Windows 8.1 services performance thread

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sukinsin88, Mar 15, 2014.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Most services aren't actually running.
    Disabling certain ones can cause way more problems than they create.
    Honestly, if I were you; and I had a system that wasn't up to par, I'd just use Windows 7.
    If you're using older hardware, Win7 would be just as fast as Win8.x

Sure it takes longer to setup and update everything, including drivers and ahci settings, but once you do; it will work just fine.
    That being said, there are people who spend a great deal of time reducing the footprint of win8.
    You can try looking for a lite or gamer version, but don't expect to be happy with a chopped up OS.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's all about what Hardware you really have?! If your MB has just SATA2 controller and you like to use an SATA3 HDD with their full performance, you'll need to add an SATA3 Controller! most of them having 2 SATA3 connectors which could be used for either internal or external HDD's.

And regarding SSD's: I wouldn't use them at this time any more as explained already. It's also a question of you really need that storage?! Think about you'll use your computer mainly for WHAT? Even if you like to play games, as long as they're not really need that performance, or if you didn't do Video editing and/or rendering, what the really need of such drives? And last but not least: COST! Just do an calculation of € per MB for either SSD and SATA HDD!

And, there's also an other limitation which come up: Graphic Card! The speed of the Graphic Card is more important than the speed of the Storage drive in case of Games, Video etc.! I use to play X-Plane and MS Flight Simulator X and all I need is just the speed of a SATA2 HDD together with my NOT high end Graphic Card, and that's an GeForce GT640 with 2GB, which gives me 40+ fps while running FS's using 2 Monitors! For the Camera the Framerate is even limited to max. 30fps!! And an SSD would make them faster working! The only it would have an faster effect would by starting an apps!! Is that really needed? I don't believe that and just that few seconds I could wait with no problems. I also didn't need to spend for those expensive device any money just for to show off that I've the better system, which I would never be able to use even just for 50% or less of it's performance!

That all said, it's for sure up to each owner and user what to buy, pay for and use! If someone didn't mind about to pay for something which isn't really needed, just should buy that stuff! I lose already quite a bit of money with that drives and will not spend any more for that:
    • don't need
    • don't need that never used high performance
    • don't like stuff which easy broke
    • don't like arranty claim rejections because of poor electric systems in my country
    • and more!!
    Sorry that I couldn't tell otherwise to those, who "promoting" that (for me) useless stuff!

Have a nice day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry s1ave77 to not agree with you!

Firstly: Germany has an completely different infrastructure as Thailand, special as it came to Electricity! It's simply impossible to compare the German infrastructure in that means with even most of the countries around the world! Germany has very strong and by Law covered Regulation which could be compared with just a few other countries! Or am I wrong?!

Secondly: As I wrote, it's about you need to use your computer to mainly do WHAT!

Thirdly: The cost differences between SATA and SSD! Compare the cost per MB! That applies to ALL user of computer who need to pay for that stuff! For the cost of an 120GB SSD a "normal" Thai Citizen could by the food for more than a half moth, to talk in real living terms! And that even as it seems to be that the SSD is more cheap in Thailand than in Europe! I haven't checked the price yet, may it's worth to do that?!

There may many more point's?! But from what I'd experiences on my own and also those of our customers, I wouldn't suggest the use of SSD's at this time!

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Topic is about making Win 8.1 faster. He won't gain much better speeds by neighter disabling services nor upgrading to SATA 3 HDD :cool2:.

Seems SSDs are not much cheaper here :D. Did save my money for quite a while to afford the SSD.

But the speed increase is really huge :good3:. When maintaining WIMs or ESDs and similiar stuff on my SSD i'm grinning like a Chestershire Cat :smoking:.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, Speed increase isn't ALL!! If that's your Main Point, fine, mine isn't! For me as I wrote in my post's above, don't need to reply again! Also again,m you're in Germ,any under a completely different Law as Thailand, or even Slowenia (OP's country!).

Environment (where you use the devices) play's a huge roll, special as it comes to electricity! Check the Warranty Terms, which are differently handled in Germany than in many other counties! Fact is that the return rate of SSD'd in Thailand is by about 35-40% within the first 3 month! And more than 80-90% are returned because of electricity problems.

