Windows 8.1 Update 1 WimBOOT discussion

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by murphy78, Mar 6, 2014.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
  2. BrianMavPost

BrianMavPost MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2013
    Thank you for the link!

3. cutesniper22

cutesniper22 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2014
    Hi murphy78, I done my wimboot deployment with your nice guide.. However, I'm facing two issue right now..

I'm referring to the guide which using VMware workstation
    1. I tried to install download some NEW modern apps from windows store. Because I wanna to customize my os and make these apps as default installed apps when come to OS installation. Unfortunately, it does not install these when I first time boot into the wimboot. It only install those apps that originally come from win8 itself.. How can I integrate those downloaded apps into my wimboot ?

2. After successfully run on win8 wimboot, I tried to access Setting > update & recovery > Refresh or remove all... . I unable to reset my wimboot OS. It asked for inserting the win8 disc to continue the progress. Did I miss any steps during wimboot customization, why I cannot reset my custom wimboot?

4. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    appx applications are user-based as far as I know.
    So if you wanted to have them pre-installed, you'd modify the capture so that you never did sysprep or delete the user account.
    In that method you'd skip the audit mode stuff and just install as you would normally.
    There are ways to install appx applications offline, but I have no idea how you'd ever get the packages to install them, or if you need sideloading credentials.

If you don't want to have a user account defined in your image, I'm not sure there's much you can do to have those appx apps installed.

5. cutesniper22

cutesniper22 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2014
    oic... yes. I did delete all unnecessary accounts. Thank you for answering my question

Do you have any ideas on second issue? I'm not able to reset my win8. Besides, I also tried to reboot to advanced startup > TroubleShoot > I 'm not able to find "refresh ur pc" or "Reset your pc" options. Is this caused by after deleted winrem.wim?

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Hmm, well if you set the osimage and the reimage at the same time when you originally applied the wimboot image to your main partition there should not be any issue.
    There's a weird thing in Windows recovery options where if the winre.wim didn't come from the same image that was applied, it just won't work.
    It's the strangest thing. You'd think they wouldn't be linked, but I swear; if you modify a single byte of the winre.wim and try to re-assign both the winre and the osimage, they won't work.
    They will stay locked on disable.

I think it has something to do with the Hardware Abstraction Layer during the 2nd boot since that's when it initially enables them.

7. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #248 LiteOS, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    is wimboot can hook to bootmenu via easybcd?

maybe with low compress ? its will be faster?
    or better use vhd ?

8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    well, these are uefi systems, so it depends if easybcd supports the uefi boot manager modding like bcdedit does.
    For the install image it's just a bcd file, bootmgr.efi, and bootx64.efi

I'm not really sure there's any way to circumvent the speed issues. The pointer files point to the wim files.
    Wrapping the entire process in a vhd would just be an unnecessary barrier. The more hurdles the OS has to go through,
    the slower it gets. The only reason I think it'd be kind-of a wash in the first place is the massive difference in size of the
    compressed OS.

You can compress the winsxs files in a normal image btw. You just save the acl permissions to a file, compact the files and then restore the permissions.
    There's just not really any cause for it. If you had a REALLY old hard drive with like 20mb/s or lower read speed, then yah it would probably help.
    For any, even remotely recent systems, it would just not really help or hinder.

9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #250 LiteOS, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    thank for the reply
    im asking cos i always wanna to make
    the most of the accessed files/tiny files in ssd and the rest in other hdd partition like u said winsxs
    or in wimboot
    and im not fully understand this
    is it possible ?

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #251 sebus, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    D:\Windows\system32>reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recover\WindowsRE
    Directory set to: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

D:\Windows\system32>reagentc /enable
    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation failed: 70

REAGENTC.EXE: An error has occurred.

D:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:

Windows RE status:         Disabled
        Windows RE location:
        Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: dcd21f42-b534-11e2-94da-da0caf16cb6b
        Recovery image location:
        Recovery image index:      0
        Custom image location:
        Custom image index:        0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.
    Anybody any idea why? And how to fix it?

sebus

11. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Has anyone made a benchmark for Wimboot vs Normal boot? WIMBoot can only be slower but i wonder how much of a effect it has on boot time, application starting and so on so that WIMBoot is even a "worthy" choice on 64/128GB SSDs to save some space without sacrificing too much speed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #253 Flipp3r, Jul 17, 2014
    Are you running this from WinPE? You may need to specify the Target Windows:
    Code:
    D:\Windows\system32>reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recover\WindowsRE /Target D:\Windows

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I tried it briefly, and it seemed a bit slower for booting and system functions.
    It's hard to tell what is from the sysprepping process and what is a long-term issue.
    I know from experience that sysprepped images start slower, then get faster as the system has time to rebuild the superfetch and restart/start some services.

Would I recommend it for a 128gb? No.
    For a 64 or lower? Yes.

14. zholy9

zholy9 MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    #255 zholy9, Jul 21, 2014
    Same challenge

Hi SEBUS ... did you managed to sort this out? I'm facing the same issue :(

15. sweeper240

sweeper240 MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2014
    ZIPmagic - ?

Sorry if this is off-topic but ZIPmagic a software that is endorsed or recommended? Is it a 7zip or Winrar replacement?

16. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I'm using WIMBoot within a VHD and performance is pretty good on regular bases. Most documentation said something about 5 to 10% performance lost.
    But if it comes to dism operations it's pretty slow. - the WIM is the Base and all new files are get written to the HD(or in my case VHD).

If you try apply updates (offline = dism /image:X:\ ) to VHD/WIMBoot Image. it's extremly slow. I'm not completly sure if it has to with WIMBoot or VHD (or combination) but I would bet it's WIMBoot.
    Within running 8.1. I don't recognize any performance lost, but I'm using it only as dev/testing environment.

17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I expect we'll see more of this type of OS handling in the future, tho it seems like it should use a modifiable wim instead of a static one.
    It's a good start for budget systems.

18. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Promoting that garbage isn't getting you anywhere

19. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    That zipmagic stuff? It does seem odd to go around promoting it in unrelated places.