850GT within the last maybe 13 month or so and my PC is running 24/7.

The radiators are only ~27mm thick and different fans should not make a difference, because again they are just all to similar. It's a different story if you don't mind noise and go for an EBM-Papst fan, as you can get one which moves 355m3 air per hour, but sounds a bit like a vacuum cleaner.

Compared to my new kit, they are both weaker, but that's quite normal, as my pump now moves 800L per hour and the radiator is 64mm thick, but it's not so that you get for double / triple the amount of money the same amount of performance-gain.

I rate the H100i and the Bigwater 850GT quite similar to the performance of a Thermaltake FRIO OCK (AirCooler) or a Noctua NH-D14 (AirCooler).

Your room-temp's are for both setup's quite important. Lower room-temp's result in easier / higher overclocks and running an AirCon helps a lot to keep temps on a lower level.

The kind Thermal Grease and how good it got applied is another major factor for the end-result of the performance.

If you have a custom loop, then you have to fill-up or better completely replace the coolant every 6-12 month.

:)

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Seeing as this was a first for me into venturing with watercooling I decided on a closed loop system to ease the amount of factors. Currently its running on 1 stock fan because there was not enough room to put in the other one as the radiator when right next to the case slide in area. So I had to order some 12 mm slim fans in order to get around that.

The speed on it the rig is already ridiculous so I doubt I'll see much of a speed up as a result.

6. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    Then you are really lucky. I'm not really looking forward to the summertime, but I will not run my rig with full OC all the time. I usually settle for 4200-4400MHz, which is atm enough for all my games I play.

:)

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #110 Smorgan, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Well the FX 8120 has a max frequency of around 4600 Mhz. However the issue with it is that the Power required to do so is too far off because even with a 1000 WATT PSU you can't hit that lol. Well I suppose I'm lucky as I started doing computer stuff when I was 15. That being said the max I hit was 4100 Mhz but I clocked it down to 3800 Mhz cause I had some issues at that speed. You're running higher cause you have an i7 haha. Fortunately I can try out the i7 4770k at my parents that will have enough cooling to hit those speeds as I didn't have enough time to do the proper research for the overclock.

And well seeing as I'm living in an apartment at school I really don't have the proper tools or funds to do computer stuff at the moment lolz.

@ Stanyy Well its true Windows 8.1 is like a standard windows product but worse because the RTM was flaky as hell. I want Windows to come back and love the desktop users more personally.

8. As others have covered, internet speed is not normally capped by such a fast processor. There's a lot involved in good internet speeds, you ISP, router/modem--but most likely its your drivers. I'd update your driver/chipset/network firmware/reboot. I doubt the issue is really due to Windows 8.1 itself.

9. biffe

biffe MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2013
    As metioned above, getting the chipset driver will fix your problem, if it doesnt then I would recomend trying to reset your cpu / gpu to standard settings just to observe its behavior at stock.

10. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  11. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    What's funny about this thread is that the OP'r gets accused of posting under false pretenses to showcase his rig and overclock; all the while his accusers post pictures of 'better' systems and turn the whole thread into something you might expect to see at overclock.net :D

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    That was the whole point, OP started the thread to boast, didn't work out too well for him

13. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Accusations usually have a foundation to which they are bound to. That means usually if someone is full of it they usually get what they deserve. The illusions have to end at some point only the disillusioned need to compare other forums to see the paint on the wall still drying.

14. ImDWreck

ImDWreck MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2013
    I think its because you set it to 4.42MHz:laie:. No, but seriously, Overclock whatever you want, your internet speed isn't going to go up unless you really were are 4.42MHz. Overclocking just decreases latency, to an extent, only if the object is of instance is reaching the limitation at which point it would benefit from a lower latency. Otherwise it won't do anything but make room for running more objects. Your internet browser isn't requiring more resources then you PC can supply, unless it's a P1 running Windows Vista 64-Bit:roll1:, so it won't help for that specific issue your having.

But there could be other factors that your computer is throwing in to cause this issue. If you once had a point where your internet was way faster then there could be a problem. If your only experiencing a 1-12Mbps loss then simple factors come into play. If you're a regular consumer then your area is supplied with an amount a bandwidth and judging by how much you pay you get a slice out of it. During the day if you have a high about of bandwidth then you usually won't get what you pay for because your buddy's are also using up your areas bandwidth. Once this maxes out then everyone starts leveling out. This is because of monopoly, if the area had 10MB/s and 1 out of the 5 people that live in that area just bought a package for 10MB/s then the other 4 would have 0 while that guy is using the 10MB/s. So it starts eating out yours to assist with others, making it simple, the higher your bandwidth, the higher the percentage is taken out of it when your areas limit has been reached.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    What I was saying was that doing even more of what irked one so bad about another person is not really any better at all. Because beside taking on 'his level' (as perceived by some -- it's not proven to be true), one also becomes reactionary. So I don't see how 2 vices make 1 'right' somehow. Which is another way of saying that I got the distinct impression that some people in this thread didn't need much nudging to show of their systems :p