Windows 8 (7955) Findings in M3 Leak

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by spion, Apr 26, 2011.

1. SilverlightWPF

SilverlightWPF MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Just to add my 2cents, I know WPF/Silverlight isn't going anywhere AND i'm not suggesting that in any of my posts.

BUT what I am trying to point out is if you compare what the WinMD interop layer exposes to the equivalent interfaces/functionality found in WPF/SL/WP7 you can see some pretty big differences across all the UI frameworks, as well as similarities.

And agree that this new UI Framework will be at a much reduced featureset to WPF/SL/WP7 BUT at the same time it will probably be much more lean & optimized.

The new UI framework, whatever it is called, definetely has a long way to go to match WPF/SL functionality BUT if it finally gets there it may be the better framework.

Thus we need to keep hounding MS to keep WPF/SL ticking over with improvements and fixes..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bored_neo

bored_neo MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Turns out that this dll is actually loaded, inside Windows Installer (msiexec.exe) service. So probably there's something else that's needed for app container exes to run.

3. bored_neo

Jun 3, 2011
    Yeah, turns out that app containers actually work. Installer "appx" executables simply run as low integrity process, similar to IE's protected mode. The process

- can't read/write files and registry keys all other the place, it doesn't even have access to user's files
    - it gets its own application data and temp directories
    - it gets its own NT object directory (under \Sessions\1\LowBoxNamedObjects\<app-sid>

So... pretty much sandboxed...

4. SilverlightWPF

SilverlightWPF MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011
    #244 SilverlightWPF, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    Question on WinMD

Hey Bored_Neo or NaiveUser could you possible answer a nagging question I have regarding WinMD?!

I understand that the metadata (WinMD) is a way to access the WindowsRunTime from managed code by simply referencing the WinMD in our managed projects and calling the relevant library classes/methods/properties.

Question I have is, is the WinMD files just a very small subset of the entire WindowsRunTime? I'm just wondering if Microsoft will generate the WinMD for the entire library of Windows native dlls or just a particular subset that is relevant to the vision of Windows 8.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at the actual native dll's referenced by the WinMDs' eg. System32\DirectUI.dll depends on UIAUTOMATIONCORE.dll BUT there are no exposed Windows meta data for the UIAUTOMATIONCORE.dll.

It may be too early to know the full breath of native windows runtime (WinRT) that the WinMD will expose ?! And more importantly how they created the WinMD and if we developers can create them ourselves !?

Does my question make sense ?! Sorry if it's cryptic !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bored_neo

Jun 3, 2011
    I think WinMD files contain the full WinRT api, they're likely generated automatically from .idl files. Somewhere in the BuildBinaries folder there's a midlrt.exe, the IDL compiler for WinRT probably.

However the WinRT api is a new api. It wraps some of the existing Win32 api functionality but it's by no means complete. Only time will tell if WinRT will end up wrapping all the Win32 api, probably not.

6. vrosa

vrosa MDL Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Nice summary. Thnx :)

7. NaiveUser

NaiveUser MDL Senior Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I dont understand, what purpose could that serve ? write some library code then make it inaccessible to anyone ? this doesnt make sense.

8. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
    #248 NaiveUser, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    some small interesting stuff in System.dll

Code:
    // System.EnvironmentHelpers
    public static bool IsAppContainerProcess
    {
    get
    {
    if (!EnvironmentHelpers.s_IsAppContainerProcessInitalized)
    {
    if (Environment.OSVersion.Platform != PlatformID.Win32NT)
    {
    EnvironmentHelpers.s_IsAppContainerProcess = false;
    }
    else
    {
    if (Environment.OSVersion.Version.Major < 6 || (Environment.OSVersion.Version.Major == 6 && Environment.OSVersion.Version.Minor <= 1))
    {
    EnvironmentHelpers.s_IsAppContainerProcess = false;
    }
    else
    {
    EnvironmentHelpers.s_IsAppContainerProcess = EnvironmentHelpers.HasAppContainerToken();
    }
    }
    EnvironmentHelpers.s_IsAppContainerProcessInitalized = true;
    }
    return EnvironmentHelpers.s_IsAppContainerProcess;
    }
    }

