Windows 8.1 Full transparency of the taskbar not possible

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by allmythy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. allmythy

allmythy MDL Member

Feb 15, 2010
    #1 allmythy, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    hi all.
    in windows 8 i was able to set:

- The color of the desktop background black
    - The font color of the date and time white
    - The color of the taskbar completely transparent

see here :
    Immagine.jpg
    I had realized by changing some values ​​of the registry.

with windows 8.1 i can not!!!
    I tried on all the ways, but nothing!!!
    please help.
    thank you

2. eydee

eydee Guest

No transparency for you, it drains the batteries of tablets/phones.

Microsoft.

3. allmythy

allmythy MDL Member

Feb 15, 2010
    but with win8 i was able!
    someone know how to do the tweaks i'm asking ?

4. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Just be happy with what you have :)

Happy New Year, btw

5. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It's what MS exactly wants , but we'll keep on digging for what we like.The start button is back in 8.1,though it is not the same.Customer's pressure do the change. :bangin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
  7. allmythy

allmythy MDL Member

Feb 15, 2010
    i'm asking for this :

- The color of the desktop background black
    - The font color of the date and time white
    - The color of the taskbar completely transparent

see here :
    View attachment 26211

8. jmonroe0914

jmonroe0914 MDL Novice

May 13, 2013
    #8 jmonroe0914, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    You can do all of that a few different ways, depending on how technical you want to get.

AeroGlass (glass8.berlios.de/) for 8.1 can do it, and if you choose this route, minor registry editing will be required. Unlike other taskbar transparency programs, AeroGlass uses deep hooks within DWM, meaning it uses DWM to render the transparency, not a separate program that must run in the background. This is why minor registry editing it needed, as for all intents and purposes, AeroGlass, when added, is part of the OS.

WindowBlinds from Stardock is the best option, as it gives you full control over the entire Windows 8/8.1 UI. If you love the transparent look, WindowBlinds allows you to make every portion of the Windows UI transparent.

Keep in mind transparent painting requires more graphics processing, thereby requiring more power. If doing this on a tablet or laptop, it would probably be best to create a theme for transparent effects, as well as a 2nd theme with everything the same as the first customized one, less the transparency. It's worth the $40/yr subscription for ObjectDesktop through Stardock (wincustomize.com) if you want not only complete control over the Windows UI, but also want a truly customized look and feel. Adding Rainmeter (rainmeter.net) + Stardock ObjectDesktop allows for infinite customizable possibilities.

9. jmonroe0914

jmonroe0914 MDL Novice

May 13, 2013
    #9 jmonroe0914, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    This is factually incorrect. Transparency was possible at the top of your writing through AeroGlass, which has deep hooks within DWM, running, for all intents and purposes, as part of the OS when added. I'm also almost positive WindowBlinds for Win 8/8.1 was released at the time of your writing (I could be slightly off on the time frame of Stardock's release of Win 8/8.1 WindowBlinds compatibility, although I'm almost positive they had released a compatible version before the writing of your post).

Providing misinformation due to ignorance or assumptions does no one any justice and causes problems for all, so please take a few seconds to fact check your information before posting. Posts will be around forever (unless deleted or forum shutsdown), which means they're able to be found by doing a Google search. When someone does Google adding transparency to Win 8/8.1 and they come across a post resembling what's quoted, it wastes the searcher's time and provides factually incorrect information to all that happen across it.

You are correct, though, that transparency does require more GPU/CPU processing, causing a faster drain on a battery. This is the best speculation as to why Microsoft removed Aero from Windows 8/8.1 and will not be adding it back. It would be best for those running a tablet/laptop to create a customized theme with transparency, and a second theme with everything the same minus the transparency for use while running on battery.