Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens creation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kelorgo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #201 kelorgo, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    You are asking in the wrong thread. Please ask in a thread about making a ProWMC iso.

2. S_D

S_D MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2007
    Guys, I think MS have reinstated the block. I've tried the procedure just now on my new motherboard, so have done it by installing win8 pro, then BUYING the WMC upgrade. However, it wouldn't activate online after that point. Also just tried installing 8.1 with WMC, swapping in the generic tokens I created earlier today at the start of all this and then putting in the WMC key and it's also failing to activate with 0xC004C4AA, which according to MS's own website suggests it's terminal... :(

Any thoughts?

3. S_D

S_D MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2007
    Update! I clicked the 'help' button (like that ever works, right?), did what it said and ran SLUI 04, which took me through an automated phone 'activation' with an installation ID, and a confirmation ID. Clicked 'activate' and now it's all Activated. Totally awesome!

4. KeepCool

KeepCool MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2012
    #204 KeepCool, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    New here asking for help
    I had both my laptop and my desktop activate (windows 8.1) by phone with the "data.dat" file that I have downloaded somewhere here and a free WMC KEY
    I have backed the activations with "tokens manager" because I wanted to make some hardware changes on both laptop and desktop
    After a fresh windows 8.1 install I was able to restore the activation on the laptop but not on the desktop, a lot of hardware changes I guess.
    Actually I have windows 8.1 WMC activate with KMSpico because I couldn't find this "data.dat" file anymore buy I would like to have it activate with my free WMC key.
    Can I back up the tokens from this activation to overwriting the new fresh windows install, overwriting my free windows key and good to go..?
    Actually I prefer to activate what I have presently and don't have the hassle to install everything a new..
    Thanks

P/S WMC key's are different

5. bodmas

bodmas MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2011
  6. Techiekid

Techiekid MDL Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Quick question, does anyone know if I upgrade my laptop today from OEM windows 8.0 with MCE @ Microsoft store will the upgrade esd download be windows 8.1.1 with the spring updates. Or will it be windows 8.1 and I'll have to use windows update after the installation to take it to windows 8.1.1( spring updates).

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    It will be Windows 8.1 with Update, but not just yet
    wait some days until they push the updated esd through store

8. shippy

shippy MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    Still works!

Just wanted to say that I followed the steps today and this still works without issue. Thanks Kelorgo for an easy to follow procedure!

9. Super User

Super User MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Good to know this still works. Gonna do clean install on both my systems after this month's patch tuesday.

10. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I already have Windows 8.1 Pro Retail w/WMC running. Even though I rely on Acronis and Paragon images, I decided to make a copy of my tokens. When I went to stop SPPSVC, I discovered it was already stopped. When I looked at it in Services (local), it's Startup Type is set to "Automatic (Delayed Start, Triggered Start)". I assume this is normal and my method of saving my tokens is valid. Am I assuming too much?

11. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Same infos for me ;)

12. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    It's normal, SPPSVC doesn't run very often. The system automatically starts it and stops it as needed.

13. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Thanks a lot.

This works perfectly for a clean install with en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090.iso on machines that have the free WMP upgrade key.

Instead of creating the generic tokens they can be found in the MSMG Toolkit thread downloads. The archive to download is Toolkit-v1.08.7z. and the files were provided by Kelorgo.

14. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I never uploaded generic tokens.

15. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    My mistake. I saw that you were given credit for helping to create the MSMG Toolkit thread and I made that assumption. Whoever the source was, I thank him or her.

16. pandaexpress

pandaexpress MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2014
    #216 pandaexpress, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    did you extract Pro from ProCore iso? Did you use slysoft virtual drive to look at the contents of the iso? under DVD /Sources/*.wim Is that image a Pro image that youre referring to? And where and how do I get tokens.dat and data.dat that are not specific to any PC to use to inject into the windows/system32/ spp/store/2.0

And I don't understand this part of the tutorial.

What you can do with the tokens (tested and confirmed to work)
    For example, you have a WMC upgrade key that you previously used in Windows 8. On the same PC, you can make a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC, insert the tokens you just created, and enter your WMC upgrade key. The key will be accepted and the system is activatable. Sample procedure:
    1) Install Windows 8.1 Pro with default key ending C9WKB
    2) Upgrade to WMC using default key ending JK7QT
    3) Stop SPPSVC

Because in the first paragraph of the tutorial it says to install Windows 8.0 Pro and then download the MStookit to get KMS activated. Then Download the KB2871389 update and do an upgrade to 8.1 through the store.
    So i think you have to install Win8.1 Pro twice?? IF the step above is necessary why is the need to go to the store to upgrade to Win8.1 PRo?

Where are you getting the WMC upgrade key from that you have to use the command to activate Windows 8.1 ProWMC? This is the command Im referring to. slmgr \ipk "wmc-upgrade-key" from in step 5?

I am guessing this step 5 is optional. You could either inject this key for preactivation so you don't have to hit upgrade to WMC from the windows 8.1 add features and then manually enter the WMC upgrade key?

Thanks Im a little lost.

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. pandaexpress

pandaexpress MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2014
    #218 pandaexpress, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    So do I need a WMC key and I could get the latest win8.1 pro without a pro retail key. Im asking because I want to take the MTA for Desktop support, and I want to experiment with client Hyper V. I dont want to spend money on another OS. I already bought this laptop that Im typing with right now,, which came with windows 8 but not any Hyper V. I took the 8.1 update in December. Then I took the spring update back in april. I cannot see a turn on/off features in the "Program and Features" subtab. When I go to PC info it says, it's Licensed Windows 8.1 and genuine. I noticed it's not a windows 8.1 Pro edition.

I bought an Acer v5-171 core i3 back in November 2012 which came preloaded with windows 8.0.

I am pretty sure the problem is that I don't have the Pro edition.

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    A legit WMC key is indeed enough to activate even a fresh install from a self created media.

Hyper-V is part of Professional and Enterprise versions only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. jamesg99

jamesg99 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2014
    I have a legitimate install of Win 8.1 Pro VLK (from MSDN) on my home PC and would like to install MCE.

I've just spent a couple of days getting the PC set up for work, but I also use it to watch live TV in the evening. Is it possible to get MCE installed, or do I really have to start again from scratch with a non-VLK version of Windows?

Thanks.