Windows 8.1 VL In-Place Update - New MSDN ISOs

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MSDNAA, Oct 19, 2013.

1. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I'm using Enterprise released on 10/17/13 from MSDN, but not working, no inplace update.

2. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    #22 Boops, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Forgive my ignorance. Could you explain better which is exactly what you want and where you supposed to be released?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Are you trying the inplace update from Windows 8 Enterprise, if yes it should work fine because i have tested on Windows 8 Enterprise and successfully updated to 8.1 Enterprise no issues at all.
    Leave your other thread and continue your discussion here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    made several inplace updates these days on ent without any issues. Problem sticks anywhere but not with a clean software

5. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Yes you are right my friend - the problem could be anything. but its normal during upgrade/update process. Now i wonder what VLSC Enterprise are going to do. :)

6. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    #26 velocidad, Oct 20, 2013
    I will try to explain better, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have a Windows 8 Enterprise activated via Microsoft on a computer without internet Access. What I'm trying to do it's to update to 8.1 and keep my activation without internet access at all.

I'm supossely have the 17/10/13 Enterprise MSDN release of 8.1, I record this iso to a DVD, insert it on this computer and it only give me 3 options:

-Install and Keep data and apps
    -Install and keep data
    -Install and keep nothing

How did you do the inplace update? Thanks in advance.

7. Roxie Mika

Roxie Mika MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm curious about something here. Let's say I have a Win8 Enterprise x64 PC, activated with a VOLUME_MAK key from MSDN/TechNet. Can I use en_windows_8_1_enterprise_x64_dvd_2971902 to in-place upgrade to 8.1 and keep my activation? There seems to have been some confusion about this in the past, when the RTM leaked...

8. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #28 MSDNAA, Oct 20, 2013
    (OP)
    Did you checked your Enterprise 8.1 (10/17/2013) ISO integrity with the MSDN Page. Please do that first. Secondly, Select "Install and Keep data and apps" and the process will take about 30-45 mts time max and let me know. Thanks

The old release 9/18/2013, can't be used for inplace update that's why Microsoft replaced with new MSDN ISO :)
    You can't keep the 8 Activation after you upgraded to 8.1 Ent. Once you upgraded to 8.1 Enterprise you will have to activate using 8.1 MAK/KMS Key if you have one. This is the confusion everyone has and looking for 8.1 Enterprise new ISO. :) Now I still don't understand what is the point of download 8.1 Enterprise if you don't have a valid key :)

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    no you cannot. MS sent out MAK for 8.1 to those who had Win8 Mak

10. romeoppp

romeoppp MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2011
    hi , I currently have win 8 professional x64 90 days trial [download from MS official ] , now if i want to test windows 8.1 , is it possible ? which iso i have to download

thank you

11. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I did, and SHA1 match with MSDN. I already did "Install and Keep data and apps" but in my opiniĆ³n that's a new installation no an update, and obiusly my activation is lost.

When you say that you had perform some inplace updates, you mean "Install and Keep data and apps" or a real update?

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    there was no pro trial but enterprise eval 90 day version which is now available as 8.1 enterprise evaluation copy

13. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #34 MSDNAA, Oct 20, 2013
    (OP)
  14. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Im not kidding. And I can also make "Install and keep data & apps" with RTM iso, so I don't understand your first post when you say that we can only make inplace update with the 17/10/13 iso.

And btw, for update I mean update, like when you do with a Windows 8 retail, you go to the store, update and you don't loose your activation.

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    is it that you don't understand the volume system. Enterprise can be updated in place but you need a new valid (expensive) key for 8.1 to activate. It does not work like public versions such as core/pro. If you don't have the key you won't get your new enterprise activated even if you upgrade to

16. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes I have read all posts so far. My question is simple. I do many many clean installs on OEM computers like Dell,HP,Toshiba, and so on. I have both the VL release on 10-17-13 and also the one that came out last month. I used the installer from last month and used a generic serial to install then changed it to my HP OEM computer serial and worked. Which of the above mentioned will work on what installations? Is the Sept one for just retail keys and VL for the OEM's? Which version do I use on what type of install I'm doing? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

17. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #39 MSDNAA, Oct 20, 2013
    (OP)
    The new 8.1 Pro VL and Enterprise ISO is specially designed to do the inplace update, you can't do this inplace update with the old ISO.
    Windows 8 Retail update via store will retain your activation. But not Enterprise or Pro VL.

You don't have to use any of the above. You should use Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) Retail ISO and use your OEM Key and if required add WMC as addon.

Cheers

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... most young artists forget that the entire volume system including enterprise and proVl versions never were designed to appear publicly. Only core/pro was made for average Joe. Business environment is different to home user's needs and so designed differently. therefore the activation system is more complicated because of the pricing/charging big companies all over the world