Windows 8.1 RTM imminent

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    What is with this big need for boot to desktop. I go weeks at a time without ever rebooting my computer and when I do reboot it takes a simple click of the desktop tile to get to the desktop. I use the sleep function which works very well. I guess there are still a lot of people that turn off their computers every night.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Makes no difference to me, StartIsBack has boot to desktop, disable hot corners etc, everything I need for 8 / 8.1 in one app :D

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    yep, I only was talking about it because some were crying after it. I myself never missed this option because my time allows a click on the desktop tile on start screen even after a daily reboot

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I suspect several things lead up to the "boot to desktop" situation.

1. No matter what MS does/changes people will complain.
    2. Some people can't handle change.
    3. Some people simply don't like it, to each his own.
    4. See #1.

ETA - I re-boot so rarely it is a non-issue for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Firstly, as long as the Electricity is working well and stable and also a proper grounding is installed, I mean by the Electric Companies, than it wouldn't be a problem for to use Sleep Mode.

In Thailand that's not so good! Unstable Power from Electric Authorities, No Grounding, No Lightning protection at all and , and, and! Even self installed Grounding will not protect 100%! I had a few weeks ago in an Thunderstorm 3 UPS's, 2 Switches 2 Cable Modems, 1 Mainboard burned with installed Grounding! Outside Working hours the electricity is off for all machines, except 1 Mail-Server with UPS 1500VA and 1 Cable Modem

Secondly, if the cost of electricity isn't play any role for the User than it's fine also.

1 computer running 24/7 (even in Sleep Mode) cost's between US$ 30-50 a month in Thailand. I'm at home and at the moment the Power consumption running 1 Computer, 2 Monitors, 1 Switch, 1 Cable Modem and a Lamp with 12W is 2.4A which calculates: 2.4A x 230V = 552W or 0.552kW/h! If I switch on the Laser Printer the Power Consumption goes up to 6-7A!

I've separate the Power to different Circuits: 1 for the normal use and the 2. for Computer and it's equipment with Ampere Meters attached. The same we using in my Office and the Companies we doing the IT Services for.

All that's done just for to keep the electricity as stable as possible in first line and secondly for to keep the costing under control!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
  7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Electric costs is why I shutdown at night too, and with Win 8's fast boot feature, there is no reason to leave it in sleep, it takes a few seconds to boot

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #68 MrMagic, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    When are they going to change the installer to say Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8 ?

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe in RTM?! Or Maybe never?!

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    What?

naseap, do you pay my bills?. No, right?. Even if they are cents per day, and again, do you pay bills?

11. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I can't believe it... so you mean as long as the electricity is stable and the power is cheap, you are free to go and waste it? Where do you think all the power is coming from, just from the inside of the socket on your wall via some kind of magic, or growing on trees...? Wake up. It's a limited amount of fossile fuels burned and nuclear reactions that produce highly-toxic waste we don't know yet where to safely deposit for the next thousands of years, now and then, now more than ever, and gone without a reason because people are too lazy to put their systems on hibernate or shut them down during the night or every time they're not going to use their machine for more than an hour.

Sorry, I don't want to sound too pathetic here, but the case is serious: stand-by mode is eating up a lot of power without a reason, and it's important to not only think about stability and cost efficience when it comes to power consumption. Put your system on hibernate if you're using a HDD, shut them down if you're using a SSD. It's stable, it will save you money AND it will help the planet. I mean, you're not spitting on your floor at home, are you? So please don't spit on the outside world as well...

Sorry because this went off-topic. To come back to Windows 8.1: I really hope there'll be an option to toggle the now permanent visible Start button on and off in RTM (although I'm not very optimistic on that part). Apart from that, I can't wait to check out the final release. I installed the preview but went back to Windows 8 after a day or two because IE and some other stuff just were not running very stable. The thing I'm missing the most on Windows 8 is that you can't snap apps on screens smaller than 1366x768.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that you read something what wasn't mentioned in any way!

If I wrote that it would be safe to use Sleep Mode while Electricity is stable and clean, didn't tell's that I would use it that way! And it's you who need to wake up and stop pathetic comments about something what wasn't told!

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I'm going to leave my PC, TV, Lights, Surround System, Laptop, Heating, Chargers and everything else I can find, all on FULL power from now on

But first I will connect my house to the street lights power supply

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Because it's NOT an RTM yet!:D

15. eydee

eydee Guest

I was talking about how funny the thread title turned out to be. Imminent means "likely to occur at any moment". I'd post a thread like this within 1 hour to the official release. So misleading for users who don't follow every build (99%).

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Quite subjective this expression. But in my own pov it is correct and valid and NOT misleading.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Hm, they worked on Technet and MSDN layout (added dates which where not there few hours ago). Something is "imminent" to come ... lol

18. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    My power bill last month was $15,000. I called the power company to complain. They asked me if I had more than one refrigerator. I said "Yes, I have one hundred of them. I run them all with the door open to cool my home. If it gets too cold, I start turning on hair dryers."

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    perhaps Tito could open a new thread dealing with power consumption :p

20. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Buddy settle down. I was just making an observation. No I don't pay your bills and never intend to, bad time of the month for you I guess.