Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens creation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kelorgo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Is this on the same PC where you once activated the the WMC key or a different PC?

2. binded

binded MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    yep was my fault for using wrong kms
    now what program is able to do a back up of the keys and or restore i see that mtk is not able to activate but is it able to backup i used it for a backup but that does not mean that it really worked

3. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #103 Atari800XL, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    Kelorgo, just wanted to thank you once again for this thread. I've created two wim files (with setproductkey and added token files from this thread) for two of my systems, so these two can be autoactivated with 8.1. Very nice, very much appreciated.
    Now with the new online 8.1 KMS server, the rest of my systems can be activated as well, but of course this activation is only for 180 days, and depends on how long this (or another server) stays online. I tried backing up data.dat and tokens.dat from this KMS activation as well, but that doesn't work. Also, Josh Cell's ATM doesn't work for KMS activations (forgot about that).
    So my question to you: do you have any insights on backing up 8.1 KMS activation? If you do, please could you share them with us?
    Until more is known about 8.1 KMS backup (and emulation etc), I will also keep those "other" systems on 8.0 (KMS activated using CodyQ4's emulator and Murphy78's $oem$ folder based on it). And thanks to multiboot (I use a Grub4dos based system), they don't bite eachother, so I can have w7, w8 and w8.1 on the same PC.
    Thanks!

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    As far as I know, there is no method known to back up 8.1 KMS activation.

5. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #105 kelorgo, Oct 27, 2013
    (OP)
    I was playing around a bit and it does look like Microsoft reversed the WMC-on-KMS block. At least I was able to install Windows 8 Pro, KMS activate, then upgrade with a (used) WMC key matching that particular PC and activate it online. This used to not work at the beginning of this year, after the block. You still can't move a used WMC key to a different PC.

I don't have any new, unused WMC keys (either free or non-free), so I couldn't test whether fresh activations are possible or not.

If fresh activations are possible, then this would give a way for people to "buy" Windows 8.1 for $15:
    1) Install Windows 8 Pro
    2) KMS activate
    3) Buy the WMC upgrade ($15)
    4) Activate WMC online
    5) Upgrade to Windows 8.1 via Store

6. Jvadood

Jvadood MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    I cant seem to get the store to show up.

What i have/doing:
    Windows 8 Pro DVD (I bought this)
    Bought Key for WMC
    Trying to make a backup for 8.1
    Made DVD into a .iso for virtual machine setup

Done So far: (In Virtual Machine)
    1. Internet is OFF
    2. Install Windows 8 Pro (With a Pro Key that ended in J8CK4)
    3. Used MsToolkit 2.4.9 to activate (even double checked its activated)
    4. Went to Windows 8 "add features" (used Key that ended in G8XWD)
    5. installed KB2871389 update
    6. Rebooted (was forced to)
    7. turned ON internet
    8. Went to Store and nothing on 8.1 (things worked fine on the 17th when I originally installed 8.1, however it wont work in virtual machine)

Things tried so far:
    1. Reinstalled fresh a few times
    2. Removing keys/ Tried new keys
    3. Tried just having Windows 8 Pro only

Anyone else got any ideas? o_O

7. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks. Again, according to post #69 of this thread, unused keys can't be used for new activations, but if I have some time to spare, I will test this anyway, because I have a few left over, and have a spare PC that I want to test 8.1 on anyway. At least then we can be 200% sure

8. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    That only applies to unused keys from the free promotion. You can of course still buy fresh (unused) WMC keys for $15 from MS any time. It's the latter scenario I was referring to.

9. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #109 kelorgo, Oct 27, 2013
    (OP)
    If you have a genuine Windows 8 Pro retail key and WMC key, you don't need the procedure at all. You can activate Windows 8.1 Pro with your genuine 8 Pro key, and you can upgrade it to WMC with your WMC key.

Edit:

I don't know of any default keys that end in G8XWD. The Windows 8 Pro WMC default key ends in QGJXW. This may be your problem.

10. Jvadood

Jvadood MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    Its a upgrade Key thats the problem.

ahh ill look into that .. thank you very much.

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Doesn't matter. A Windows 8 Pro upgrade key allows you to activate Windows 8.1 Pro.

You can make a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro. During installation, your 8 Pro key will not be accepted, you have to use a default key. However, once installed, you can replace the product key with your 8 Pro upgrade key, and it will be accepted and work fine.

