Windows 8 $14.99 Upgrade Code is Now available

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    Your upgrade key will allow you to install Win8, but it won't activate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    #82 abackos, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    I just called Microsoft and they, as usual, replied with a bs. They said tomorrow I'll get another email with the download link of the upgrade ISO, tomorrow because it's the Windows 8 release date (this is not going to work anyway since the activation will not work).

This was just a test and it didn't work as I wanted, too much confusion, too much pain. I will sell this code anyway and I'm already tired trying to deal with legal ways, I'll wait for a good loader.

3. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    Yeah it sucks we can't do any kind of clean install. I think it has more to do with the upgrade key than the ISO. If I ever need to re-install Win8 on my machine, I'll be looking for alternatives as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    did you just get the serial and not download the iso from the assistant app?

5. BobSaget

BobSaget MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Just do an upgrade from windows 7. Windows 8 has a reset your pc option where it cleans your whole system but maintains the activation, so it will be just like a clean install.

6. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    alot of people are worried about upgrading from 7 as they are using loaders, myself included.

7. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    What a bunch of @#$%&*()'s

8. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    im gonna give it a shot and install over windows 7 from the loader

9. Redsand

Redsand MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2012
    No I used both the serial and iso from the assistant app. As far as I know, nobody has tested the upgrade key with a different iso... but i have a hunch that no matter what iso you use, an upgrade key will not activate a clean install.

10. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    #90 abackos, Oct 25, 2012
    ?

Reply #56 (sorry I can't link)

I had to, I didn't download the upgrade ISO from the assistant. Why do you think I'm getting so mad? The only reason is that I CAN NOT REDOWNLOAD THE ISO, I have to buy another copy if I want to download Windows 8 again. Was that so hard to make an option that said "download with an official key"?

And of course it's not going to work, it's an upgrade key, I'm more stupid for listening to people that said you can do a clean installation.

11. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    I have just tried upgrading from bootable media it told me that it couldnt find a previous version

12. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    Is there an option to browse for previous installations?

13. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    I tried the option where you dont keep the files and it puts them in the old folder I pointed it towards my os drive and it then gave me a error at the bottom of the window saying it couldnt find any previous instalations

14. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    Ok, done. This was a big waste of time. Who cares about the upgrade anyway, I want the full version.

15. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    #95 tonyt3rry, Oct 25, 2012
    Im still in the process of upgrading from the app itself ive chosen to keep important things so far its loading ok and is on installing windows 8 screen

EDIT 50 petcent done

16. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Is it impossible to go XP 32 bit to Windows 8 x64 using this ?
    (Does it let you choose when you download which one to use)

I don't mind paying the £24.99

But I have 16GB ram so the 32 bit version is 100% useless to me.

17. Timewasted

Timewasted MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2010
    I'm pretty sure that you can in fact re-download the ISO without having to buy another copy. The e-mail that they sent you with the code has a link to "order your personal backup DVD now". That link takes you to https ://www .mswos.com/

Enter your information (order number, e-mail address, last name, etc), and it will show you your order summary. At the bottom of the page is a link that says "Click here to download Windows 8". Clicking the link gives you a Windows8-Setup.exe. I have not yet tried running it to verify that it allows you to download the ISO, but the page pretty strongly indicates that it will work.

18. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Sorry to hear guy's struggles ...got 5 'codes' to upgrade... needless to say I'm not going that way.. strange thing is I got 3 full dreamspark keys for US18 which I don't need... KMS + free WMC works for me..:thumbsup:

19. abackos

abackos MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    I will try this thank you. If you read one of my prev posts, I called Microsoft because of this annoyance, they told me to wait for an email after tomorrow.

update1:
    This way is working. Thanks again Timewasted, you saved me some time.

20. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    Mine is still installing at the moment i have the windows logo and the spinning dots does seem to take ages to load