Windows 8.1 - Is a complete mess!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nova, Jun 27, 2013.

1. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Agree, went back to Win 8 Pro through image. Also will wait t"ll something better comes along.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fast-007

Fast-007 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    i think i'm gonne skip Windows 9 and 10 and jump directly to Windows 11 in 2030 ..

3. M0rriss0n

Sep 17, 2011
    And how do you know 9 and 10 will be? Have some information for us?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nova

Nova MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    Lol, I like how I go to sleep and overnight all the MS Fanboy Keyboard Warriors swarm in and have a "ITS A PREVIEW" circlejerk.

I know its a preview, my point is that as previews/betas go this one is pretty poor. Even if these bugs I'm experiencing are specific to me, can any of you tell me what the point of this beta actually is?
    All MS had to do was look at apple to see that PC users don't want a mobile interface on their PCs, that's why iOS and OSx are the way they are! So what do MS do? They double down on the MetroUI stuff and throw us normal users a start button.

Well thanks MS, Im so glad this was the generation I decided to stop pirating your OSes >_>

5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I agree to some extent, but in this case I'd rather not skip 8.1, but skip the Metro screen (so that's about the only useful thing for me about 8.1).
    I wonder if 8.1 is just to please some corporate users who insisted on skipping Metro, and all the other "improvements" are just there to save face. (Even though I'm not sure 8.1 is exactly what corporate users where asking for..., still too much Metro around, but maybe there will be more ways to turn that off).

6. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    for me alo +

7. stonyi1

stonyi1 MDL Junior Member

Sep 2, 2009
    After installing 8.1, and seeing not much was better, I went back to Windows 7. I'm staying with it until Microsoft decides to make a real OS for the PC!

8. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Here W8.1 is almost the same with W8,I saw no buggs until now...:eek:

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good, fine! Bye bye, See you in the maybe next decade!:D

10. M0rriss0n

Sep 17, 2011
    Why? Do you actually believe M$ is sticking with this @#%$ thinking that an OS can be for tablets phones and desktops? No way, PC market is collapsing, they have to come around and make an OS for desktops as well. No start button that only brings you to the start screen. No start screen at all. A desktop OS that is save and workable in a company environment as well as for home users. They pretend to be listening to customers, but actually they don't.

11. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    A bit off-topic maybe, but I haven't found a simple registry setting yet to turn on "Boot to desktop" right from the first setup of Windows 8.1 yet (as I said before, this is pretty much the only interesting thing in 8.1 for me). Anybody?
    A setting in autounattend.xml would be even better, have you found it yet? Thanks...

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    The point of most beta/preview software is to "test new features, give feedback of such new features, and report any and all issues/bugs you run into". Windows 8.1 Preview offers a new WDDM level, and plenty of Modern UI changes as well, so there's a handful of things to test right there, along with a lot of stuff that could break with it. Then there's the under-the-hood kernel tweaks that could also be interesting. Point being, there's plenty of reason for this preview. If you don't want to follow the standard statement for beta testing, why beta test?

If you hate Modern UI, 8.1 probably isn't going to change your outlook. The main thing I really fail to understand though is how majority of people seemingly manage to totally disregard the not-so-visible improvements though (Windows 8 is a lot more than just Modern UI...). Me for example, I don't care at all about how Microsoft added a Start Button (not even sure why this is a big deal personally), or how much cooler some Modern UI apps look. I care about the improvements WDDM 1.3 brings and I'm interested to see what developers do with it, and I care about performance increases overall.

I'm not brand-loyal to Microsoft in any way (I only use Windows because I'm a gamer; that's it). But I see nothing wrong with what they're doing with this Preview, or even with Windows 8 in-general.

I do hope that anyone having an issue with the preview though is actually reporting said issues to a Microsoft-related source (their forums, some feedback app, etc.)...

13. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Norton 360 not working so i reinstall windows 8 :(

14. Mooby

Mooby MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    FIFA 13 crashes here after the start screen. Other games work just like before.

15. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Well said. I don't really "hate" Modern UI, I just think Microsoft should have given users a choice in the first place (as they do now with "Boot To Desktop"). I don't really need the start button (I use my own simple "Window Full Of AutoIt Buttons [TM]" to start my programs if I can't remember the Function key shortcut). But I also don't like the start screen (too "childish" for me, sorry), and also don't like the right-click menu (just a bland list of seemingly unrelated stuff). The "classic" start menu was a good compromise between these two, why not offer that again (as an option)?
    I agree with your point about the "not-so-visible improvements".

16. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I'll gonna install my Norton from ISP to see if working.....:D

17. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Weird but here the driver support is better than in W8.What I mean is with W8 I had always a yellow triangle in device manager(never fixed)and now that triangle is no more(was about pci simple comunication...)

18. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    To All Microsoft Staff who are browsing this forum:

Please read each and every post written about dirty bugs of Windows 8.1; SEARCH for the posts about bugs and rectify them before you release RTM.

We NEVER need the release of 8.1 immediately, but we need the error free OS.

Take your own time, but please don't trouble us again :D

19. Mr GRiM

Mr GRiM MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Right click on the taskbar and select properties, the option is in there as well as other new options to change hot corners and what happens when you click on the start button.