Windows 8.1 says my key in invalid

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vincentw56, Sep 2, 2013.

1. vincentw56

vincentw56 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Sorry, I didn't know I could that. Thanks for the advice. I'll do that next time.

When you do the upgrade, it asks for an install key. Since the retail keys don't work to install, you have to use the one supplied in the original post for the 8.1 ISO.

I would be interested to know that for sure too. I heard that they do, but I cannot find any "official" information on it. My MSDN subscription has expired, but I have never had an issue with keys expiring before. I have asked a friend for a new key, but haven't heard back. If I can get my hands on another hard drive for my laptop, I might try to reinstall and verify the key.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I could imagine that a leaked MSDN key got blacklisted and so got "expired" If I'd detected someone using one of my precious keys, I'd shoot hard against because they are expensive :D

3. Trenchboygun

Trenchboygun MDL Member

Apr 8, 2013
    #23 Trenchboygun, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Guys Windows 8.1 can be activated with Tokens.dat & Dat.dat from windows 8 if you have a backup of w8 activation with the same key of windows 8 activated

I activated win 8.1 with this way
    :trollface: w8.1 2.jpg

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

I read in no uncertain terms that my Technet keys will be expiring. But that's OK. I have sever retail keys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    ok this is a expected behavior, no matter what you do none of the key will be accepted.your only/last option is to reinstall and when you reinstall just use your original key it will get activated.

6. vincentw56

vincentw56 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    It wasn't a "leaked" key. It was a genuine key from my own MSDN subscription.

Expected behaviour? Not sure I understand that. So you are saying if I install 8.1 as a brand new install using my original key, it will work? Does that mean we can't upgrade, it has to be a reinstall? Just curious.

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    the answer simply is YES. You can use your w8 key for 8.1 after having it installed with generic key > then activate with your old key

8. vincentw56

vincentw56 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Okay, so you can't just simply upgrade, it has to be a new install. Guess, I will be doing a new install.

So now my question is this: Do I need to reformat my HD or can I do the clean install were it renames the Windows and program folders to Windows.old? Basically, a reinstall without wiping the HD.

9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #29 Dolorous Edd, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. terrance

terrance MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2012
    Allow it to activate normally, if it fails activate by phone. I activated mine by just calling the United States toll free number with no issues whatsoever.

11. vincentw56

vincentw56 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    It WON'T ACCEPT my key! If it won't accept my key, how can I activate?

12. vincentw56

vincentw56 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    A friend of mine sent me a new key from MSDN and it won't accept that one either. It looks like my only choice is to reinstall.

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    When you reinstall insure that the default key you use matches the MSDN key you intend on using (Both should be Pro). Good luck.

14. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    On the surface his problem may seem the same as yours was but you don't know. Bold, size 20 font kind of looks like yelling. Do not assume you know exactly what problem he is facing, he's asking for help.

15. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  16. terrance

terrance MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2012
    First off, my apologies, I did not mean to make it look like I was yelling. I installed this on 2 systems today, the first was a Delta Win8 wmc with the free wmc key (yes I have one old system running that still for kicks and giggles). I did a upgrade with 8.1, the GUI would not accept any of the googled keys I had, so I inserted one at the command prompt, then activated by phone, no problem. I put another HDD into the system and did a fresh install, then used one of my legit keys I have, the GUI would not accept it either, so I inserted it at the command prompt and activated by phone also, no problem. So either your key is no good, or if you have not already done so try to insert it at the command prompt.

17. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    But don't work with OEM_DM key:
    • I have made a fresh installation of "Windows 8.1 Core" on an OEM PC
    • Installation routine doesn't read the OEM_DM key from BIOS / MSDM table
    • Installation routine request for a key
    • Installation routine doesn't accept manual input of OEM_DM key
    • OK - generic key works for installation
    • After finishing installation and slmgr -ipk [OEM_DM key] Windows 8.1 activates itself online.
    So:
    • Why is the OEM_DM key not accepted whilst installation - but after finishing installation via slmgr -ipk ???
    • Will all people have to use this tedious procedure when they want to do a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 on their OEM PCs ?

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    From my end, I cannot answer your questions because I do not run OEM stuff so my previous answers were only related to installations with a genuine purchased key.
    I only can imagine that they want you to upgrade from 8 > 8.1 and not doing a fresh install. As the files will come through the store it is obvious to me that most ppl will not do a fresh setup and then, procedure is easy

19. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I have 4 Dreamspark retail keys (should be the same provided to MSDN subscribers) and they all work perfectly. Whether you're upgrading or reinstalling you still have to use the default key, and then it will ask you for a new key in the "Activate Windows" menu in PC Settings (same as typing slmgr.vbs), then you're good to go.