Windows 8.1 RTM actually has not the quality to be a final release already.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Krkan

Krkan MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bugs? Hasn't been giving me any problems, works just as good as 8 did.

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Duuuudes, that is polictics you dont get it!
    They gotta cover thier azzez just in case some creeps up which I am sure it will. Bugs are just part of the process, too many systems , too many apps, too many users.....
    So enjoy Windows and watch out for your data.

3. Ahmed28

Ahmed28 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2008
    all win+x shorcuts doesnt work in my RTM install, have tried using shexview to disable all non microsoft shell extensions, so far no luck, so I believe that this so called "RTM" is actually a "Release Canditate" :dontgetit:

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    all workee here my friend

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You might try running a "SFC /SCANNOW" because none of us are having that problem.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Or... you have conflicting software on your computer, broken files that need repaired, or it's disabled somewhere intentionally; works fine here

7. LeakHunter

LeakHunter MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    I also realized this RTM is buggy just like a Release Candidate or even worse. Although I like 8.1 much better than 8 ( better skydrive integration, metro and file explorer is much better), unfortunately a serious bug stopped me using and now I'm back at 8.
    The serious bug; Windows booted into dark screen and I only had a fast blinking cursor, after uncheck windows location provider in Turn windows features on, off.

8. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    bugs and incomplete features. Seems like this is just a preview that you can "activate", nothing more

9. phillthedrill

phillthedrill MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2013
    I tend to agree with a lot of bugs still left. I upgraded back from Windows 8, and none of the metro apps work at all. It takes almost 5 minutes to get to the desktop from signing on. It signs on, goes to a black screen for 5 minutes, and this is on an SSD! No problems on Windows 8 or the preview of 8.1. Any apps you try to open, it flashes for a second, then goes back to the desktop. I tried to repair the store, try to repair apps, tried doing a SFC /SCANNOW which found no errors. It's activated by UK Skype calling to MS. I need to take time to try to figure it all out. Oh well.

10. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Here's the thing - every release of Windows AFTER XP has been, for me, pretty much flawless at the Public Preview stage or later; the only one that wasn't was the Release Preview of Windows 8 (however, that build was an acknowledged regression - especially since the earlier Consumer Preview was pretty much flawless for most; even Microsoft admits to a footbullet on the RP). Yes - I had no issues with Vista whatever - even after the code reset/changeover to Server 2003-based code. I had no issues with XP, either (during the beta or with the RTM and later). I avoided ME because of security issues, and I moved, bag and baggage, to Windows 2000 Professional instead - but then again, I was a decided outlier even then (primarily because I was running a P-III Tuliatin with first 512 MB, then a full gigabyte, of system RAM on an ABIT VP-6 -basically a workstation board). I was, in fact, a major skeptic of the Developer Preview, and mainly because the Start menu was missing by default - the SAME issue that's been raising most of the stink today. Still, I adjusted to the Start menu being gone just fine - however, that may be because I had my own issues with the Start menu as it has existed - primarily due to the clutter factor created by kitchen-sink installations of program suites. Not only was there no longer a Start menu to get cluttered in the first place, the StartScreen actually managed to not only NOT get cluttered, it even gave me a way to search it from the keyboard - without relying on the Mark I Mod 0 human eyeball or endless organizing and re-organizing. Therefore - at least for this keyboard jockey - the StartScreen has actually been a welcome relief. The issue with 8.1 upgrades is not really a BUG bug, per se - remember, the security (as in licensing schema) did get overhauled (and the only volume SKU to even leak on the desktop side is Enterprise - VL Core and Professional are MIA and may not leak at all until closer to October), and I've had no 8.1-specific driver issues, either. Same applies to software issues (specifically, desktop software) - any software I carried over to 8 works in 8.1 just fine. What I AM hoping is that when VL versions of 8.1 other than Enterprise arrive, that there will be included a way to migrate existing VL licenses - especially Windows and Office - to the new schema without resulting in fiascoes in that area; however, that can't really be judged until volume versions of Pro (and Core, of course) either leak or become available. Installation of a retail OS as an upgrade of a VL OS has never really been a supported configuration - it's just that Microsoft has actually decided to do something about it. Overdue, actually - merely from a licensing standpoint - but decidedly an aggro-causer - not least of all for us.

11. nicktorn

nicktorn MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    I am on the side of the fence that is having a better time with 8.1 over 8. Especially on my laptop where I have struggled with an AMD/Intel Hybrid graphics laptop. 8.1 has an update that brings me to the latest set of AMD drivers, I was forced to use a package that was over a year old. This cleared up many issues I was having. Overall my two systems are smoother than my 8 install.

One issue I still seem to have on two separate PC's that has lasted from 8 to 8.1 is the right click menu disappearing sometimes when I right click something in my Downloads folder.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #33 Brainsuck, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Try setup a Cable Card tuner in 8.1 Media Center you will pull your hair out Xbox one a Train Wreck to
    This is Ms Cover up

The fact that it isn't a Media Center Extender is ridiculous. There's no reason to exclude that functionality - it's all MS property, and the obviously, the 360 does it just fine. I hope that there is an "App" for it and that they're excluding it just to avoid muddying the waters in terms of TV viewing functionality with their silly HDMI pass through stopgap. Either that, or they are abandoning the MCE platform to keep cozy with the cable operators so they'll continue to provide Apps and such that provide TV via IP. Anyway you slice it though, this is another anti-consumer decision that MS made with Xbox One.In 8.1 Xbox 360 Extender Is broke to

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    i have no issues

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    So tell me - how is it that the Media Center Stuff is broken in your case? Since the Media Center add-on is still there (software side), that mans that the hardware (driver) support is lacking. What hardware are you using, and have you checked to see if the drivers are installed properly? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers? (All jumping to conclusions proves is that you're jumpy.) In the case of the XB360, that IS a software issue, and some software won't release until RTM. The same was, in fact, true with the XB360 Media Center support for Windows 8 itself - or have you forgotten?

16. Aden Tengoku

Aden Tengoku MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    sounds like a happy story :giggle:

17. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #37 WIKIMACK, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    It is possible to install the RTM new leak in dual boot with me in August that already and activate new RTM.:confused:

18. wasem21

wasem21 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    bugs : high memory usage , i have 4gb ram installed , on average use it uses 2.8-3.2 gb ! , on windows 8 it never exceeded 2.8 on heavy use , on wireless panel there no option to edit the networks as it was in windows 8

19. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    network, not bug, new feature, hidden, charms bar, go to pc settings, then network, change it there

20. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009