Windows 8 Apps not working anymore?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jcgo16, Nov 26, 2011.

1. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    UAC has nothing really to do with Metro Apps. Microsoft just linked the two together to essentially block you from disabling UAC, something which was commonplace on Windows 7. Microsoft are really forcing peoples hands here, to the point where 'if you aren't happy with it, too bad'. The Apps is a 'forced' feature as that is what is keeping the Windows 8 price down. They believe they can make more money through the 30 percent store royalties for Metro Apps.

The desktop view is pretty much a 'compatibility' view for 'old' (current) programs. They really do not want you to use it because it means you aren't forking out money left, right, and centre for Metro Apps. This is why they blocked the boot to desktop feature, and removed the 'aero' prettiness since it's not an inherent part of Metro. They tried to make Windows 8 a 'one size fits all' from tablets to desktops, with the Metro UI very much Tablet oriented.

2. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Finally I did reinstall Windows 8 RTM Enterprise, as unfortunately there is NOT a solution to the problem when the apps don't work any longer.

I learnt a few things:

1. I don't dare to touch the UAC: I'll leave it the way it is by default.
    2. I don't switch the way I log in: I have to leave it the way I chose at installing Windows.

3. tinybutstrong

tinybutstrong MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Someone tried to make some hack/patch to allow to run metro apps with UAC off? I see animated tiles still updating with new emails, weather, news, etc.. you just can't to open.

4. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    enterprise version don't ask for key but to add key is just slmgr.vbs -ipk 32... I have my uac all the way down and all my metro apps works. so maybe the prob was the changing they way you login

5. tinybutstrong

tinybutstrong MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2010
    I mean real UAC off by EnableLUA = 0 in registry, try it to confirm that.

It says: "Can't open while User Account Control is turned off".

6. lunario

Aug 5, 2012
    #46 lunario, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    well if you disable lua no more metro apps so its better that uac is only all the way down I can move file to program files that way but cannot edit them so I don't want to disable uac completely in win8

7. lunario

Aug 5, 2012
    anyway I want my metro apps so I guess saving the edited file in program files to desktop and the moving it to program files again is the price to pay

8. shawnilink

shawnilink MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2013
    you can contact the apps owner to help for this.