Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens creation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kelorgo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks Kelorgo, excellent work (again)!!!
    I will try the procedure as soon as I have the time, looks like getting the tokens exactly right is the biggest job. It would be nice if somebody could provide them, but maybe "building" them myself can be fun as well...
    I will reread your HowTo another 10 times beforehand. It's been a while since my last free-WMC-key activated 8.0 (I've been using KMS in the meantime, as many will have done), but I still have all my notes, so I guess building a pre-activated wim (or index within multi-wim) is possible once again? (Set edition, copy tokens, set key, etc?)
    Thanks again!!

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #43 Atari800XL, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Same for me. From the reactions I guess that's OK (even if it's unexpected). I will do the KB2871389 update and 8.1 upgrade tomorrow. If the de-activation is not normal, please warn me beforehand. Thanks.

...and maybe you can add this to the instructions:
    The procedure (duration 1.5+ hours depending on Internet speed)
    3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW
    (Don't worry when the system becomes "not activated" after reset)

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Becoming un-activated is fine, and is completely expected. You are entering a default key, so obviously you can't possibly have an activated system.

5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks!!! My download for the 8.1 upgrade is at 30%, I already tested if it resumes after a shutdown/ restart (luckily it does). I'll sign off for now, and resume tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the rest of the procedure, also to trying to create a 8.1 ProWMC contraption!
    Kelorgo, you da man!!

6. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Yea it would be good I would love to test this out myself but being on metered BW I cant justify the extra 4 gig at the moment

7. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    After continuing the 8.1 upgrade this morning (before starting work), this is what I'm confronted with 2 hours later (I'm on my break):
    "Can't update to Windows 8.1 0x8007000E - 0x2000C"
    I can't find too much on this error, maybe it's a RAM thing (I'm testing on an old laptop).
    I'll try on a different PC one more time tonight if nobody knows what's going wrong here...
    Of course, if anybody has the .dat files available for sharing, that might be an even better idea...

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #48 EFA11, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. thommy

thommy MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    Hi guys. I'm a newbie so it's much easier for me to ask this question this way:

Back then (before MS disabled this possibility) I took the opportunity to activate win 8 pro with free wmc serial without first activate it with pro serial. I created win 8 pro iso with Windows Download Integrator, installed it and activated with free wmc serial. Backed up activation with ATM and also backed up the installation with norton ghost. Few days ago I restored the image on the same PC with identical hardware and realized the sistem was still activated. I saw 8.1 upgrade in windows store. Can I upgrade to 8.1 through windows store normally without the need to enter any additional serial (from microsoft's "update from windows 8 to 8.1" web site tutorial it seems to me that I can). Is there a possibility to avoid signing in to microsoft account during installation (according to this, there is: "But if you're sure you want to use a local account instead, choose Create a new account, and then on the new account page, choose Continue using my existing account."). Also, I didn't set username and password for my local administrator account (I boot directly to desktop) so I don't know if this will be a problem in this case. Thanks in advance.

10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks, but I didn't have any antivirus installed, I used a completely clean setup just to be sure. Oh well, on to more testing...

11. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
    #51 oscill8r, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Yes, upgrade via the store. No additional (8.0) key required.

I'm usually disconnected during setup so skips the Microsoft Account BS, you can ofc just create a new account and choose local account.

Shouldn't be a problem.

12. thommy

thommy MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    Thank you very much for your quick reply.

13. belgicanofl

belgicanofl MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I managed to lose my free wmc key from back then and the store doesn't show it either, gg deleting emails when drunk.

Anyway, if I would install windows 8 and activate it via KMS and buy a new wmc pro key, would that key work with this method or not? :p

14. Techiekid

Techiekid MDL Member

Nov 3, 2009
    If it helps anyone. I put together a new PC build overnight. Haswell build with new processor and motherboard. I created a generic token with the old system, my own win 8 pro(retail) with wmc(promo). Took the old system apart and put the parts into new build with new Samsung SSD. Tried to win(dart) repair the old install on kingston SSD to see if it would work, but failed activation. Then I tried new clean(mbr) install on Samsung SSD with win 8.1 wmc iso with my tokens. It accepted my personal promo wmc key but online activation failed. I talked to Microsoft support just to be clear on what happened and activated by machine ID confirmation. To cut the story, I wanted to use UEFI fast boot, so I had to format SSD again to GPT and reinstall again on the same pc. Used the generic tokens I created and this time the wmc key was activated online.

So yes, the generic token will work, and confirms that the wmc serial is tied to the computer it was activated on. It will only activate online if the system is basically the same and the key is legal.

15. ace2

ace2 Guest

Thank you Kelogro, Now i have

Windows 8.1 ProfessionalWMC Generic Activation Tokens
    Windows 8.1 ProfessionalWMC x86 (Store) install.esd
    Windows 8.1 ProfessionalWMC x64 (Store) install.esd

Made Bootable with en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x86 and en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x64 TechNet DVDs and EI.CFG Edited to

[EditionID]
    ProfessionalWMC

[Channel]
    Volume

[VL]

Giving me
    en_windows_8_1_prowmc_vl_x86_TechNet_dvd&Store_install.esd_iso
    en_windows_8_1_prowmc_vl_x64_TechNet_dvd&Store_install.esd_iso

Thanks again ace2.;)

16. nuhuh

nuhuh MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    Does it matter which of these two I use?
    en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x64_dvd_2971948.iso
    en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707217.iso

17. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes it matters. If you install from pro_vl, you can't upgrade to WMC.

18. ace2

ace2 Guest

#58 ace2, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
    Need:
    en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso and Windows8-RT-KB2871389-x86 update
    OR
    en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso and Windows8-RT-KB2871389-x64 update

HOW to make Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens BY kelorgo .;)

0) Disconnect from the Internet
    1) Install Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro KMS client setup key (GVLK) ending J8CK4
    2) KMS activate using Microsoft Toolkit
    3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW
    4) Install the KB2871389 update
    5) Connect to the Internet
    6) Visit the Windows Store and start the Windows 8.1 upgrade
    7) Go have a lunch break, watch a movie or take a nap
    8) Once the Windows 8.1 upgrade completes, the procedure is complete

19. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I think he was asking about what to do when doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 (after you already have the tokens).

20. ace2

ace2 Guest

Ok thanks .:eek: