Windows 8.1: "Windows-To-Go" not working ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NiFu, Jul 3, 2013.

1. kingferp

kingferp MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2013
    What excactly did you do to resolve the issue, or did it even get resolved. Because I am confused.

2. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    No, problem is not resolved till now.

Only work around till now: I installed "Windows 8" on USB stick, then store update to "Windows 8.1"

3. kingferp

kingferp MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2013
    Ok, I'll try that. Sounds simple enough.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    I agree with you. If you need it professionally or have enough money or time is money for you - no worth of discussion.

But if you need to save money - why not give it a try ?
    Not all people do not care to spend $7.75 or $39 just for an experiment.

A Microsoft certificated USB stick is only necessary if you use the "Enterprise" installation method. If you use the "imagex" method you also can use a cheap "not" Microsoft certificated USB stick.

6. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    I use an ex harddrive for my Win2go. I have activated it via my KMS server and it stays activated no matter where i plug it in at. The best way to use Win2go is via an ex harddrive as it has lots of space compaired to a flash drive which is limited.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    My WD passport does the same thing & is activated the same way (W8 Enterprise x64 RTM).

This AM I noticed it wasn't activated in the CP/System & a watermark was in the corner of the Desktop. I started DL & installing (62) updates, the screen blinked & the watermark was gone. After the updates were installed I checked the CP & it says it’s activated now/again.

None of my 2 flash drives w/ W2G on them are activated & won't DL & install WU updates. They have the watermark but keep working otherwise, no notification pop-up.
    Now I am wondering if W8.1 GA will act the same w/o needing activation but just keep working anyways, minus the updates, on a flash drive.

8. syuesw

syuesw MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2013
    #52 syuesw, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I encountered the same problem with you.
    How did you solve it?

9. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    What Windows version do you have used ?

• With Windows 8 it works as described.
    • With Windows 8.1:
      • With normal, cheap USB sticks (USB stick is recognized as removal drive) I haven't found a solution.
      • With expensive "Windows 8 certified" USB sticks (USB stick is recognized as hard disk) it works.

10. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    How to identify the manufacturer ?

Here I have for example two USB sticks - who is the manufacturer?

• Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device
      USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_STORAGE_DEVICE&REV_0250\000000000250&0
    • CNMemory Spaceloop 32GB USB Device
      USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_CNMEMORY&PROD_SPACELOOP_32GB&REV_0.00\07040000000007A0&0
    Do all manufacturer offer such a tool ?
    If yes - where to find their tool ?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Even if you modify your usb flash drive to run Windows to Go on 8.1, you'll not have a good time using it unless MS has determined that it's fast enough.
    I've done the rmusbprep thing on a substandard usb3 drive on 8.0 and it was a bad time... Everything took a long time.

I'd recommend using a removable usb3 hard disk instead if you really plan on using Windows 8.1 to go.
    You'll see what I mean when you try to use it with a slow flash drive.

13. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    #60 Jacoub, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Greetings All
    This is what I experienced.
    1- It is true using USB 2.0 Flash Drives is time consuming since it takes more than 45 minutes to create but it is manageable after booting so it is not bad overall
    2- I was able to use SanDisk cruze 32GB USB2 and it worked fine on Windows 8.0
    3- It is True using an External USB HD gives a better overall user experience but you need to take under consideration this in not something you can keep in your pocket or attach to your keychain
    4- I was able to use SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB3 to create Windows 8.0 to go and it was a great experience. You can create it in less than 10 minutes and it boots faster than a normal mechanical built in HD and the performance index was greater than 5.9 which is also better than a built in mechanical HD. But of course performance starts to deteriorate once you start using it extensively. I tried upgrading it to Windows 8.1 with no luck
    5- I was un able to use the same Flash Drive "SanDisk Extreme USB3 used in step 4" to create a Windows 8.1 to go Flash Drive for reasons I don't know so far. But I was able to create Windows 8.1 Single Language "or any version I want" on a brand new SanDisk Extreme USB3 Flash Drive and the overall user experience is nice. I was even able to upgrade the Windows 8.1 single language to Windows 8.1 Pro using a Windows 8.0 Pro retail Key on the same new SanDisk Drive.

Windows to Go is a great tool I was able to recover a server with a total of 4 hard disks configured as 3xRAID5 & 1xHot Spare. Two were showing dead and the 3rd was showing Defunct. IBM representative confirmed no way to recover anything. I booted the system using Windows to go on an External USB HD attached the failed storage from disk manager. Copied everything to that external USB HD. Used Acronis True Image Home to create an Image of the OS partition to a file stored on the Same External USB. Replaced all 4 HDs. Restored that Image and everything worked like a charm. I need to mention this Server was the Active Directory to the entire enterprise and It had an Archiving solution that contains over 2 Million Documents. So well done Microsoft

Using Windows 8.0 I was able to create W2G on any type of USB 2 or 3 and any version Core, Sl, Pro, Pro N, Enterprise, Enterprise N, 32 & 64
    Using Windows 8.1 I lost that option for reasons I don't know I wish somebody can advice how to resolve that

I don't want to argue the $/GB value since the solo reason "at least from my point of view" behind Windows to Go is mobility which I find it hard to carry an external HD.

Apologies if you find this boring or irrelevant but I thought of sharing it maybe somebody can come up with a solution

Thanks a lot