Windows 8 - Black screen in startup!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ebeltoft, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ebeltoft

ebeltoft MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2012
    Hi!

I bought a upgrade licence some days ago, and since then I have been trying to get Windows 8 to work properly. I have had to reinstall the OS three times, because I get black screen in start up.

After the Windows logo I get a black flashing screen, where the only thing I can see is the cursor. First time I got this problem, I fixed it by booting up in safe mode and removing some Nvidia drivers. Some hours later it happened again, this time I wasnt able to enter safe mode. Reinstalled the OS, but same same problem again. This time after Windows update.

I have a new Asus N56VZ laptop, that should be able to run Windows 8, and the only programs I installed was UXstyle and Google chrome. Any ideas whats wrong? Is this a known problem?

2. Adidas

Adidas MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Check maybe ASUS drivers page and see if there is a new driver to fix this issue. there was a similar problem on DELL PC's in which after WIN8 installation there was a black screen, DELL fixed this issue with BIOS update.

3. ebeltoft

ebeltoft MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2012
    Thank you for replying! I see this message on the driver page:

.Note!! If your system contains IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) or Nvidia VGA driver, please read below issues thoroughly and follow the driver installing SOP to upgrade your system.

Subject SOP
    IRST Please do not uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. User only could install the new IRST driver directly to update.
    Nvidia VGA driver Please remove old version of NVIDIA VGA driver and install NVIDIA VGA driver V9.18.13.0668 or above version under Windows 7 environment before upgrade to Windows 8.

hxxp://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=390&m=N56VZ&os=30&hashedid=dQ05pflVfztxEczD

But is this relevant for the black screen issue? The drivers in Windows 7 should not affect Windows 8?

4. Adidas

Adidas MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
  5. ebeltoft

ebeltoft MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2012
    #5 ebeltoft, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    (OP)
    No, I didnt get black screen immediately after installing Windows 8. First time, I got black screen after installing Nvidia drivers, but this was possible to solve by entering safe mode and uninstalling them again. Then, I got it again after some hours, without installing any new drivers, this time safe mode couldnt help me.

Because of this I reinstalled the system without installing any drivers, this time it rebooted fine many times, until I ran Windows Update, then the same issue occured.

6. noncentz705

noncentz705 MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2012
    #6 noncentz705, Oct 31, 2012
    i had a similar problem caused by the hybrid shutdown and fast startup power options. The update ms released to apparently fix the problems are what caused them for me in the first place. I can only suggest you hold off installing updates unless their critical or from your hardware manufacturers.

edit: try avoiding this hotfix,
    [h=3]KB 2756559[/h]

7. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Here is a possibility: By any chance do you have a HDMI cable connected to your PC's video out? I do and when I install either Windows 7 or 8, the OS thinks I'm connected to my TV rather than my monitor. The solution is to turn on the TV and set the input so that it is receiving from your PC. You should then see your desktop on the TV. Using your mouse, change the display settings from "Extend Desktop" to "Duplicate Desktop". When you save that change, you should once again be able to see your desktop on your monitor.

8. ebeltoft

ebeltoft MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2012
    #8 ebeltoft, Oct 31, 2012
    (OP)
    Ah, maybee this update was installed when the black screen occured after Windows Update. I havent done anything in the power options, but I guess I should try to avoid this fix when I have reinstalled it again! Thank you :)

9. ebeltoft

ebeltoft MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2012
    Nope, didnt have it connected to any TV/monitor, but thanks for the suggestion!

10. MyDigito

MyDigito MDL Member

Aug 16, 2012
    :mad: ~30 Black f... Screen here
    I can say that Start8 creates a problem as a black screen.
    I did reboot several times but to no avail.
    I went to safe mode and lifted off programfiles Stardock folder.
    I got tested and worked here.

M $ is blocking it already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Start8 is known as "Garbageware"; well pretty much anything made from Startdock is garbageware. It will jack your system up and it has not failed to show its track record in the past. If you want the "Real" start menu back, look at my sig and try out startisback. If you like it enough, a licence is an amazing low price of $3 for 2 computers.

12. pmem

pmem MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2012
    I had this issue too,
    UxStyle
    it's causing the problem! If you have UxStyle don't use KB2770917 or don't use UxStyle if you install KB2770917. They updated the ux dlls and the UxStyle leads with the old ones, i guess.

13. MyDigito

MyDigito MDL Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Start8 is that it automatically selects the language in which the OS is installed. Can Startisback does the same?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Yes, it is available in a wide array of languages as well.

15. MyDigito

MyDigito MDL Member

Aug 16, 2012
    #15 MyDigito, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    Is working as it should be!.:biggrin:

16. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Video card issue or driver. try using linux dvd without installing and see if the same is happening ?. without testing the card it is difficult to condemn it or windows . I would usually allow windows 8 to innstal without any added drivers and see what happens