Windows 8.1 w/ Update 1 tells me to reinstall exisitng updates...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Aug 1, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    This install already has Update 1 integrated and all the updates, but now Windows tells me I need to download KB2919355 update along with a bunch of other older updates. Could it be due to messing with WinSxS folder? Should I re-download the updates and re-install them?

2. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Have you installed a language pack recently? I had the same thing 2 days ago (30/07 to be precise) just after installing en-GB LP, I've got 13 updates to reinstall (11 important updates including KB2919355, the 2 optional updates were June and july 2014 rollup).

I hardly think it has something to do with Language packs, this is just a wild guess if anyone has more clarification.

3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Just reinstall them and see if they stay this time:tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Actually, there are more than one KB2919355 update - each different sizes depending on the month it was launch but with same KB code.
    Microsoft has announced that since Update 1 launch. It's a bit confusing but thats' it. I believe i install it 3 times - once - update 1 launch, then a ~100 Mb one, later a `30 Mb one...

So install it. It may be possible to receive another one even next month in order to install Upate 2.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    What it lists as 2919355 is actually comprised of many updates, and also includes language files. Depending on what you have done with your system will determine the actual amount of downloading it will do.
    Typically after just installing it will install 2934018 and 2959977 which are part of the same 2919355 pack. If you have added a language pack, it will also download language information that is missing in your system.
    It will list it often as the full size of the updates, but when it comes to language information, it only downloads the missing information.

Also, never mess with WinSxS folder; ever.
    Even if you delete the backups folder, Windows will still *THINK* that those files are there.
    You can and will run into problems when you mess with that folder.
    doing a dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase might fix that issue for you...

6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Yep, when you add the new language pack OR system features, the OS will find out, that it is missing new langpack MUI files of windows updates and these have to be installed even for already installed updates.
    Therefore the updates will show to re-download and MUI files of new LP will be extracted from them.

7. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    YES! I did mess with language files recently, BUT I set everything back to English. Is there a way to UNINSTALL the language pack and get it all back to default, so I no don't have to re-download those files?

8. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Uninstall the unused langauge pkg, I use WHD to do that. or to add a language package..( faster to show noobies) . it is easier for those who do not know DISM cmds.
    I my self use DISM (Thanks to Murphy78, S1ave77, Paul plus several others who post DISM Scripts.)

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    You mean Windows Hotfix Downloader? I have that, but the latest version practically has no features other than downloading hotfixes...

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yah I think you can just select the option in the add language section of control panel.
    I seem to remember doing something like that when converting an image in a sysprep setup.
    Note that not every resource is determined by the language that the user sets for themselves.

What I mean is that, say you install an en-US build and add pt-BR and then remove the en-US using the control panel options.
    Well, the system language information for you will still be present if I remember it correctly.
    From what I remember, removing language packs offline will be a more effective option.
    You would do this by booting into a windows 8 dvd/ufd and pressing shift-f10 to bring up admin command prompt.
    Then you can do:
    dism /image:c:\ /get-packages

You find the exact package name and then do something like:
    dism /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.3.9600.16384

It's something like that. you change the amd64 part to x86 if it's 32-bit version of the os. You change the en-US to whatever locale code you are trying to remove.
    Then you have to remember to set the image defaults to the correct language.
    This is done with:
    dism /image:c:\ /set-allintl:pt-BR

Again that example would be to change it to pt-BR which is Brazilian Portuguese

If you are doing this for an offline install image rather than a previously installed image, you need to set the lang.ini defaults to the appropriate language codes if you change the default language/locale with the set-allintl command.

What this does is change both the language and the default locale information and currency/calendar format/etc
    It would be really annoying for someone in Brazil to be using Farenheit and U.S. Dollars.