windows 8.1 temporary files readonly restriction

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by apoklyps3, May 7, 2015.

1. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    My boss just got a new laptop at work with windows 8.1 (coming from an old system with windows xp).
    Ended up installing Em Client as an email client on it because of the similarity with outlook express he had in the older system.
    got one major problem: he recieves documents (photos mostly) and opens them on-the-fly , rather than saving them most of the times. this photos are generated by em client in "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\eM Client temporary files\" and all have readonly tag, so you can't do nothing to them, not even rotate them. this is a big NO.
    i have tryed taking ownership, giving the user full control. nothing works.
    every time you open a photo on the fly it generates it with read-only attribute.
    any ideeas?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #3 LiteOS, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    did u try to rename temp to something else ?

if not try with recovery mode
    then move it c:\windows.old
    and use clean up

dont forget to recreate the directory

4. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    take ownership doesn't work.
    installed xnview and set it up as default picture viewer. somehow it doesn't seem to have the same problem as windows photo viewer.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Which TakeOwnership?? The apps I posted to links from above should be works, if you run it as Administrator, which is something you should do all timers you try to access (for what ever reason) restricted files and folders etc.!! If you use the Windows internal TakeOwnership feature, that may didn't works!!

So, if you hadn't try TakeOwnershipEx.exe, download and try that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    already tried. doesn't work.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    right click the temp folder go security and click your account, make sure ALLOW is checked for everything if not make it so.

Had to do this on a few systems and its in the forum here somewhere we talked about it. I dont know why temp gets set to deny on everything, only thing I could figure was it had something to do with an update. If this isn't done, you cannot install anything that needs to use the folder. Real PITA

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I just tested in 10074 and have no problems with the Temp Folder, could just delete etc. without to change any attribute or the need of Take Ownership! And the same is in Windows 8.1 Pro for both Temp folder in C:\ and C:\Windows!

I just need the TakeOwnershipEx sometimes for to delete some files in /User/AppData!

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah normally, but something (I think a windows update) causes it. Dunno why! lol

not all systems, but several I have had to do this. not all