Once 8.1 Pro is activated, you can use your existing WMC upgrade key on it.

12. Jvadood

Jvadood MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    Excellent .. I did get a 8.1 pro .iso this is great to know thank you again.

13. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #113 triggat, Oct 27, 2013
    Kelorgo, if you have a WMC key that you once used to activate windows 8 on a certain PC but had to change the hard drive of that PC due to malfunction. Can you still use that key to successfully activate win 8.1 on that PC?

14. magesticschu

magesticschu MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2013
    OK so I have followed this procedure To a T and I'm on the last step but I realized I do not have my own wmc upgrade key. I thought that I could use the generic one that was posted to upgrade wmc from pro 8 to pro 8 wmc but that one won't work. Neither the one from 8.1 pro to 8.1 pro wmc. Getting error windows running on non core bla bla bla. Where can I find a wmc upgrade key if I didn't get the free promotional one since they aren't handing them out anymore. Or do I have to buy it for 15 bucks?

15. suitsyou

suitsyou MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    Worked for me on a new different SSD (make and size)

16. magesticschu

magesticschu MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2013
    I'm gonna be the test bunny on this one (considering I didn't snag any of the free promotional upgrade keys) so I'm gonna report if doing a freshly bought wmc upgrade on kms activated 8 pro and save the tokens and upgrade thru the store and try the newly bought key later tonight once I get home from work.

17. magesticschu

magesticschu MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2013
    #117 magesticschu, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    So I can now confirm that I am fully activated online with Windows 8.1 Pro WMC now finally!! So excited.

I can also confirm that AFTER MTK ACTIVATED WINDOWS 8 PRO AND FRESHLY BUY WMC UPGRADE KEY (ON PC WANTING TO GET 8.1 PRO WMC ON) FOR 9.99 WORKS WITH THIS METHOD USING GENERIC UPGRADE KEYS.

MY METHOD:
    after installing (offline of course) Windows 8 Pro (generic install) and activating with MTK 2.4.9 Ez activation, then rebooted into activated windows 8 pro. went to add features. ACTUALLY bought the upgrade key for 9.99. Used that to install WMC, which activated it after reboot and then left my computer online for a decent amount of time to "register my first install machine" just in case. Then i installed windows update to install store windows 8.1 update. After which time my computer booted into 8.1 Pro WMC and was activated with same key from before. Then decided to copy the token files (just in case even though i do not even use those specific token files for activation later). Then decided to put this activation guide to the test by following it to a T using generic install Windows 8 Pro key, (offline) activated with MTK 2.4.9, rebooted into activated Windows Pro 8, add features, installed generic WMC upgrade key, rebooted into non-activated Windows 8 Pro WMC, installed windows update to add store update to 8.1, (online), downloaded store update, then booted into non-activated Windows 8.1 Pro WMC, stopped svppc service, copied token files.

fresh installed of windows 8.1 pro WMC (generic install), (offline) stopped svppc service, pasted copied keys from GENERIC Windows 8 Pro + Generic WMC upgrade + Store update install (not the one i copied for my RETAIL BOUGHT WMC upgrade key (even though im guessing those might work too but dont care to test them), then slmgr.vbs -ipk (PREVIOUSLY FRESHLY BOUGHT WMC upgrade key from Windows 8 that i bought just before), then connected to internet, waited 2 mins, went to activate windows online and BAM! completely activated now for only $9.99.

Sounds pretty good to me. Going to do the same method for my desktop now which will cost me another 9.99 buying it on that machine but hell ill take that anyday.

So happy to finally be done. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

18. equicet

equicet MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    It worked for me. I have changed HDD, CPU and video card, only keeping same motherboard and memory. Maybe pushing my luck ?

19. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #119 kelorgo, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for the detailed report and accurate explanation. This is good news!

I also did my own testing as well and I can reliably activate an existing (used) WMC upgrade key on top of a KMS activated Windows 8 Pro, as long as the key matches the PC.

We can conclude that Microsoft definitely reversed the block of WMC-on-KMS they did early this year.

20. S_D

S_D MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2007
    Awesome. This is what I was alluding to in my post! I was just in the process of testing this in a VM before you replied, so now I'll do it on my desktop PC.