Windows 8.1 x64 Update 1 - is it OK to run it without any pagefile with 16Gb of RAM?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Salad

Salad MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2008
    hxxp://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Then is fine to have it. :cool:

3. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#23 my2cents, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Personally, I have been running without any pagefile.sys since XP days and I have yet to encounter any issues. However, Windows 8.1 will generate an Event Log (on boot) indicating that "crash dump initialiization has failed" if you set it to "0." In my particular case, the extra space recovered was precious to me as I always run my OS on a smaller-sized SSD. Now, my first SSD was 60GBs but since upgrading to a 120GB SSD, I have set mine to a fixed size of 400MBs (just to get rid of the event log) because I like my Event Viewer to remain "squeaky clean." Good luck with your own decision regarding this issue.

4. =)(=

=)(= Guest

I have also 16GB RAM and SSD, pagefile disabled. Never seen any software complain about pagefile missing. I am also using Photoshop portable.

5. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#25 my2cents, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Agreed! Throw in a few more tweaks and your footprint can really shrink without any side affects at all! Here's my Win 8.1 Update 1 install (footprint), running 22 installed programs and 21 portable programs. Of course, all large data/image files are stored elsewhere:

Screenshot (94).png

Screenshot (95).png

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You probably *could* get away with not using a page file for most programs you run, but why risk the BSODs?
    I think probably the better option would be to just limit the size it uses to like 2gb like a lot of people recommended.

7. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    This old same Myth and BS question again, Search would show how many times it has been asked and answered. :confused:

Learn the difference between bits and bytes 1st IMO. :p

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Polite as always ... :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    even running 32gb ram I leave it sit, no mind no matter for me. keep it off an ssd would be my only thought. Heck its only used for dropping old pages out of the way to free new ones. Like purgatory for I/O

10. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    hi I have a 32gigs of ram, no pagefile, no hibernation file, everything is running smoothly on a sata standard drive.

windows 8.1 update did complained of the errors recording who could be affected ......

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #31 Espionage724, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Does Windows even use the Page File if it doesn't have to? On Linux, my Swap Partition doesn't get touched until I run out of or low on actual RAM.

There were times where I disabled the PF on Windows, but it didn't yield me any kind of benefit, and even led to some program crashes (I remember one time playing GTA IV and out of nowhere Explorer crashed).

Edit: I'd probably just keep the PF enabled, either on a HDD, or a RAM Drive.

12. GezoeSloog

GezoeSloog knows a guy, who knows another guy.

Feb 10, 2012
    #32 GezoeSloog, Apr 30, 2014
    Yep, cause it's still Windows :biggrin5:
    Put it on a RAM Drive is the best solution.

P.S.: 8 GB RAM, pagefile off, hiberfil off. Never used Photoshop :)

13. Salad

Salad MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2008
    Putting pagefile on a RAM disk just doesn't make sense since it is used to free RAM. Pagefile only stores codes that may not be used for a long time or may never be used again. And hiberfil.sys is needed for fast startup.

Why do you not just trust Microsoft and leave those be?
    tumblr_l96b01l36p1qdhmifo1_500.jpg

14. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #34 coromonadalix, Apr 30, 2014
    I dont agree with M$oft ways of doing, in my case 32g on board, with no tweaking of thoses : I was loosing 32 gigs of pagefile, 510 megs of swap file, and 4gigs of hybernation file.

Too much for my taste ... even if the drives are getting bigger and bigger, M$oft appetite too ... they dont prone efficency and simplicity, I am with them since Win95, and past XP i began to hate them, and now on win 8.1 update, i check everything, every disk usage and file use.

My last problem i have is the WinSxS who is getting really huge with 52,420 files and 5.72 gig on disk, still expanding ...

I dont use more than 500gigs of boot drive.

I push all the other files to hot swap drives ...

Since Windows Xp, i have tweaked the page file size between 256 megs up to 2048 megs, and no windows ever complained of lack of space ???
    But i admit, i am no gamer, and don't use any image editing software and no video editing software, but i will have too in a month with sony vegas, i'll see if it cause problems.

15. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#35 my2cents, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
    Both of these commands are relevant to decreasing the size of WinSXS and must be run from an elevated command prompt:

The following command will uninstall all previous versions of components without the scheduled task’s 30-day grace period:
    DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

The following command will remove all old versions of every component. You won’t be able to uninstall any currently installed service packs (if applicable) or updates after this completes:
    DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

This is not a recommendation to use either of the above. It is only an FYI that they exist and have worked successfully on my PC. Good luck with your decision to use or not.

my2cents

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    with this settings

Paging File
    Paging File C:\pagefile.sys
    Initial / Maximum Size 16 MB / 4444 MB
    Current Size 16 MB
    Current / Peak Usage 0 MB / 0 MB
    Utilization 0 %

didnt get any problem just when converting video

17. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    the adobe way, 8GB of ram, static 8GB pagefile, premiere and photoshop work with pagefiles

18. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#38 my2cents, May 1, 2014
    Can anyone provide a reference to Adobe documentaion that specifically states a "pagefile is required" to run the above programs? The reason I'm asking is because I'm having a difficult time understanding how either one of the above programs can "circumvent" the standard Windows Memory Management process and just "take a chunk of the pagefile" for its own specific use. However, if that is possible, I would really like to know how that is done but it really sounds like that would have been a counter-productive move on Adobe's part for obvious reasons (eg, RAM is much faster if available). Moreover, I don't believe any 3rd-party software actually requires a pagefile but I've been wrong before so any links to software documentation that specifically identifies the need for a pagefile would be greatly appreciated. In summary, the only thing I know (for sure) that requires a pagefile are Windows crash dumps. From my experience, if you have adequate RAM, and your "commit charge" is never exceeded, there will be no need to invoke paging for any normal process. Looking forward to your responses.

my2cents

19. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#40 my2cents, May 1, 2014
    The reference provided yields no new information regarding a specific need for a paging file. This debate has gone on forever and I'm afraid it will never end. However, how can anyone dispute the fact that some have it disabled and are running without any issues? I, for one, have been running without one since the days of XP and I only recently decided to set it at a fixed value of 400MBs because Windows 8.1 does issue an Event Viewer warning about crash dump initialization failure when set to 0 and it also issues a similar warning (eg, min of 400Mbs required) when you attempt to set it to 0. So, if anyone perceives the need for a "large crash dump analysis", then I would agree the pagefile should remain as managed by windows. However, as most issues can be easily identified and corrected by a small crash dump there should be no "set requirement" for sizing.

Now, let's look at a specific case in point where one user reported 32GBs of RAM installed. He also reported a pagefile that was larger than 32GBs. Now, if he were using a small SSD, he would be in a heap of trouble I would assume. In summary, if my previous assumptions are correct; in that, I do not believe any 3rd-party software specifically "requires" a pagefile, instead of providing links, could anyone please "explain" why it is needed for anything other than crash dump processing "if" one has adequate RAM and one's pagefile is observed in a method such as lite8 has provided?

Please understand I am not against anyone just leaving the pagefile options to default and that may very well be the best option for the everyday user; however, sometimes those that think they have a better idea, like to try something new. And if it works, I shall not warn them without specific evidence to support my logic because its really hard to tell someone what to do when they say everything is working just fine! So, to each their own; however, I would still like anyone to offer a link to any 3rd-party software that specifically requires a pagefile.

my2cents