Windows 8.1 Vs Blue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by windows8lover, Apr 23, 2013.

1. windows8lover

windows8lover MDL Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Is Windows 8.1 and Windows Blue the same thing.

2. ace2

ace2 Guest

Is Windows 8.1 and Windows Blue the same thing.

YES.:(

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The difference is just the name!

Blue = Internal Code Name for Windows 8.1 by Microsoft
    8.1 = will be the Release (RTM/Final) of this version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    In short Microsoft will just bring back the START button. hihihi :popcorn:

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you take a closer look at the posted requirement for Windows 8, not on this forum only, global, you'll see that most of the complaints are about the Start Button and NOT about the Start Menu! For most of that writers the so called Start Button will have the Start Menu included, but it isn't!

The Logic by MS may is this: "Everybody or more than 50% of those who complaining, will have the Start Button back but didn't asking for the Start Menu, so we give them a Start button, which is just an easy task!"

On the other hand, in Reality both of them are really don't be needed! Just use the Win-Key to toggle between the Start Menu of Windows 8 and Desktop. Build your own custom Start menu using Windows 8 function, which is also easy to do.

I really didn't understand why everybody (or most) are begging for that Start Button and maybe that Start Menu! Everything is there already, just need to get use of it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zeeus

zeeus MDL Member

Jan 30, 2013
    HMMM I think MS never go back

7. galad

galad MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm sorry but I don't agree. The only way I know to build a custom menu is adding an application to the application bar.
    The available space is not much and you can add just few applications.
    The traditional start menu, used in many years by everyone with no complaints, is a complete list of available applications.
    You can show and hide it just by clicking the start button: I can't think about anything more efficient and useful.

In my humble opinion, Microsoft had no reason to take the start button away except than forcing users to get used to the new GUI.
    Anyway, the start button is the button which opens the start menu. It is possible that people uses the words "start button" for the button and the menu.

I like Windows 8, but there's no reason to keep desktop users away from the old efficient desktop (with all the menu and buttons).

I'm confident that Windows 8.1 will improve the user experience.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. galad

galad MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2013
    Nice to know: I never considered this opportunity. I see just one flaw: these taskbars are only shortcuts to folders; you have to search for the application binary. Nothing terrific, but it's not the same as an application menu. The question is: why deleting the start menu?

10. ace2

ace2 Guest

Because Start Screen & Apps Screen are the Start Menu (Two for One).:orb:

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    This all is depend on the person who'll use it. Everybody has a different view of things and How Too and that's simply good so. What I like for me, would never be the same for others!

Ok, the Start Menu isn't any more. What now? Use an alternate which are available in many forms and maybe there'll be one you'll like! I really bother with that and I really also didn't mind what others like or not, that's just a personal thing which changed from person to person.

And what would be the world if everybody would like or had the same!

12. Mr Theme

Mr Theme MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    I will explain so..... if u did not understand...
    I do not beg, in fact i will use 7 for a lot of years so far....
    Getting use of it it does not mean that "metro" experience is better or more usable than actual and well around still used desktop experience.

Metro is just greed of money, and who likes it, is really not aware that lego experience is only used for fugly things(chitchat asf...) because has only basically functions, same time they use other programs(not apps) which is only in standard desktop experience(moveable, overlapping and resizable, which is the best experience so far from lot of years....)...
    So that people are blind to follow the masses just for fashion and showing off.....

Nothing to learn(as Metro lovers say that we are lazy to.....)

In fact having a full screen app or start screen, that covers taskbar, hiding all info i need during my work on PC(all programs opened, time, volume level, battery level, network status,better when i pin on taskbar Network meter havin full control of my data)....
    This experience is not better, if a use a metro app, i loose all that on top, and have to struggle how to have it back closing metro app or suspending it..... more work or gestures to have at a glance what i have before working with a normal program.... and repeat AT A GLANCE!!

Sorry to everyone, Yen and Ancestor for my off-topic......

13. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    i dont want start menu back :mad: its perfect now!

14. ms-7

ms-7 MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2011
    Perfectly explained :good3:
    :kick:Congratulations, MS listened to you 2-3 years ago :p
    Start Menu is not coming back (just as you wish), only Start Button is coming back that takes you to Start Screen.

15. Haaklong

Haaklong MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2013
    Yes, just like Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango), I write it like Windows 8.1 (Blue) so people'll know that these are the same thing. :cool:

16. Haaklong

Haaklong MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2013
    I agree, ALL the functionality is preserved in Windows 8, you can't get the starty-menu back because it's still
    here, look at the charms bar, it just moved ''out of sight'' and people are panicking because they can't see it.
    :orb::nono3: