Windows 8.1 says my key in invalid

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vincentw56, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    It always can happen that a user needs a fresh installation - e.g. when HDD got damage.

And this can happen with "Windows 8" or "Windows 8.1".

And I don't think it's an easy way:
    • Whilst start of installation you get an error: "Genuine key not accepted"
    • Search internet for solution
    • Search internet for generic key
    • Use generic key for installation
    • After installation has finished insert the genuine key (or OEM_DM key) via slmgr -ipk
    I just do a test:
    • I extracted a "Windows 8" ISO to a folder
    • Then I replaced "install.wim" with a version from "Windows 8.1"
    • And created from this folder a new ISO with "oscdimg"
    • When I now boot from this ISO
      • the installation routine reads the OEM_DM key from BIOS / MSDM table
      • or the installation routine accepts a normal retail key
    • (But the installation does not complete; stopped with an error when installation routine want to update)

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    #42 zen45, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    I installed using the suggested install serial number, then I went to the control panel and used the change product key and that worked fine without disconnecting from the internet, don't know why some people are jumping thru hoops just to get activated :( I will wait until October to activate the wmc its not important to me right now o_O and this was windows 8.1 pro 64 bit

3. saablaa

saablaa MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    sorry in adavce for my ignorance and may be off topic what is the difference between pro and core. I have installed 8.1 on win 8 pro the keys did not work but found anther key and installed, I have not done a fresh install. It did a core install. And I cannot seem to get slmgr.vbs -ipk to change any key. Will apreciate some info. Thnaks

4. Zarcu

Zarcu MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm having the exact same issue. I've upgraded several machines that were originally setup with a Windows 8 Upgrade key. Some of the machines took the key, some didn't.

5. Jonny Way

Jonny Way MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Hello,

I just posted in another thread but wanted to add here that I am having this issue as well with a CLEAN install.

My key is MSDN and Fresh Install:
    Windows 8 WZT ISO = Works with install and activation
    Windows 8 MSDN ISO = Works with install and activation

Windows 8.1 WZT = Will not install, used ei.cfg to get to desktop. slmgr -ipk will not take key says invalid. Can not even enter a key much less try to activate it.

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Last time to ask... what edition are you trying to Activate.
    ONLY RETAIL PRO or RETAIL PROWMC can be Activated..

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    to make one clear: Do not install with your key from scratch!! First install with generic key and after that use your own key > activated :D

8. Jonny Way

Jonny Way MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    For me this key is Core but to be extra clear as people keep using the word activate.

The system will not let me or the OP enter the key at all. It says INVALID key and does not save it. Activation step can not even be attempted for me or the OP.

Appreciate any help

9. Jonny Way

Jonny Way MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Well my thread on the invalid key issue just closed but I see your on here posting as well, on my thread you called me stupid. Dont call people stupid, PERIOD!

Seems I am not the only one with the issue, what I did miss was the CORE could not activate and that is a very small thing to miss and does not warrant you calling people stupid.

It also did not make sense at first that I can install my MSDN key with Windows 8 (WZT) but not Windows 8.1 (WZT). Yes I also know that there are keys given to install with.

My issue is that by default I always like to use ei.cfg so I skipped installing with a Key all together. Once at desktop it would not let me change my product key to my MSDN. Maybe its trying to enter and activate at the same time and failing because its CORE.

SO grabbing an ISO and doing what I normally do for every other install is not stupid.

The internet is much safer with you and your awesome posting, thanks!

l.jpg

10. vincentw56

vincentw56 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Here's a quick update.

First, thanks to all who have tried to help!

I had two systems that I was upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro from Windows 8 Pro. One had a retail key and the other had a MSDN key. The one with the retail key worked just fine. It took my key and activated with no problems.

The one with the MSDN key would never take it. It just says it is invalid. So I got another key from a friend of mine and this is what it tells me: "The Data is Invalid". This is different than the other key which says the key is invalid (not the data). So I put another hard drive in this system and installed Windows 8.1 fresh using the key from WZT. I then tried the original MSDN key and it still says the key is invalid. I then entered the new key and it accepted it and activated. Later I will try just plain Windows 8 with the original key just to see.

Now, is there a way to transfer my activation from one HD to the other? If not, then I will just reinstall, but I was trying to avoid having to reinstall all my programs.

11. matthew_eli

matthew_eli MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I'd post my experience, since I encountered the same problem. I have 2 Windows 8 Pro keys, bought as key upgrade form Windows 7. When I installed Windows 8, I used them both for a fresh new installation and an upgrade one and they worked like a charm. Yesterday I tried to upgrade my Windows 8 existing installation with the WZOR x64 Core/Pro ISO (Italian) and the setup told me the key was "invalid". Then, thinking there was a problem with the upgrade installation, I tried the same with VirtualBox and a fresh new install, but the result was still the same.

Hope you could help me finding the solution for this annoying problem :worthy: