Windows 8 $14.99 Upgrade Code is Now available

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lgj1952

lgj1952 MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I had no problem with doing a clean install, chose to download the ISO file.
    Installed from usb.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    #42 abackos, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Same here, can you guys please link the post with the exact ISO to download? I closed the updater to test the code on my VirtualBox and now I can't even sniff the iso they send you.

Thanks.

3. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    Weird.. Did you buy the upgrade key while running Windows 8 upgrade assistant on Win7?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. superleeds27

superleeds27 MDL Member

Nov 24, 2007
    So basically.

When installing this, does it ask for a genuine key. (For the current OS) or doesn't that matter?

The cleanest way to install would be a fresh install of Win 7 etc, then install 8 on top. My main desktop currently has the bios MOD. Can i upgrade just as easy?

5. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Y dl that iso anyway? it's prob. a stripped down upgrade version IMHO...Y else would the size differ that much?

6. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    I downloaded that iso because I wanted the most up-to-date version from MS and want everything to stay 100% legit as I plan on using this laptop for a long time. I've been using the enterprise eval RTM ever since it was released and so far I don't notice anything missing, despite the smaller iso file

7. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    What's the exact name of the ISO downloaded from the updater? I closed it thinking the one I had was fine but it gives me your same message, do you have the MS link?

8. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    The install never asked for a Win7 key. But I don't think it's possible to install and activate outside of Win7 using a Win8 upgrade key (atleast with the iso provided through the upgrade assistant).

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #49 Superfly, Oct 25, 2012
    . didn't mean there'll b anything missing from final OS - just installation files may have changed.. as long as u happy its all good :biggrin:

10. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    Here is the link for the Upgrade Assistant, you can download the iso I used by running it: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262205

I can't remember the name if the iso file exactly.... I think it was just Windows.iso

11. gearman

gearman MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    I am doing this right now and would also like to know. And also will it start upgrade automatically?

12. lgj1952

lgj1952 MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Yes I did install to Windows 7. Then it all went well

13. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    Lucky you :cool:

14. lgj1952

lgj1952 MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #54 lgj1952, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    I think I pushed the wrong button here o spirit away my last post.
    Difficulty with language (google translation)

15. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    im really lost now, how many people have been successful installing by wiping the whole hard drive? and using the OFFICIAL DOWNLOAD not torrent im currently wiping all my data and backing it up to get ready to install

16. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    #56 abackos, Oct 25, 2012
    Unfortunately you'll have to buy again if you want to redownload. Did you really think I needed the software link? Thanks anyway though.

update1:
    The upgrade key works with this ISO: MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.PROFESSIONAL.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

Give me 5 mins and I will let you know about the activation.

update2:
    The code wasn't attached to Windows.

It gives Product ID: Not Available and the Activation requires a new key to be able to check for the activation. I've entered the new one and tried again. The result is the same, Invalid Product Key code: 0xC004f061. The key is valid only for the upgrade version etc. etc.

I think I have to buy another one and download the original ISO with the upgrade assistant.

17. gearman

gearman MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    Okay, I see it now.It makes a shortcut on desktop and when you open file location it is in username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WebSetup.
    Then just run the shortcut after its finished.It is not an ISO.I already have msdn iso, maybe I can just cancel download and use that?

18. ZleepKreep

ZleepKreep MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    There is no option to use the code on the upgrade advicer :s

19. ser232

ser232 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    So what will happen if you need in the future to re-install windows? ... can you backup the activation and to a clean install then restore the activation?

20. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    This is stupid, what if the power goes down and you have to restore from the previous version without the WebSetup folder? I have to buy another copy just to download the damn ISO now.