Windows 8.1 key screwed up -- now not activated

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by towermax, Feb 16, 2014.

1. towermax

towermax MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    I have a fully legal Windows 8 upgrade installation that was later upgraded to 8.1 at the Windows store.

Way back when, I got one of those free Windows 8 Media Center keys offered by Microsoft. I forgot about it because I didn't install Windows 8 until a few months later. Recently, I ran across it while sorting out old emails and decided to install it. It installed fine and the key was accepted.

But after rebooting, Windows comes up as needing activation. I checked the existing Windows key using a keyfinder and it shows that the Media Center key replaced my existing key. And the system will not accept my original key either--the error code is related to using an upgrade edition to make a clean install. It gives me no options for telephone activation. I can't use system restore because it says I have no restore points, even though one was just made a few days ago on Patch Tuesday. (I presume the restore points are tied to the key?)

I found out that the free Media center upgrade had a time limit on it, so apparently that's the cause of the problem--although the key should have been blacklisted and not accepted.

I have disabled the Media Center upgrade, but it doesn't make a difference. I have a fairly recent backup, so I'm not completely out of luck, but it's over a month old and will require quite some work to save, copy, and redo all the mail, program updates, photos, game saves, etc. since then. (I normally am backed-up daily by Windows Home Server, but I'm away from home for a couple of months.)

Does anyone know a way to get my original key to work with this mess?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 s1ave77, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Try to activate via phone :D.

in Admin cmd:
    Code:
    slui 4

After upgrading to ProfessionalWMC the Pro Key won't work, as it is for a different edition :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. towermax

towermax MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    Thanks, that got me to phone activation, but it won't accept the code--not recognized.

Looks like I'll have to restore my backup.

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep, unfortunately it sounds like that :hmm:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Just save the files in C:\Users\yourprofilename and copy them back after restoring from your backup.
    If you have installed new software since your last backup make a note, check for config data etc and re-install after restoring.

6. towermax

towermax MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    Right, I did that and more. Everything's back to normal now. It took about four hours all told. So I learned a lesson--never make a significant change to Windows 8.1 without backing up first. I'm so used to having an automatic daily backup from Windows Home Server that I'm not as cautious as I used to be . . .

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Life can be brutal and without any mercy...:D.