Windows 8.1 VL In-Place Update - New MSDN ISOs

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MSDNAA, Oct 19, 2013.

1. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Can you please clarify then what is the difference between RTM and GA inplace update on this Enterprise isos, as said before I can "Install and keep data & apps" with both isos, so I don't understand the difference.

Maybe we are all wrong and there is another different iso only released on VLSC that allow upgrade as I understand.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    if you are offered option to keep everything with the iso you have, why don't run it? There is no other iso than the one issued first and then the one 10/17 which allows inplace upgrade

3. Roxie Mika

Roxie Mika MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    Okay, that makes sense. Shame I lost touch with my pal who had MSDN access. Oh well, I'll just save up and buy legit, probably. Thanks y'all!

4. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    So your saying I can't use either of the .iso's on OEM computers? I'm more confused now than when I first posted. Isn't VL your HP's..Dell's????? I did my HP from the Sept one by using a generic key..Then once installed I used my key from the HP and it worked???

5. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    What do you mean by "Isn't VL your HP's..Dell's?????"
    "Just tell me what do you want to do? Be clear and precise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Because even both of them allow me "inplace upgrade" none of them allow me what I understand the 17/10/13 iso should do, that's an upgrade not just "keep apps & data". Also If I understand well this kind of installation only keep personal data, i.e will not keep files stored directly in the root of the drive or other folder than the user one, also will not keep changes made on the OS as it's an installation not an update.

So for me it's hard to beleive this is the only option, IT administrators that have made changes on the OS will need to do them again.

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    to make it simple:
    you have 3 choices when upgrading
    1. keep everything
    2. keep data only
    3. do a clean install by deleting all files which were previously on the drive you like to bring your new os to

so, this upgrade will run smoothly upon your choice of one of the above

any older installation of enterprise W8 out of last year which you might have activated with a legal key (?) will get lost because you will have to insert a new W8.1 enterprise key
    Any KMS activation of the past will get lost as of now or you are in a corporate environment where new V6 already runs and can activate your enterprise
    There is no more to say about it
    end of story and I guess end of patience of all involved

8. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I really apreciate your effort to make sense in this upgrade, and It's not with you or MSDNAA that I'm pissed off, it's with Microsoft.

They make a s**t OS with 8 version and after all I read here on this forum just make me clear they have overcome with this new s**t called Windows 8.1 (aka blue).

Thanks anyway for your patience.

9. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Well mate - You seems like enterprise user, then you should contact your system admin in order to get your problem resolved. Cheers
    PS: I still don't know what is your problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Ok to make myself clearer here goes. I want the .iso that I can clean install windows 8.1 Pro onto my customers machines and use their legal key from the BIOS that you find in OEM computers such as HP & Dell. Which version do I want to use? The 10-17-13 VL one or the one we all got a month ago when the leaked RTM to the OEM's was released which you install with a bogus serial then activate with your legal HP/Dell serial. Thanks.

11. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #51 panchop, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    WZT and msdn isos are the same, the msdn VL only includes the last updates available in windows update.

First you need to know what version is on the BIOS of the machines (SingleLanguage, Core, Pro)

12. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Don't these 2 .iso's offer you on install Core or Pro based on the serial in BIOS?

13. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    yes. Need the iso only. But if the key in bios is a coresinglelanguage doens't work

14. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    You can't use the Pro VL / Enterprise editions which is released on 10/17/2013. Yes you can use the Leaked RTM Editions which includes Core and Pro Editions.

Cheers

15. banbegiupdo007

banbegiupdo007 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2013
    I'm use win 8 enter MAK activation key via phone. Now I want to win 8.1.Please guide me.

Thank you.

16. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Is there a way to force the edition being upgraded to? Upgrades work fine with a single arch wim, but if i am in x64 and try to upgrade with with an all in one dual arch wim with the x86 edition first, it defaults to that even though i am in x64.

17. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    You should have a Genuine MAK/KMS Key for 8.1 Enterprise.

Can you please rephrase your question. I don't understand what do you mean by "arch" you mean "Architecture". If that's the case you should expand it. This is not any kind of chat session / board.

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    he certainly talks about architecture and is understandable so far but to get rid of his problem I simply would use an install media containing only on of these archs and the problem is gone. Afaik default startup always looks for x86 first by design

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    if question was for me: no links for enterprise, only see repository thread with torrents. VL not available at my end. If you talk to OP, I don't know :D

20. harpun

harpun MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    As reported , I also experienced the same problems with the various GA ( =RTM with roll up, tech net source) Enterprise Win8.1 bits available trying to update in-place a KMS activated win 8 enterprise copy : the only option offered by the setup being "keep personal files" and "keep nothing".
    This clearly now appears to be by design as to allow only a clean Install and therewith likely insure a better grip of the KMS activated outlet.

The only way to have a full in-place update ( keeping apps) seems to be restricted to a mythical VL Version of the Enterprise bits and only by VLSC available.
    Any sha1 signature of these secretive versions would be naturally helpful

PM for further comments