Code:
    // System.EnvironmentHelpers
    [SecuritySafeCritical]
    [SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.Assert, Flags = (SecurityPermissionFlag.UnmanagedCode | SecurityPermissionFlag.ControlPrincipal))]
    private unsafe static bool HasAppContainerToken()
    {
    int* ptr = stackalloc int[(UIntPtr)1];
    uint num = 0u;
    using (WindowsIdentity current = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent(TokenAccessLevels.Query))
    {
    if (!UnsafeNativeMethods.GetTokenInformation(current.Token, 29u, new IntPtr((void*)ptr), 4u, out num))
    {
    throw new Win32Exception();
    }
    }
    return *ptr != 0;
    }
    Code:
    // System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter
    private static void VerifyWriteableCounterAllowed()
    {
    if (EnvironmentHelpers.IsAppContainerProcess)
    {
    throw new NotSupportedException(SR.GetString("PCNotSupportedUnderAppContainer"));
    }
    }
    and mscorlib
    Code:
    // System.Environment
    internal static bool IsWindows8OrAbove
    {
    get
    {
    if (!Environment.s_CheckedOSWin8OrAbove)
    {
    OperatingSystem oSVersion = Environment.OSVersion;
    bool arg_48_0 = Environment.s_IsWindows8OrAbove = (oSVersion.Platform == PlatformID.Win32NT && ((oSVersion.Version.Major == 6 && oSVersion.Version.Minor >= 2) || oSVersion.Version.Major > 6));
    Environment.s_CheckedOSWin8OrAbove = true;
    }
    return Environment.s_IsWindows8OrAbove;
    }
    }

Code:
    // System.Globalization.IdnMapping
    public string GetAscii(string unicode, int index, int count)
    {
    if (Environment.IsWindows8OrAbove)
    {
    return this.GetAsciiUsingOS(unicode);
    }
    }

Code:
    // System.Globalization.IdnMapping
    public string GetUnicode(string ascii, int index, int count)
    {
    if (Environment.IsWindows8OrAbove)
    {
    return this.GetUnicodeUsingOS(ascii);
    }
    }

Code:
    // System.Environment
    internal static bool IsWinRTSupported
    {
    [SecuritySafeCritical]
    get
    {
    if (!Environment.s_CheckedWinRT)
    {
    Environment.s_WinRTSupported = Environment.WinRTSupported();
    Environment.s_CheckedWinRT = true;
    }
    return Environment.s_WinRTSupported;
    }
    }

Code:
    // System.Environment
    [SuppressUnmanagedCodeSecurity, SecurityCritical]
    [DllImport("QCall", CharSet = CharSet.Unicode)]
    [return: MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.Bool)]
    private static extern bool WinRTSupported();

9. bored_neo

Jun 3, 2011
    And for the sake of completness you can find token information class 29 in System.Security.Principal.TokenInformationClass: TokenIsAppContainer :)

10. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
  11. John Peterson

John Peterson MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2009
    #251 John Peterson, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    Is that how you run wwa? It doesn't work for me. Tried for example wwahost /appid Tweetarama.App /manifest "C:\Program Files\Applications\microsoft.tweetrama_1.0.0.8_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml". Only gives the message "The system cannot execute the specified program.". Double clicking wwahost.exe gives the message "This application can only run in the context of an AppContainer."

12. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
    #252 NaiveUser, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    Well, things are constantly changing between builds :)
    for AppContainer exe, I believe there was a StartAppcontainer.exe in the build tools directory in some previous leaked builds like 7959 x64 or 7927 x86, you may try that. And, the command line paramters syntax could also change, IIRC it has already changed in 7989, I guess it takes a 'moniker' or something now. Maybe I will also try this later.