Windows 8 Anti-Virus.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by akash4357, Aug 8, 2012.

1. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Yes Avast is the best one out there, it supports windows 8 and it's FREE.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Trojans/Viruses can't be detected just because, most solutions have heusteric to detect default "bad" actions, but thats about it.. everything else needs signatures so your pc can detect known Trojan/Virus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rockyshaw

rockyshaw MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2011
    TDL4 rootkits cannot be detected and this year defcon a researcher successfully bypassed every antivirus and them planted the virus in BIOS , which can only be removed by flashing BIOS or using a BIOS that uses cryptography.

4. rockyshaw

Jun 1, 2011
    antiviruses are giving you a false sense of security

5. M4trix

M4trix MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks, will try. :)

6. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    (rockyshaw)
    I have never used antivirus in my life and my pc works fine, none of my accounts ever hacked :haha::suicide:

7. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    PHUA.. that YOU know of...I am sure you are part of a botnet and are to cunning to even know about it. :bicycle: Seriously though, having an antivirus installed is for many an insurance, not a remedy. You will probably not have any use of it until the day it actually make your investment in it worthwhile. I rather have it, and never use it, than not having it and suddenly needing it.

And what the hell has any of your accounts anywhere to do with AV protection? Anyone with access to vBulletin source can decrypt your password, given access to the database.

8. rockyshaw

Jun 1, 2011
    banking trojans are there to capture keystrokes and lot of keyloggers can be converted into standalone exe to install in the victims pc , so that is why antivirus has to do with account protection, plus if you had read any password guides all of them say you to use diffrent passwords , and if you use a secure enough password mixed with symobols letters numbers , with uppercase anb lowercase letters , good luck decrypting the password plus email accounts now come with 2 factor authenciation so i can easily reset the password if i get hacked , because some dumb admins store password in plain text.

9. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    No, the admins dont always choose to store passwords in plain text. The SYSTEM they use do. Some people still think it is good customer service to be able to tell the user his password.

I often do a password reset test, using the relevant system it self, like vBulletin here. If I am not happy with the generated password, I make my own. And you are of course right, that has not so much to do with AV software, however an good AV software should be able to detect keylogger activity. It falls under Trojan prevention.

10. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I disabed Windows Defender entirely on Windows 8, as I did in Windows 7. I don't really see the point to AV software. I don't click on everything I see, and by the way catching a virus is not as easy as it seems. If I download a suspicious executable, I scan it using Trend Micro Housecall and that's that. Windows Firewall is on, however. That does not use up system resources.

11. rockyshaw

Jun 1, 2011
    Even windows antimalware service takes only 30-35 mb in a 64bit system , which is very good and I think you guys should seriously consider av-comparatives test before choosing an antivirus.

12. JustNicky

JustNicky MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    Microsoft Security Essentials it's free and comes with the software ... :coffee:

13. rockyshaw

Jun 1, 2011
    Microsoft also provides EMET which helps to block 0 day exploits and very light on resources anyway not using java and flash will solve 99% of getting infected problem and not using noob's pen drives' will solve the other 1%

14. iamdev

iamdev MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    Win8Pro64bit try with Avira and not working!!!

15. TheMarine

TheMarine MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Have to agree 100 percent - Norton 360 is not worth the box it is shipped in... :mad:

Ray, The ole retired Marine...

16. Prider1

Prider1 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    Kaspersky 2013 is working perfectly for windows 8.. Search windows 8 and kaspersky at both in google :biggrin:

17. acetone802000

acetone802000 MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    I had a lots of problems with kis 2013:

Apps crashes
    Some internet downloads or sites are unavailable ....

18. Prider1

Prider1 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    I just installed today. Need to check.. and explore thing with KIS 13 :rolleyes:

19. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    For KIS 2013, go to beta testing forum and download the latest beta. Don't forget to read FAQ before installing KAV/KIS on Windows 8 :excl:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...