From 3 SSD's I got 1 claimed and that's also dead already, so a total of 4 SSD's within 3 +2 month! Would you take that risk? In Germany, maybe! There you have the law on side of the customers! But Thailand!

And that's my main concern and the point not to use SSD's for the time being till the prices/cost come down to an normal level.

I was really try the get the power system to an secure level, that's simply impossible because of the bad environment. Even I use special power filters, which I did with using German products and set the protection to an level as suggested in Germany, I've more than 30 time a day the power down and restarted, last maybe just by half of the cut's! A 8kVA UPS with build in Stabilizer for my system, also didn't prevent all time about such power failures. That UPS is regulate max. 12% +/- and that's not enough! a few weeks ago I had the whole electric burned because of high power, to high power to be precise! Damages from more than 10k €! I'm on court with the Electric Authority now but that will maybe need years to get any result!

Do I need to tell more?

Don't compare Germany with other countries, you couldn't! And don't compare your income with those of other's, special not those from countries like Thailand etc.! Also didn't compare what you do on an computer with what others do, that's impossible too!

7. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I'm from Germany and I paid 120 € for a 128 GB SSD, and that's pretty expensive as one could also get food for about half a month for the same amount of money here. I know, you can't compare the income of people living and Germany and those in Thailand, but believe me, when it comes to SSDs, they're not cheap even by the standards round here. A lot of people have to work for almost two days to earn that money. German wages are overrated, they effectively stagnate since almost two decades.

Okay, if your power infrastructure is just not stable enough, maybe it's not the best idea to get an SSD. But if that's not the case, I would highly recommend one as Windows boots and applications load noticeably faster, even on SATA II. Plus, they're more robust for mobile devices due to missing mechanical parts. And silent. And if you keep them clean (not too many unnecessary writes), they will last for a very long time.

8. deagles

deagles MDL Developer

Feb 22, 2013
    You don't need a SSD for games and video editing. In this case the perfomance gain is very low because you write computed data (limited by CPU, GPU !).
    SSD's improve your access time e.g. when something is loaded into ram. Test it with windows search... it's increadible fast.
    When I work on a computer without SSD opening / closing apps feels so slow. :D Seems you have a problem with the infrastructure but thats not the SSD's fault!

9. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\MUI\LPRemove" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RemoteAssistance\RemoteAssistanceTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /DISABLE

courteously of abbodi1406

Regards

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I told that already above!! But the problems is also the sensitivity of the SSD's. That problems I didn't have with normal HDD's: SATA, SAS, NAS! If the Warranty Claims would work as for normal HDD's, I would still use them, but that didn't! I already had lose nearly 400€ with damaged SSD's which I wasn't able to claim because the damage were done by power failure! For normal HDD's the supplier's will not check, just change to a new, by SSD's they send to manufacturer and I've to wait 2-6 or maybe more weeks to MAYBE get a replacement!

So SSD's are out for me as long as that didn't change!

11. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Defrag! It's not a DMA problem. A DMA problem would be a lot worse, like writing to a cheap USB stick!

12. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Windows 7 is actually slower than Windows 8.1 Escrow, which is the fastest, most stable Windows today. This is what Vista should've been like (subtract Metro UI interface).

13. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Why did you enable the Hyper-V features in the first place when you don't use it?

That's like ordering a optional Airbag on a new car and forcefully disable it by your mechanic after you got your brand new car. :confused:

If you have to ask if you can disable these services, you might better be off with leaving them activated, because you don't know or don't bother to inform yourselve what these services do in your Windows and can't come to a conclution if you need these services.

Some of the listed services can severly disrupt your Windows in functioning well in Networking and Savety.

So my advice for you is TO ONLY DISABLE SERVICES WHICH YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO AND BE REALY REALY REALY SURE YOU DON'T NEED THEM AT ALL FOR A PROPER FUNCTIONING WINDOWS!

14. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    #34 BigW, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @BigW:
    that system will be still good enough for normal working and if you didn't need Bell's, Whistle's and Gimmik's!! That may will change with the next version of Window (9)!

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #36 Mr.X, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Installed a vm (VMware) to run an Android emulator ONLY. Which services you recommend to disable.
    And scheduled task.

A script would be just great.

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ Mr.X what happen dude? ressurecting old post lol j/k :D:p in time I believe that is better you go to website of blackviper

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks, I've been there. I just need someone that has a script or list already done, and proven it works.

19. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Code:
    @echo off
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT /v DontOfferThroughWUAU /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT /v DontReportInfectionInformation /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v ElevateNonAdmins /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v IncludeRecommendedUpdates /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Diagnostics\Performance /f /v DisableDiagnosticTracing /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Diagnostics\Performance\BootCKCLSettings /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Diagnostics\Performance\SecondaryLogonCKCLSettings /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Diagnostics\Performance\ShutdownCKCLSettings /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network\NewNetworkWindowOff /f
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters /v SMB1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

for /d %%G in (CertPropSvc,CscService,DiagTrack,DPS,PcaSvc,RemoteRegistry,SCardSvr,SCPolicySvc,Spooler,TrkWks,StiSvc,WerSvc,WMPNetworkSvc,WPCSvc,WSearch) do (
    sc config %%G start= disabled
    )
    for /d %%G in (iphlpsvc,Sysmain,WinHttpAutoProxySvc,wscsvc) do (
    sc config %%G start= disabled
    )

for /d %%G in (AITEventLog,Audio,AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener,DiagLog,EventLog-Microsoft-RMS-MSIPC-Debug,EventLog-Microsoft-Windows-WorkFolders-WHC,FamilySafetyAOT,LwtNetLog,Microsoft-Windows-Setup,NBSMBLOGGER,PEAuthLog,RdrLog,ReadyBoot,SetupPlatform,SQMLogger,TCPIPLOGGER,Tpm,WdiContextLog) do (
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\%%G" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    )
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\Circular Kernel Context Logger" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\WFP-IPsec Trace" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\Diagtrack-Listener" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\Circular Kernel Context Logger" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\SQMLogger" /f

powercfg -h off
    auditpol /set /subcategory:"Special Logon" /success:disable
    auditpol /set /subcategory:"Audit Policy Change" /success:disable
    auditpol /set /subcategory:"User Account Management" /success:disable

SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 Critical" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SetupSQMTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppxDeploymentClient\Pre-staged app cleanup" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Chkdsk\ProactiveScan" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\TelTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\Scheduled" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskCleanup\SilentCleanup" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\Diagnostics" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\File History (maintenance mode)" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Location\Notifications" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\ProcessMemoryDiagnosticEvents" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Mobile Broadband Accounts\MNO Metadata Parser" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\MUI\LPRemove" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Secure-Boot-Update" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Sqm-Tasks" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Ras\MobilityManager" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RecoveryEnvironment\VerifyWinRE" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RemoteAssistance\RemoteAssistanceTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\SetupCleanupTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackupTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\NetworkStateChangeTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive\Idle Sync Maintenance Task" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive\Routine Maintenance Task" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SpacePort\SpaceAgentTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Sysmain\ResPriStaticDbSync" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Sysmain\WsSwapAssessmentTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Idle Maintenance" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Manual Maintenance" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular Maintenance" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TPM\Tpm-Maintenance" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WDI\ResolutionHost" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Media Sharing\UpdateLibrary" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WOF\WIM-Hash-Management" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WOF\WIM-Hash-Validation" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Work Folders\Work Folders Logon Synchronization" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Work Folders\Work Folders Maintenance Work" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WS\Badge Update" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WS\WSRefreshBannedAppsListTask" /DISABLE
    SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WS\WSTask" /DISABLE
    (echo SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh" /DISABLE
    echo SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask" /DISABLE
    echo SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Maintenance Configurator" /DISABLE)>%windir%\SystemTasks.cmd
    SCHTASKS /Create /F /RU "SYSTEM" /RL HIGHEST /SC HOURLY /TN SystemTasks /TR "cmd /c %windir%\SystemTasks.cmd"
    SCHTASKS /Run /I /TN SystemTasks
    TIMEOUT /T 5
    SCHTASKS /Delete /F /TN SystemTasks
    del /f /q %windir%\SystemTasks.cmd

the second group of services (iphlpsvc,Sysmain,WinHttpAutoProxySvc,wscsvc) i only disable on vm and test installations
    otherwise, just the first group

20. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Great! Thank you.
    Question: Why wscsvc should not be disabled on a regular machine? I've disabled it on one machine and see no noticeable negative effects.
    Does it include disabling Event logging?