Windows 8.1 Upgrade Mandatory

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  4. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #4 CODYQX4, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I wonder if they are gonna make msdn isos for the 8.1 on or near the release date.
    Sometimes they release Service packs way before their rtm counterparts.
    Then again this isn't like a service pack, so much as an overhaul.

Gah, I'm getting all nerdy on this new thing.
    I don't even use the metro stuff very much, I don't know why I even care...

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yup the difference being the kernel upgrade which as you say requires an "overhaul" as opposed to an SP which .. to use your analogy.. merely means change the tyres, brakes, spark plugs etc...would be interesting to see how corporates tackle this issue .. particularly given the bad rep Win8 has had thus far...:eek:

Windows 7 will be our work OS for a long, long time to come IMHO :)

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 burfadel, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Windows 8.1 isn't just about Metro though. Regardless of what Microsoft have been spruiking, and people have been believing, Windows 8.1 is a cross between a service pack for Windows 8 and a quasi-new OS version. What I mean by this is in its own right, it isn't a new OS, but it is more than a service pack. It makes sense to drop support for Windows 8, no point keeping support for an OS that has been updated to a new codepath anyway, one which people should be using.

I believe Windows 8 will be available as a standalone update, with the Windows store update possibly effectively being similar to what you would normally find for a service pack in Windows Update. In this sense, you could download it once and install it on multiple machines. It is likely that you could use WSUS as well.

The Store update method just looks more impressive for people, because people are gullible and like all things 'Store' like. Hey, it's like shopping in a store, but getting something for free, yay! Of course, it's no different than through Windowsupdate, but peoples perception is that if it was available through Windowsupdate, it would be a 'meh' moment. In other words, having it 'available for free!' through the store is a much more effective means of distribution than through Windowsupdate.

Like with previous service packs for Windows, Windows 8.1 will be available as a standalone ISO, it could be available fairly soon actually. Pretty much the only thing stopping a lot of people from using Windows 8 is the interface. I have to agree, it is completely and utterly impractical and stupid to have this type of interface on a desktop or standard laptop computer. The interface unification is meant to make people familiar between Windows 8, Windows Phones, and Windows tablet, but the truth is, they are all different operating environments requiring different interfaces. Microsoft wanted to unify the interfaces not to make it easy for people, but as a marketing point to help sales of Windows Phones if using Windows 8, and vice versa. I can tell you now, you probably wouldn't buy a Windows 8 Phone if you use Windows 8, people are put off by the interface. Conversely though, people using Windows Phone would be enticed to use Windows 8, only to be disappointed on how ineffective and impractical Windows 8 is as an interface. I have a Windows Phone (8), and I think it's great, the interface is ideal for the touch environment, but it's impractical. It's not a matter of getting use to the Windows 8 interface, it simply isn't practical for a non-touch environment, period! Actually, even in a touch environment it isn't that practical either, because it can quickly get cluttered depending on what you have installed (all the non relevant icons etc). Unfortunately Windows 8.1 doesn't resolve these issues, Microsoft are steadfast on their resolve, I just hope they come to their senses sooner or later and make the interface relevant and practical for the Windows 8.1 successor. You can have cross platform familiarity without unification. Besides that, even though the style and function is unified, the major flaw (besides typical Windows 8 use not being touch) is that for the diversity needed for a desktop Windows platform, the new interface simply cannot display stuff efficiently. Besides that, the making Windows 8 less attractive hasn't helped either. There are a few things they could do to the interface to make it attractive, efficient, and practical, whilst retaining the familiarity of use between platforms, but unfortunately Microsoft have failed to capitilise that with Windows 8.1.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    There were rumours of it RTMing on August 1st (In US Date terms, 8/1) which would be tomorrow, but I have a feeling we would have heard a lot more about it by now if that were true

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There was also rumors about end of August and September!!:biggrin:

10. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    You made me spill my drink...

11. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't think there are many companies use/think to use Windows 8/8.1 in the near future, it is like grumbling to change your OS and buy compatible software for even large companies. I personally know companies still use Windows 98 as their main OS. Most companies I know are using XP at the moment, which they switched to few years ago, and in my IMHO, they will not switch again from XP after a long time as it is so much money and effort.

If I'm a business owner, I will think many times before switching to Windows 8/8.1 :)

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... service cycle for w8 product ends 2023. Some can think about new software for quite a while :D

13. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    +1, I know 1 of the Big 4 is still using xp. I am responsible for a business and I do not think I'll switch it to win8 in the near future...

14. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010