Windows 8.1 - Is a complete mess!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nova, Jun 27, 2013.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    As we can see here clearly, no one is listening/reading...most treat it like it is RTM and complain :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    So far only one problem noticed with my clean install on touch and none touch screen system.
    None touch - logo + x failed to function, right click logo failed to function.
    fix for me open control panel -
    move to taskbar -> uncheck every thing
    move to navigation -> uncheck everything
    close panel -> reboot
    open back to check proper settings on taskbar and navigation
    close then reboot an now all functions work proper..
    never had that problem with the touch screen....
    so if for some reason some shortcut fails to open or close properly - try this . mine is working ever since 100% proper.

3. pinpon03

pinpon03 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    sound recorder and calculator are the metro and desktop versions thats why there are 2

4. pinpon03

pinpon03 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    why in hell do you need Norton 360?? i havent used a paid antivirus since the days of Avast and from win 7 used MSE Windows 8 does not need an ativirus :)

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    As always the more you know how to fortify your system (especially the browser, as it is an widely opened gate by default) the less you need extravagant AV solutions.

Only thing i need is a possibility to make exceptions for findings while scanning on the fly. I hate to hangle through several menus to get this done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011

Please expand on this Slave!

7. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    #107 Boops, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Well yours is different from mine cause I used the English version. 0.o

9. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    #109 Boops, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    Yes, is correct, but the SHA-1 English do not match ....

10. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  11. KR11Z4D3R

KR11Z4D3R MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2013
    Re: Win 8.1 Release is messed up

So why does MS go through all the hype and release a buggy
    software to the PUBLIC. It seems to defeat the purpose
    of trying to attract more Users to Win8??? IMO they should
    have just released this to the testers. Is MS getting desperate?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #113 pisthai, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  13. IndianScout

IndianScout MDL Novice

May 23, 2007
    it lasted less than an hour on my box and I formatted, deleted the ISO, I agree with everything posted so far..

o_O

14. KR11Z4D3R

KR11Z4D3R MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2013
    Look at yourself in the mirror Bud, you're not the one who's reading and listening??!!!
    Get out of your cave for once and take slavers with you so you can both see what
    the whole world is broadcasting about the much heralded ballyhooed Windows 8.1
    Release Preview. Read ZDNET, PCMagazine, USAToday, Yahoo, CNN, MSNBC, etc..
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    No need beeing rude here :busted_blue:. No clue what you´re trying to prove here :hmm:. No one claimed that Beta beeing perfect, it´s just what it´s supposed to be, an Evaluation release for testing purposes.

16. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Although I won't use it as a regular OS, it's still better than Vista SP1. :evil:

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Let me direct your attention to the Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ.

18. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Now, when I watched the Windows 8.1 Preview demo video by Jensen Harris, I was really excited to get the bits ASAP on my machine. Part of the reason was that snapping apps is now possible for screen resolutions smaller than 1366x768 - a feature I was heavily missing on Windows 8 RTM. But then the build they released, 9431, is a little disappointing compared to what he demoed there...

• The animated Start screen background that extends to the All Apps view is missing - OK, not a key feature but one thing I was excited to check out
    • Smart Search works great for "Marilyn Monroe", but for anything else it's just not providing the same rich results, even when I look for (obvious) key topics like "Redmond" and "San Francisco".

Further:
    • Switching the language (Win + Space) is pretty buggy, it doesn't work sometimes and I need to reboot to make it work again
    • IE11 is pretty buggy (HTTPS pages that were loaded once won't load again, Flash/JavaScript issues that make some sites like the Lenovo driver support unusable...)
    • No option to hide the Start button - I never missed it when it went away and now I find it disturbing that it has to be always visible again :thumbdown: I mean, I don't get what's going on with the minds of the people who design this: First, we're not able to enable a Start button, now we're not able to disable it... *duh* is it really so hard to provide a switch?

I know, it's just a preview and one has to expect bugs. But considering that this release is in a development stage like the Release Preview was for Windows 8, I'm really concerned about the bad quality of it. This can't be a beta, it has to be an RC if they really intend to release it later this year.

Rolling back to Windows 8 now and waiting for 8.1 RTM.