Windows 8 Clean Install From Upgrade Key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NSDCars5, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Every time I have done this there has been an preexisting OS on the drive which I then deleted by removing the partition. The point is the windows installer had the opportunity to verify a previous install. I have never tried it with a drive that contained no file system or OS.

Can you verify that this works on a brand new or naked drive. Reason I ask is that some people HAVE had problems with refusal to activate after an install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. swodinw

swodinw MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2012
    #22 swodinw, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    You have the double installs with one os: mydigitallife.net/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

3. Drsela

Drsela MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    I did completly format my hard drive, and installed Windows 8. It worked the first time, but when I did a week later (had some problems, so I had to reinstall) it didn't work.

Windows 8 said the my license only was valid for an upgrade edtion. Then I called Microsoft, and some support guy gave me some instructions. I restarted after following his instructions, and boom... Windows was activated again! :)

So if it doesn't work, then call Microsoft and they'll fix it

4. lnstevens1976

lnstevens1976 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Just for everyones information, the upgrade tool does not check if it is a "Valid license". As a matter of fact I ran the upgrade tool on a fresh install of Windows 7 with "NO" activation, etc... and the 30 day trial pending and it went through allowing the purchase of the upgrade.

This doesn't mean they won't fix it (or maybe already have), but it was working as long as it was a valid copy of windows and not past the expiration date of a trial key.

5. Drsela

Drsela MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    The Microsoft guy, asked me to launch a program.. I can't remember the name, though. Then he gave me a code, which I had to enter. Then I restarted, and Windows was activated :)

6. johnnygt

johnnygt MDL Senior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    wwf or maybe just cmd

7. depman

depman MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2008
    This worked for me
    Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
    Navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
    In the right pane, change the value data for MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0.
    Open an elevated command prompt as administrator.
    Run the command below similar to reset Windows 7 activation status:
    slmgr -rearm
    Reboot the computer.
    Check windows activation status

8. XRobRoyX

XRobRoyX MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2012
    As I say in my post #20 ...​it is verified. I have done this many times on new installs.(follow my instructions)
    The only difference between the upgrade version and the full version is that the upgrade does not include the Windows 8, only Windows 8 pro (to open you need to include an ei.cfg file in the folder resources on the disk, this also give the opportunity to install without any key, you still need to activate within 30 days)

The upgrade version is also a Retail edition.

Have a great day

9. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    I got my key while using a BIOS mod activated Win7 which was non genuine because i updated the bios for Win8. i was still able to get a key in this state ;)

i fresh installed on a brand new SSD using

Windows 8 RTM English, 64-bit (x64)
    Size: 3.33 GB SHA-1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4
    Download: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

in the Win 8 Repository with no issues ;) have also got my free WMC key and upgraded to that... i have since reinstalled Win8 2 more times once trying the WMC to install with but i typed the wrong code (couldnt read my own hand writing... sigh)

10. swodinw

swodinw MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2012
    Yes, but it does not work for everyone.It is better to create a system image or use System Restore and create a clean system image.